What's going on with dining on QM2???

deck chair

A very good friend of mine just boarded the QM2 in NY this afternoon.   Even though CUNARD has made a big deal out of maintaining traditional dining times with an added open sitting for those seeking more flexibility, it is NOT the case at least on this crossing.  Even though she was confirmed for traditional second sitting with same table etc. when she boarded, she found to her huge surprise that she will need to make reservations each evening.  Therre is no set table. What is Cunard doing?   Why are they going against a practice they just announced to great fanfare just weeks ago?  I think a lot of passengers who relied on Cunard's guidance will be understandably angered.

Deck Chair 

Edited by deck chair

This has been the situation on QM2 since she returned to service and discussed in several threads here.

The "new" system of 2 fixed sittings and open dining hasn't started on QM2 yet.

"Open Dining will be available from 3 October 2022 on Queen Elizabeth, 23 October 2022 on Queen Victoria, or 1 November 2022 on Queen Mary 2. Check My Cunard to choose your preferred dining time before you sail."

8 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Sounds like solos looking for the camaraderie of the same dining companions each evening are in for a lonely crossing.  The lack of fixed dining is my main reason for avoiding NCL. 

I felt that at the beginning of the crossing, and I did have one unsatisfactory evening with four of us on a table of eight, only one of whom spoke any English.

The other nights, in the end it worked out well and I found myself on tables with interesting conversations.  I didn’t have the camaraderie you get of being in the same group all week, but I did have that first night experience of meeting a new bunch of people multiple nights over.

What I disliked the most was the uncertainty - dressing for dinner and having to wait in line to be allocated a table, with no idea who I’d be sitting with, imagining the risk of a half empty table, people who didn’t speak English, or arriving as the gooseberry in an established group.  For this reason alone I preferred the old system.  Although if Cunard could guarantee that solos and sociable couples would be mixed together on full tables or eight or ten, and pay some attention to people’s languages, it would also make for an enjoyable experience, meeting new people each night.

But in reality it wasn’t that organised - a short line of impatient people being allocated almost randomly to tables, with anyone wanting to argue about it knowing they were holding up the line.  And the wine waiters having to scurry here and there looking for diners’ bottles from the night before.

On 10/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, Host Hattie said:

This has been the situation on QM2 since she returned to service and discussed in several threads here.

The "new" system of 2 fixed sittings and open dining hasn't started on QM2 yet.

"Open Dining will be available from 3 October 2022 on Queen Elizabeth, 23 October 2022 on Queen Victoria, or 1 November 2022 on Queen Mary 2. Check My Cunard to choose your preferred dining time before you sail."

HI Hattie!!!   Thank you for the advisory.  Very helpful.  However, my friend who has many Cunard voyages under her belt, told me that Cunard assured her that traditional dining would be in place for the crossing she is on.   In addition, my friend told me that other passengers were assured as well and were upset to find that they had been misled.   So, who knows what happened.  I think it's a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.  Meanwhile she reports that the ship is carrying about 2,200 passengers so 400 under strength.   The weather has been very dreary with rather calm seas.     She also reports that the crossing has been very pleasant.  No parties which are sorely missed.   Crew appears very happy.   Thank you, Hattie.  Be well.

Deck  Chair.

• Like 2

Friends were on the WB that arrived in NY on Tuesday. They were confirmed for late sitting, large table, and were disappointed to discover that it was all open seating for late dining. They prefer to eat later but changed to the first sitting in order to have the same table every night. They were very happy with their companions for the week.

On my crossing in March the open dining worked pretty well. I asked always for a table just for myself and since I liked the location and the waiters on the very first evening- i asked to be seated right there every evening- worked like charm. Different story, when single travelers seek company.

Anyway not one voyage I sailed solo that i did not find agreeable company around the ship.

• Like 1

We are currently on a round trip TA.  Our table was shown as booked in the planner for every evening on the SOU-NY half, but nothing on the return.  On our last evening on the first half we checked and were told we would be on the same table.  Nothing appeared in the planner but we went to it as before and were told our seats were not available as it had been booked for a party of six.  Much confusion and not helped by the fact it was the first night for people who boarded at New York but after about 15 minutes they decided this party of six did not exist - there were alread y two sat there who knew nothing of such a thing - so we did get the tables we thought we had in the first place.

6 hours ago, WestonOne said:

We are currently on a round trip TA.  Our table was shown as booked in the planner for every evening on the SOU-NY half, but nothing on the return.  On our last evening on the first half we checked and were told we would be on the same table.  Nothing appeared in the planner but we went to it as before and were told our seats were not available as it had been booked for a party of six.  Much confusion and not helped by the fact it was the first night for people who boarded at New York but after about 15 minutes they decided this party of six did not exist - there were alread y two sat there who knew nothing of such a thing - so we did get the tables we thought we had in the first place.

I'm so sorry however there is no excuse for this chaos and confusion.   It makes one question the competence of Cunard management.  

DECK CHAIR

4 hours ago, deck chair said:

I'm so sorry however there is no excuse for this chaos and confusion.   It makes one question the competence of Cunard management.  

DECK CHAIR

New Hires do not appear to have much in the way of Hospitality skills.

I have encountered no one on the current crossing who thinks the 'open' dining is a better option than assigned tables.

According to the folks on the 'platform' in Britannia there are currently no plans or directives to switch back to reserved seating availability for the late seating. Apparently no one at Cunard shore side [including their faceplant presence responsible for the 1 November policy change claim] speaks with the folks actually on the ships.

As noted in the 'live update' thread we were able to finagle a reserved table for the eastbound crossing by invoking 'special needs' and our linked booking [ship side had no knowledge of the linked booking]

Just off the Queen Victoria and despite paying Cunard Fare and having second sitting confirmed we were forced into open dining. It’s totally chaotic and I’m afraid it’s a deal breaker if I can’t get confirmed second sitting.  The Maitre’d was unhelpful, rude and seemed totally lost. 
Service onboard is awful at the moment. Not enough staff, yet ship fully booked. Waits of 30 minutes for a drink in Commodore Club. 2 waiting staff for entire room.

Sorry Cunard. Won’t be back. 

1 hour ago, GBTraveller said:

Just off the Queen Victoria and despite paying Cunard Fare and having second sitting confirmed we were forced into open dining. It’s totally chaotic and I’m afraid it’s a deal breaker if I can’t get confirmed second sitting.  The Maitre’d was unhelpful, rude and seemed totally lost. 
Service onboard is awful at the moment. Not enough staff, yet ship fully booked. Waits of 30 minutes for a drink in Commodore Club. 2 waiting staff for entire room.

Sorry Cunard. Won’t be back. 

That's really sad.

The new management with it's new ideas seems to be quite good in alienating passengers who liked the Cunard way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

That's really sad.

The new management with it's new ideas seems to be quite good in alienating passengers who liked the Cunard way.

When the children take over it is usually a mess until they learn or go out of business.

• Haha 2

As is often the case, it depends on whom you ask. We’re on board now and returning November 13 - and we were assured by a maitre d’ that when we come back the ship will once again offer a fixed second seating option. So we’ll see. 

We should now have a fixed table reservation - hopefully continuing the same waiter & table that we arranged for the eastbound crossing.

Brittania lower level will be reserved / assigned tables, with 8:30 PM seating time. The upper level will continue with ‘open’ seating.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Britannia Evening Dining Times

I have just  disembarked from Queen Victoria ( 11th November )

The new evening dining times in the Main Britannia Restaurant are as follows 

OPEN SITTING  5.45pm - last orders 9pm   Lower Level Deck 2

FIXED DINING ( dedicated table and waiter)   First sitting 5.45pm - last orders 6.15pm 

Second sitting 8.15pm -last orders 8.45pm

Fixed dining on upper level Deck 3

These new dining times came into effect on the 30th October voyage 2022

The times for the evening performance have been brought forward to 

8pm - 10pm 

After speaking with a Senior Cunard Executive ( from head office shoreside) who happened  also to be onboard my cruise,  I understand that the concept of Open & Fixed evening dining in 'the main Britannia' restaurant  will 'eventually' be consistent across the Cunard fleet. ( the times may be adjusted once the cocktail receptions are reintroduced. )  

QG/PG & Britannia Club Evening dining 6.30pm -9pm 

Thanks, Bell Boy, for that useful information.  Please would you clarify that the evening performance times in the theatre are 8pm and 10pm (two performances) or is there now only one performance 8pm - 10pm?