Enforcement

Tutuma

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

Ah, there is no substitute for poor manners.

The next day we had a short discussion with the Hotel Director and our Barista in the morning..

The next evening (non formal night) we both came to Seabourn Square in our formal bathrobes.  The Hotel Director was there as was our favorite Barista and we all had a good laugh...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

The next day we had a short discussion with the Hotel Director and our Barista in the morning..

The next evening (non formal night) we both came to Seabourn Square in our formal bathrobes.  The Hotel Director was there as was our favorite Barista and we all had a good laugh...

When dealt lemons....   🍋 = 🧋  Good story.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

Speaking of bathrobes.

How do people feel about others wearing their bathrobes in the executive lounge or the laundry room?

Doesn’t bother me.  Probably better than seeing what under the robe.  Some people might not pack a lot and this gives the chance at washing all their underwear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can understand Oceania not wanting to call-out passengers for poor choice of clothing post-CoVID while they’re trying to keep sailing. But if so, they should do away with a dress code altogether. I also get annoyed seeing someone flout a “regulation” that I’m expected to follow, but wouldn’t let it ruin my dinner. 

• Like 1

"Dress code"is a legacy from the days of ocean liners across the Pond.   In "First Class" only a xylophone player walked the First Class passageways calling all to diner.  Dark suit and "ball gowns" were required.  That was the 1950s when men wore hats outside and women never wore pants in public.  Much different today.  "Dress code" should be more a "cleanliness" code with most forms of dressing permitted.  We always dress "country club" which implies collared shirt, trousers, and pants/top for women.  Easy.  Dressing for a 1950s transatlantic in 2nd or 3rd class did not require "dressing up" and was much more casual.

1 minute ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We always dress "country club" which implies collared shirt, trousers, and pants/top for women.

Exactly.

We would dress smartly whether or not there were a dress code. We do that at restaurants at home too. The dress code is for those who don’t know any better. It gives the management a standard to cite if they want or if they need to.

Having said that I pay little attention to others in a dining area. My focus is my wife and the food (in that order?)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Having said that I pay little attention to others in a dining area. My focus is my wife and the food (in that order?)

And the bottle of red (or white) that soon enough renders everyone else out-of-focus. 😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Robjame said:

Exactly.

We would dress smartly whether or not there were a dress code. We do that at restaurants at home too. The dress code is for those who don’t know any better. It gives the management a standard to cite if they want or if they need to.

There's an old saying to the effect that clothes make the man.  I guess the image that some folks choose to project when the setting calls for some decorum is that they are slobs and likely slobs in their entirety.  It's also a big F You to the establishment and the rest of us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

There's an old saying to the effect that clothes make the man.  I guess the image that some folks choose to project when the setting calls for some decorum is that they are slobs and likely slobs in their entirety.  It's also a big F You to the establishment and the rest of us.

Quite accusatory.

So, you are saying folks that spend a lot of their professional time in t shirts and jeans are slobs?

Like Elon Musk? Richard Branson? Marc Cuban? Tim Cook? As easy examples.

Or are they just people, like so many, that do not dress to impress??  You can dress anyone up.

49 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

that spend a lot of their professional time

A few comments:

- pictures are easy to find of anyone of these people wearing formal, and very formal, clothing. Their ability is to know when and where to wear appropriate clothing

-. It is a style known as executive “norm-core” and is carefully crafted, coordinated and expensive and will never be mistaken with the style “cruise-slob”. The purpose for their particular style on any one day is very thoughtfully applied (and it’s not comfort). What is the purpose of that guy who wears cruise-slob?

- Pete surely your point is not that you think wearing cruise-slob will make you like Tim Cook et al? Not every person who wears boots and a string tie is a cowboy.

Or is it the unisex style you are going for….

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

There is a more applicable old saying, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Also how frigging self-centered does a person have to be to believe how other people dress is a personal insult to them? 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Robjame said:

A few comments:

- pictures are easy to find of anyone of these people wearing formal, and very formal, clothing. Their ability is to know when and where to wear appropriate clothing

-. It is a style known as executive “norm-core” and is carefully crafted, coordinated and expensive and will never be mistaken with the style “cruise-slob”. The purpose for their particular style on any one day is very thoughtfully applied (and it’s not comfort). What is the purpose of that guy who wears cruise-slob?

- Pete surely your point is not that you think wearing cruise-slob will make you like Tim Cook et al? Not every person who wears boots and a string tie is a cowboy.

Or is it the unisex style you are going for….

No, point was, to the the person I responded to, that dress does not "make the man".

Also, dressing  for dinner is no longer a "thing", on shore and should also be so on ship

Lastly that "they are slobs and likely slobs in their entirety." is also a presumption and not necessarily so. For instance,  I was very proper in meticulous Military uniform for 35 years and wore sweat pants or shorts and t shirts at home. If you saw me on a weekend or vacation, do you think I am slob in entirety?

Edited by pete_coach

Just now, pete_coach said:

No, point was, to the the person I responded to, that dress does not "make the man".

Also, dressing  for dinner is no longer a "thing", on shore and should also be so on ship

Lastly that "they are slobs and likely slobs in their entirety." is also a presumption and not necessarily so. For instance, for 35 years I was very proper in meticulous Military uniform for 35 years and wore sweat pants or shorts and t shirts at home. If you saw me on a weekend or vacation, do you think I am slob in entirety?

Pete as I said before, I don’t really care what anyone else wears in the Oceania restaurants - just trying to have some fun with you.

BTW those skinny cut J Jeans that Tim wears - $280 retail. That would pay for everything in my suitcase.

🤪

• Haha 1

JMO

It would not break the bank  for people to buy  a nice pr of Dockers or dress slacks & a polo to wear to dinner

If they can afford to wear designer  ripped jeans  at $300+ 

It is just they choose to flaunt  the rules & if called aside  start  a rukus

If you want more casual attire than Oceania requests  then just cruise on a line that allows  that

But if  management is not going to stop those people dressed  in joggers/bathrobes/ripped jeans   then   the rest of us  have to choose  to pick a line that cares about the  dress code they set in place  or we can go with the flow

I can sail on other lines if I want to see people in track suits at dinner

YMMV

Done here

• Like 4

Though what makes no sense to me is that we CAN be quite casual at the Waves and Terrace Cafes. My wife and I did NOT even eat once in the GDR on our 10-day cruise on Riviera 12/21 and we do NOT plan to eat at the GDR for our upcoming Sirena voyage 11/22. I much prefer eating under the stars aft wearing casual clothes to any more formal dress in the waitered GDR. BUT we did dress nicely for the specialty restaurants. And will do so again.

On 10/29/2022 at 2:07 AM, zalusky said:

Doesn’t bother me.  Probably better than seeing what under the robe.  Some people might not pack a lot and this gives the chance at washing all their underwear.

There was actually a man wearing an O robe in the laundry room on our last Marina cruise. He kept apologizing as people came in. Said his luggage had not arrived and he only had what he had traveled in.  It was a 14 day cruise. Wonder if his luggage ever caught up with him.

Forgive me as my info is third hand and via text message so I don't have a ton of details.

My parents are currently on am Oceania cruise in a location that I think many would dress for in a more casual way.  One of the couples they became friendly with apparently got a note in their cabin that they were not complying with the dress code and asked them to stop by guest services.  No idea what happened after that (but I'll ask my mother).

Personally,  I don't understand this.  If you're dressing inappropriately consistently,  I would imagine you simply didn't pack clothes that are appropriate.   Not quite sure how that would be remedied in the middle of the south Pacific.   

57 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though what makes no sense to me is that we CAN be quite casual at the Waves and Terrace Cafes. My wife and I did NOT even eat once in the GDR on our 10-day cruise on Riviera 12/21 and we do NOT plan to eat at the GDR for our upcoming Sirena voyage 11/22. I much prefer eating under the stars aft wearing casual clothes to any more formal dress in the waitered GDR. BUT we did dress nicely for the specialty restaurants. And will do so again.

What did you wear to the specialties ?

You could probably wear to the GDR   no "formal" attire  required  😉

What happens  when the outdoor space is closed due to bad weather  & the indoor space is packed??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Personally,  I don't understand this.  If you're dressing inappropriately consistently,  I would imagine you simply didn't pack clothes that are appropriate.   Not quite sure how that would be remedied in the middle of the south Pacific.   

Maybe they will be relegated to the Terrace or Room service for dinner ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

...I was very proper in meticulous Military uniform for 35 years and wore sweat pants or shorts and t shirts at home.

Did you change when you went out to dinner at a nice restaurant, or did you go in sweat pants?

40 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What did you wear to the specialties? You could probably wear to the GDR   no "formal" attire  required  ... What happens when the outdoor space is closed due to bad weather & the indoor space is packed??

Back in 12/21 on Riviera I wore a suit and tie. My wife wore a dress. To all 4 of the specialty restaurants. BUT we drove to Miami and could over pack. We are flying this time in 11/22 so no suit jacket for me or tie this time for the 2 specialty restaurants.

Inclement weather disrupted 1 evening outdoors aft IIRC, so we ate inside by a window that one night at the Terrace Cafe. We had only 719 passengers. AND we tend to eat right at 1830. Get there a bit early to be early birds. BUT if it were too crowded, we'd just adjust our time eating to suit. Not a big deal.