Bed bugs?

Cruisish

No, I have not on any cruise ship.    Actually I have traveled for a living for 30 years and have spent hundreds of nights in hotels and have never had bed bugs anywhere.   Spiders love to taste me but not bed bugs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

I'm curious to hear from anyone who may have encountered bed bugs on HAL. We have unfortunately had that experience and are distressed and disappointed in their response. 

I'm sorry to hear that. What ship were you on? I have never experienced that.

1 hour ago, Cruisish said:

I'm curious to hear from anyone who may have encountered bed bugs on HAL. We have unfortunately had that experience and are distressed and disappointed in their response. 

Please provide specific info

after 200 cruises we have never encountered that horrible problem

we are taking our FIRST Holland cruise on Saturday and are now

Feeling quite concerned 

what ship please?

7 minutes ago, scott45 said:

Please provide specific info

after 200 cruises we have never encountered that horrible problem

we are taking our FIRST Holland cruise on Saturday and are now

Feeling quite concerned 

what ship please?

I do not think you should be concerned.  We have sailed nearly 100 days on HA and have never experienced bed bugs.  Also sailing on Saturday and really looking forward to the attention to detail and level of cleanliness we have come to expect.  

• Like 2

Bed bugs just like Covid and Noro will happen........it's inevitable......And I'm sure HAL knows how best to handle and it is not "their first rodeo".

We are 3 stars and never heard of or experienced bed bugs on a HAL ship.....Also, never experienced them at the Marriotts either (platinum)....But know that it will happen to someone sometime.

Get out there............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

On a behind the scenes tour on a HAL ship pre-pandemic we saw the Housekeeping Office.  On the wall was a many-paged clip board titled "Bed Bugs".  Looks like they keep track of which cabins have been affected, and presumably, how they are taken care of.

Thanks for your input. It's good that there's attention to it but I'm saddened by the denial towards those affected by it.

1 minute ago, Cruisish said:

Thanks for your input. It's good that there's attention to it but I'm saddened by the denial towards those affected by it.

Before sending your question, did you ever think about the route/means of transportation of your own suitcases to the ship? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Before sending your question, did you ever think about the route/means of transportation of your own suitcases to the ship? 

Sure I did, but that doesn't have anything to do with my question. I genuinely would like to know whether others have experienced this and what the response was.

17 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

We are not denying anything, we are saying it never was part of our experience.  We are also saying all avenues need to be considered because it is not always simple.  I guess it depends on what you want from HAL.  From us you are only going to get our own experience 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam. I've never encountered this problem before in my life. I certainly don't expect bed bugs but at the same time was shocked when they said they've never before had them. Hard to believe. 

I am slightly confuddled here.....you say you have never encountered them in your life, but you are shocked that someone else (HAL) has never had them before??  

Unfortunately they are everywhere and even though I have spent my life travelling and sleeping in 'strange' beds, I also have not encountered them. If I did have a bed that was infected and notified management I would expect them to fumigate the bed/deal with the problem, that is it. Nothing more.  

• Like 3

Frequent traveller who has never encountered bed bugs but always pulls up the sheet to check the mattress before unpacking.

If my cabin had bed bugs, I would want to be moved to a different cabin.  My understanding is that they are not easy to get rid of and I would not want to sleep in a room that had been fumigated.  Nothing more (but I wouldn’t turn down a cabin upgrade).😉

• Like 1

For context, we discovered actual bugs in the bed on day four of the cruise which is also when we initially identified bites. They're continuing to develop. Presence of bed bugs was confirmed. 

How awful! Did they move you to another cabin?

42 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We are not denying anything, we are saying it never was part of our experience.  We are also saying all avenues need to be considered because it is not always simple.  I guess it depends on what you want from HAL.  From us you are only going to get our own experience 

Hi there, my reference to denial wasn't directed towards you but rather to some of the responders on the ship. Apologies for wording that poorly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisish said:

70 cruises and never bed bugs. It is possible the bed bugs traveled with you onto the ship, perhaps from a hotel. 

2 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

70 cruises and never bed bugs. It is possible the bed bugs traveled with you onto the ship, perhaps from a hotel. 

Well, yes, they had to get on the ship somehow but I don't think that is the OP's issue. I think their objection was to HAL's response to the problem.

• Like 2