Bed bugs?

Cruisish

2 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

Yes they did

That's good! But I too find it disingenuous of HAL to say they've never had that problem. I would imagine most hotels and ships have encountered that problem at some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

70 cruises and never bed bugs. It is possible the bed bugs traveled with you onto the ship, perhaps from a hotel. 

I suppose it is but it's unlikely. No problem at home, no hotel en route, and no bites appeared until day four. I realize that these things can happen. I'm really just curious as to whether this is an isolated incident or a wider issue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

That's good! But I too find it disingenuous of HAL to say they've never had that problem. I would imagine most hotels and ships have encountered that problem at some time.

Same, thank you for understanding. The response didn't make sense to me which is why I'm asking for other people's experiences. 

7 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

I see you are a new poster how did you find cruise critic and the HAL forum and the first comments are a concern.  Always surprises me that some new posters just have complaints.  Why not just be in contact with HAL. 

Hello and good day! Yep, new poster but long time lingerer. Why should that matter? I've used this forum pretty extensively to research my cruises but never had a reason to post before. Is it okay to ask a question here, or are there conditions?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

Hello and good day! Yep, new poster but long time lingerer. Why should that matter? I've used this forum pretty extensively to research my cruises but never had a reason to post before. Is it okay to ask a question here, or are there conditions?

No conditions great your a long time lingerer, just seems odd that you never felt to post anything positive ever, and you are just posting as your first post a negative experience.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, loveheart said:

We had bed bugs on our RCI cruise a few years ago. We were moved immediately, had all our clothes laundered, were given wine and 50% off a future cruise each

I'm sorry you experienced that but am glad that RCI took care of you. I don't think that people realize what a severe disruption this is to the experience. I hope that all of the nasty critters were left behind when you disembarked! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruisish said:

No, there are no "conditions". I understand your question and concern. We traveled to Arles, France and planned on staying at a bed and breakfast. Upon arrival the innkeeper had told us our room had contacted bed bugs and moved us to their best suite. Honesty was very appreciated. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

No conditions great your a long time lingerer, just seems odd that you never felt to post anything positive ever, and you are just posting as your first post a negative experience.  

Nevermind

Edited by Sea42

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

No, there are no "conditions". I understand your question and concern. We traveled to Arles, France and planned on staying at a bed and breakfast. Upon arrival the innkeeper had told us our room had contacted bed bugs and moved us to their best suite. Honesty was very appreciated. 

And by the way, after retiring from Boeing and moving to Montana,  I was an innkeeper at our B & B. I had a monthly service that checked and sprayed for bugs and they also checked for bed bugs. Never had them thank goodness!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's fantastic. Thanks for your response. 

I’ve never experienced beg bugs on a cruise ship but did find them when I checked the piping of the bedding at the intercontinental in Miami (pre cruise). We were moved to a new room and comped the night.

Bed bugs do find their way onboard ships. Lots of reports over the years. Maybe do a search for bed bugs in the forum.

I think it’s disingenuous that HAL is denying that they have ever dealt with this issue onboard. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruisish said:

I'm curious to hear from anyone who may have encountered bed bugs on HAL. We have unfortunately had that experience and are distressed and disappointed in their response. 

They moved you to another cabin, but you are distressed and disappointed, what would make you less distressed, and less disappointed?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

My guess is that the person (people?) the OP spoke with had never encountered the issue during their time on the ship.  I’ve never encountered the issue on any of my HAL cruises but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s never happened; just that I’ve never experienced it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

My guess is that the person (people?) the OP spoke with had never encountered the issue during their time on the ship.  I’ve never encountered the issue on any of my HAL cruises but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s never happened; just that I’ve never experienced it.

I would hope that is something that the crew would be trained to look for when servicing cabins.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

They moved you to another cabin, but you are distressed and disappointed, what would make you less distressed, and less disappointed?

I suppose I'd appreciate it if HAL acknowledged the reality of the situation from our perspective instead of implying that we created the issue. It completely ruined our vacation. Not for anyone here to worry about, but I'd like to understand others experiences. I've never encountered this before. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cruisish said:

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam. I've never encountered this problem before in my life. I certainly don't expect bed bugs but at the same time was shocked when they said they've never before had them. Hard to believe. 

We are on that ship in a week… what room where you in originally? 

8 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

I see you are a new poster how did you find cruise critic and the HAL forum and the first comments are a concern.  Always surprises me that some new posters just have complaints.  Why not just be in contact with HAL. 

Wow...Like calling the police when your house has been burglarized and having the officer say to you I see you have never called the police before. Well officer my house has never been burglarized before. Same here. The poster, and it appears the vast majority of members here, have also never experienced them either. It doesn't make the posters concern less important.

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 2