Best Carnival Beach Excursion in Costa Maya

IntrepidFromDC

The two times I've been to Krazy Lobster in Oct 2021 and May 2022, the taxis are a set $4.00 per person.  The massages on the beach are $10 for 30 minutes or $20 for an hour.  I did negotiate for some of the souvenirs from the vendors. 

I went to The Krazy Lobster FB page and messaged the owner Mauricio asking if they would be open the day we were in port.  He responded in a timely fashion and asked how many in our party.  I do think you could just go to The Krazy Lobster without contacting them but it gave me a sense of comfort.

Lunch of lobster, rice and corn was yummy.  Margaritas tasty and frapped up well.  

I just felt a sense of peacefulness with the breezes playing through the palm trees.  Water was protected from the seagrass with nets.

Having said that, I have read about Jamie's at The Blue Reef.  Sounds pretty nifty as well but I don't know if they have the beach massage.  I almost fell asleep, it was so relaxing.  Here are some Krazy Lobster pics:

beach.jpg

lobster.jpg

massage.jpg

view.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Those of you who have visited multiple beaches on Carnival excursions in Costa Maya, which is the best beach for pure swimming enjoyment?  Think like Half Moon Cay...  TIA

There is really no need for an excursion if you just want a beach day. Just get a taxi to nearby Mahahual and find one of the restaurants / bars / beach clubs along the beach that rent loungers or offer them free with food / drink purchase. Krazy Lobster is a great option if you don’t want all-inclusive. Jamie’s at the Blue Reef and YaYa Beach Club are good all-inclusive options.

If you want to snorkel, there are several operators along the beach. I used The Dive Center last month and they were excellent.

As an FYI, the beach / water in Costa Maya is not the bright white sand / blue water that you will find in much of the Caribbean. The water is clean and swimming is fine, it’s just not what many expect.

First photo is Jamie’s at the Blue Reef. Next 2 photos are from Krazy Lobster.

FB11B141-FA48-4FAA-B750-2F056752295E.jpeg

6C6F9A7B-995B-4398-B6F6-A86559F6C7AF.jpeg

98F4F7F6-D98C-4FCB-BA83-9EED5EA8BE25.jpeg

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nydney1 said:

Has anyone been to Costa Maya recently. We go in two weeks and I was wondering how the water is looking?

I was there twice in October. The water looked fine (see one of my photos in a previous post above). There was only a minimal amount of sargassum / sea weed, since it is primarily an issue in Spring / Summer.

If we go back to Costa Maya in the future we will make it a "ship day." We have not been impressed with the beach clubs or the quality of the sand or water. Snorkeling has been terrible due to murky visibility. We would rather stay on the uncrowded ship and eat food we've already paid for than pay extra for average food and sit on a beach being pestered by hawkers every 30 seconds.

5 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Thanks everyone, I'm leaning toward Krazy Lobster.  JT1962, I included "Carnival Excursion" in the topic just so the thread wouldn't get moved to another forum.

You jinxed yourself! 😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Thanks everyone, I'm leaning toward Krazy Lobster.  JT1962, I included "Carnival Excursion" in the topic just so the thread wouldn't get moved to another forum.

Bring cash for the massage!  And the taxi ride!🤑

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

If we go back to Costa Maya in the future we will make it a "ship day." We have not been impressed with the beach clubs or the quality of the sand or water. Snorkeling has been terrible due to murky visibility. We would rather stay on the uncrowded ship and eat food we've already paid for than pay extra for average food and sit on a beach being pestered by hawkers every 30 seconds.

Vendors would walk by but were not aggressive.  If I said "no thank you" they would move on.