Classic soda pkg questions

stipmom

Do I need to carry the cup around with me or can I go to the bar and get a soda? Do they give you cans or from the gun?

if I decide to not get a card and use my Diamond drink vouchers do they give it in cans  or fountain sodas?

Thanks

1 minute ago, stipmom said:

Do I need to carry the cup around with me or can I go to the bar and get a soda? Do they give you cans or from the gun?

if I decide to not get a card and use my Diamond drink vouchers do they give it in cans  or fountain sodas?

Thanks

Usually they pour you a glass unless you ask ...with either. If I want a can I have to remember to ask for one.

6 minutes ago, stipmom said:

Thanks

You do not need to carry the cup around with you, you can go to a bar and get a soda.  The soda package is fountain soda but some bartenders will give you a can if you ask.  Diamond drink vouchers would get you a can of soda.

edit to add link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-is-the-classic-soda-package

Edited by reallyitsmema

31 minutes ago, stipmom said:

Do I need to carry the cup around with me or can I go to the bar and get a soda? Do they give you cans or from the gun? if I decide to not get a card and use my Diamond drink vouchers do they give it in cans  or fountain sodas? Thanks

Your sea pass card is printed with your beverage package, so if you want to wait in the long lines, you can get a glass of soda at the bar. Or, if you carry your cup, you can serve yourself at freestyle machines or at bars. Most soda is from guns. 

Only some ships have Freestyle machines. On Liberty this past week probably 1 in 3 bars/restaurants were serving soda from 2 liter bottles rather than guns, even when a gun was physically present. The nice thing about having the cup was it saved me from having to show my card.

• Like 1

My son had the soda package and was denied a can of soda when he asked in the pool bar, they opened a can and poured him his soda in a glass and gave to him. Another time when I tipped a $5 in the Viking crown loung for my beer the bartender gave my son a complimentary can of coke without he even asking for it. So I guess it depends on the mood of the bartender, if a manager is close by and so on..

3 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

My son had the soda package and was denied a can of soda when he asked in the pool bar, they opened a can and poured him his soda in a glass and gave to him. Another time when I tipped a $5 in the Viking crown loung for my beer the bartender gave my son a complimentary can of coke without he even asking for it. So I guess it depends on the mood of the bartender, if a manager is close by and so on..

The rule for the soda package is it does not include canned soda. Now not all bartenders follow that rule but if a bartender refuses to give you the can it is because the rules for the soda package indicate canned sodas are not included. 

33 minutes ago, RCFirstTimer said:

I made the mistake of asking for soda from one of the bars once.  They used the tap/gun to dispense it.  It tasted somewhat like Coke, but with a nasty beer aftertaste.  Since then I don't get sodas from a bar.

Fountain soda does not come out of a tap that also dispenses beer. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, RCFirstTimer said:

I made the mistake of asking for soda from one of the bars once.  They used the tap/gun to dispense it.  It tasted somewhat like Coke, but with a nasty beer aftertaste.  Since then I don't get sodas from a bar.

So one time you got a soda that didn't taste right and that tragic event has altered the way to enjoy your cruise?

🤔

1 hour ago, RandomUser123 said:

The rule for the soda package is it does not include canned soda. Now not all bartenders follow that rule but if a bartender refuses to give you the can it is because the rules for the soda package indicate canned sodas are not included. 

Yes, that is true. They don't even give away water exept in the glasses. However I made a habit of picking up two bottles every time I passed a bar and on day 2 I had 8 of them in my actually working "cooler" 

DISCLAIMER: Of course I refused my son to take even a small sip of one of my 8 bottles in our cabin when he needed something to drink to take his medicines,  I told him to go get soda instead of water.. I even poured out the last 3 unopened bottles the last evening because I refuse to share my UBP as that is strictly VERBOTEN.... 😉

1 hour ago, UnregisteredUser said:

I do know that the freestyle machines have Root Beer but don't know if the tap/guns in the bars have the same soda in them.

The bar soda guns have very limited choices of soda, definitely not root beer.  It is typically Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, ginger ale and club soda.

7 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

So one time you got a soda that didn't taste right and that tragic event has altered the way to enjoy your cruise?

🤔

Don't misunderstand me, it did not alter the way I enjoy my cruise.  I still had a great cruise, but just used the freestyle machines from then on.  It didn't bother me in the least.

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Fountain soda does not come out of a tap that also dispenses beer. 

I saw him fill the cup - it was one of those kitchen faucet type sprayers on a hose with a bunch of buttons on the back.  I couldn't tell you what all the buttons were but it was not a dedicated tap by any means.  I know that actual beer probably never came out of the same hose, but the soda did not taste right whatever else that tap was used for.  The best way I could describe it was a terrible beer/alcohol aftertaste.

Now, the freestyle machines all use the same "tap", but I have never had that awful of an aftertaste out of the freestyle machines.  No big deal, I just know what happened to me that one time.

2 hours ago, RCFirstTimer said:

I saw him fill the cup - it was one of those kitchen faucet type sprayers on a hose with a bunch of buttons on the back.  I couldn't tell you what all the buttons were but it was not a dedicated tap by any means.  I know that actual beer probably never came out of the same hose, but the soda did not taste right whatever else that tap was used for.  The best way I could describe it was a terrible beer/alcohol aftertaste.

Now, the freestyle machines all use the same "tap", but I have never had that awful of an aftertaste out of the freestyle machines.  No big deal, I just know what happened to me that one time.

Yes, that’s what the “guns” look like but beer is still not dispensed from a soda gun.  Only the various types of soda ie; coke, Diet Coke, ginger ale, sprite etc, come out of those guns.  What I have found is sometimes the ratio of soda water to syrup is off, especially as a tank runs dry.  That can make the taste “off”.

• Like 1