is the Edge class over the Edge?

maxsales

We just switched our fall 2023 trans Atlantic from the Beyond to the Constellation, we had booked the Beyond before we did this fall's Ta on the Edge.  Having now sailed the Edge class I am not impressed at all, so I am wondering how the majority of veteran Celebrity cruisers feel.

My dislike is based on the lack of bars and lounges, the new dining concept and the amount of deck space devoted to high end boutiques.  To us the Edge was very different from all of the other Celebrity   ships we have sailed on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Obviously a personal opinion, but I don't think the Edge class is aimed at 'veteran' cruisers...

It certainly doesn't appeal to us at all, but as long as there are new cruisers who do like it then it is good for business...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

Obviously a personal opinion, but I don't think the Edge class is aimed at 'veteran' cruisers...

It certainly doesn't appeal to us at all, but as long as there are new cruisers who do like it then it is good for business...

Agreed, what was it you didn't like about the class?

Just now, basenji56 said:

Many of us don't like the windows that they call "infinite verandas."  Other people love them.

To me it was an ocean view with a window that opened not a verandah at all.  If I ever sailed an Edge class again ( very doubtful) I wouldn't waste my money on one I would just book a regular ocean view.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, George C said:

We love edge class , we book suites and the outdoor retreat area is fantastic. I also liked the entertainment on the ship , we sailed edge last year and really looking forward to the beyond this Sunday. 

I agree that it's a ship dedicated to suite guests.  My perspective is from the non suite passenger.

Edited by maxsales
add info
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, maxsales said:

To me it was an ocean view with a window that opened not a verandah at all.  If I ever sailed an Edge class again ( very doubtful) I wouldn't waste my money on one I would just book a regular ocean view.

As an Elite cruiser on Celebrity, I have been booking the newer Royal ships with real verandas (Oasis class, Odyssey).  Not as upscale as Celebrity in some respects but I love the real verandas and the Diamond benefits on Royal are superior since I can get 4 drinks all day rather than during the two hour cocktail hour.

• Like 5

As we had sunset veranda on Beyond , IV was not an issue for us.  Despite liking sunset veranda and the good looks with wow factor,  Beyond  was not our favorite ship. Main reasons : very uncomfortable seating throughout ship and very loud venues with each their own music sometimes competing eg in main areas and restaurants around Martini Bar. 
4 dining room concept was great.

we still prefer S class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, odysee said:

As we had sunset veranda on Beyond , IV was not an issue for us.  Despite liking sunset veranda and the good looks with wow factor,  Beyond  was not our favorite ship. Main reasons : very uncomfortable seating throughout ship and very loud venues with each their own music sometimes competing eg in main areas and restaurants around Martini Bar. 
4 dining room concept was great.

we still prefer S class.

I agree with the strange seating around the ship and the extra loud music, just didn't seem there was a place to enjoy a cocktail and conversation.  We really enjoy the M class ships but the S class isn't bad.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

As an Elite cruiser on Celebrity, I have been booking the newer Royal ships with real verandas (Oasis class, Odyssey).  Not as upscale as Celebrity in some respects but I love the real verandas and the Diamond benefits on Royal are superior since I can get 4 drinks all day rather than during the two hour cocktail hour.

Celebrity has better suite perks than rccl , but totally agree rccl diamond perks are way better than celebrity elite perks .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

Celebrity has better suite perks than rccl , but totally agree rccl diamond perks are way better than celebrity elite perks .

I miss the free bag of laundry on Celebrity v. $10 off a $35 bag of laundry on Royal but the four free drinks during the day makes up for it since I don't buy the drink package.

• Like 3

We have done almost 60 cruises, 38 on Celebrity so we may be considered veterans.

We love the E class ships. Particularly the 4 MDRs, the new venues for shows  ( The Club and Eden) and the new specialty restaurants.   The theater is fantastic, we rarely went to the production shows until the shows on E class 

We have been in Suites and IVs and enjoy both.  The  E class ships have a clean contemporary look which we love.

Our next 3 cruises are on S (not revolutionized ) & M (revolutionized) class and while we will enjoy these  cruises, the feel of the ships is old and dated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I miss the free bag of laundry on Celebrity v. $10 off a $35 bag of laundry on Royal but the four free drinks during the day makes up for it since I don't buy the drink package.

Actually the two free bags of laundry is one of my favorite Elite plus perks, especially on 14 night and longer cruises.  It's a real money saver!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

We are diamond plus so for the first time we were able to skip drink package with 5 drinks each

2 minutes ago, maxsales said:

Actually the two free bags of laundry is one of my favorite Elite plus perks, especially on 14 night and longer cruises.  It's a real money saver!

It is a real benefit.  But for me, not worth losing a real veranda on a Transatlantic cruise.  I wash my shirts in the sink. 😉

3 minutes ago, George C said:

We are diamond plus so for the first time we were able to skip drink package with 5 drinks each

On my TA on Odessey, they gave all Diamond and Diamond plus cruisers one free specialty coffee per day in addition to the 4 or 5 free drinks.  Nice benefit.

• Like 1

To me comparing S Class and E Class is comparing apples to oranges.  Yes, they are both Celebrity ships, but they are extremely different.  There are things I love about both classes.  On E Class I love the IVs, Eden, the 4 MDRs, the king size beds, the Rooftop Garden.  On S Class I love the Sky Lounge, Sunset Bar and soaring atrium.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, maxsales said:

I agree with the strange seating around the ship and the extra loud music, just didn't seem there was a place to enjoy a cocktail and conversation.  We really enjoy the M class ships but the S class isn't bad.

Most nights, we escaped to the Sunset Bar for quiet cocktails, weather permitting, of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

It is a real benefit.  But for me, not worth losing a real veranda on a Transatlantic cruise.  I wash my shirts in the sink. 😉

You can get a real balcony on both the S and M class ships.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We'll be on the Apex in March. Our first E class ship. Staying in a DPV stateroom. Booked for the itinerary not the ship. We'll make our decision after the cruise if we'll like the E class compared to the M&S class. 

what is a DPV?