is the Edge class over the Edge?

maxsales

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

So it was expensive, and you are surrounded by people happy to pay the price, but you think only you appreciate the ambiance and not your surrounding cruise passengers that paid the same good money that you did?

You realize cruise companies use dynamic cabin pricing right? Why do you think the E-class ships can demand such a price premium? 

Who carries physical books in the day of kindles and e-readers.  

Geez, maybe the ship isn't for you.  Is it wrong for ships to be for other people?

Me! I still like the feel of an actual book in my hand. 

Whether I’m reading a real book or using my kindle, I do wish there was a library on E class ships. I miss it. 

17 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

We are new to Celebrity and are on the younger side for the demographics, being 49/50. We have not sailed yet, but from photos, what appeals to us about E class is the light, the brightness, the open spaces; I love seeing the plants all around and am looking forward to the rooftop garden seating and the sunset bar area.
With all the better love on here for the S, I checked those out, but by comparison, they look to me to be dark, stodgy, closed spaces made to resemble tv versions of London gentleman’s clubs, where the men smoke cigars and read the newspaper with their whiskey… Maybe that is not accurate, but it is what the photos I saw portray. That does not appeal to me at all. 

Exactly this. But then I'm early 40s so maybe it's a generational thing. Everyone has different tastes. 

Michael's club and cellar masters on the Reflection both remind me of 1800s London gentleman's clubs, you're right. Maybe that ambience is a little cosier on a cold weather cruise (or a cold foggy winters day in London) but its the last place I want to sit and relax after a day spent in the Mediterranean sun! I can't be alone in thinking this because like I said in a previous post, cellar masters was nearly empty for most of our cruise last month. 

I've not been on an Edge class ship yet but when we find the right itinerary/timing/price we definitely will. Also definitely not put off by the infinite balconies - I roll my eyes everytime I see the same people on here moaning non stop about them! From what I can see, it boils down to not having a couple inch gap at the top and bottom of the dividers between each room on the balconies. That's it. Only disadvantage I believe is not being able to open dividers to join balcony with friends in cabin next door, but that's certainly not a deal breaker! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OysterD said:

Michael's club and cellar masters on the Reflection both remind me of 1800s London gentleman's clubs, you're right.

...both of course have been 'fixed' with the Revolution process, but sadly it hasn't reached all the ships yet...

'The Retreat' on Millennium for example is bright and no sign of old leather armchairs anywhere.

Similarly replacing 'Cellar Master' on Silhouette with 'Craft Social' removes a dark and often empty space and replaced it with a lively well used sports bar complete with typical bar food (extra cost).

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, George C said:

We love edge class , we book suites and the outdoor retreat area is fantastic. I also liked the entertainment on the ship , we sailed edge last year and really looking forward to the beyond this Sunday. 

Re 'entertainment'.....if you've sailed other X ships and attended the shows (which have been the same for at least 10 years, ship to ship) are the production shows different on E class or the same throughout the line?  That's my only negative sailing with X....the entertainment is always the same and has become a put off to us.

@Oceangoer2, taste differs so, but my opinion is the E-Class production shows are a big step up. Yes, there are the standard guest entertainers, singers - comedians - magicians, but the production shows have changed and are excellent…..in my opinion. Excellently done dance and song and storyline. Fun to see and more whimsical. 

Also enjoy the Behind the Podium talks, but those are pretty standard on many X cruises and the same on E. 

Den

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

@Oceangoer2, taste differs so, but my opinion is the E-Class production shows are a big step up. Yes, there are the standard guest entertainers, singers - comedians - magicians, but the production shows have changed and are excellent…..in my opinion. Excellently done dance and song and storyline. Fun to see and more whimsical. 

Den

I agree about the production shows on the E-class ships!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Also enjoy the Behind the Podium talks, but those are pretty standard on many X cruises and the same on E. 

Den

Happy to hear...just returned from Equinox and as much as we enjoy the production shows generally (daughter was a professional dancer and had been employed by most cruise lines -  so we followed along), we're bored silly with the X shows and avoided the two this time around.  Will try the Edge ships for an entertainment and environmental change after 25+ X cruises mainly on S class.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 6:44 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Okay, NMT, I will honor your beseeching and rise from the mud, the blood and the - there might be a half-empty bottle of beer or two, somewhere. I will grasp the "E" battle flag, torn and tattered, bruised and battered, holding it high in the air and shouting "thou learned and wise of Celebrity, thou S & M don't tread on me." 

Could it be that suite guests are really not that special? Cash Cows are important in any endeavor. 

For the E-Class naysayers there will never be a good answer when extolling the virtues of the E-Class ships. 

Shall we agree to disagree, amicably of course? Surely, we grow weary of these trivial battles. I'm going to reach down here and see if I can find one of those half-empty bottles of beer.   

🙂 🙂

I must admit this is probably both the best argument for E class and at the same time the funniest. 🙂

If the upper tier (AKA cash cows) did not like forward looking views and balconies why is E class offering them?  This is a luxury that even us peasants enjoy on S class. 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

🙂 🙂

If the upper tier (AKA cash cows) did not like forward looking views and balconies why is E class offering them?  This is a luxury that even us peasants enjoy on S class. 🙂

On NCL's new ship, Prima, the Haven has been located in the aft.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:56 AM, Oceangoer2 said:

Happy to hear...just returned from Equinox and as much as we enjoy the production shows generally (daughter was a professional dancer and had been employed by most cruise lines -  so we followed along), we're bored silly with the X shows and avoided the two this time around.  Will try the Edge ships for an entertainment and environmental change after 25+ X cruises mainly on S class.

Ditto.  I would temper expectations because if you rate a regular X show a 4 out of 10, than an E-Class show will only raise that a point or two at the most.  Every post-cruise survey I praise the crew, rate the food quality low and comment they should have a nightly comedian in addition to the 7pm and 9pm show

While at a show, when sitting in the back, something we noticed is that roughly 10% of the audience is have their phones out.  If it's a GOOD show (usually a powerful singer), folks will be recording the performance with their phone.  If it's a bad show, they'll be doing something on their phones, not watching the show

• Like 1

Just curious. What, if anything, could possibly be considered over-the-edge on a E-Class ship? Only thing I can think of, the earth is really flat and the captain refuses to turn the boat around. And that could possibly be the ultimate shore excursion. Of course, someone would probably complain about that.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Of course, someone would probably complain about that.

( I really enjoy reading your posts ).

LOL--- Can't ya learn nothin ?? This site is Cruise Critic !!

Geez, in order to be a member in good standing ( probably 183,000 Judges(?) ) ya gotta criticize " stuff ". The more criticisms the better.

I know a guy that on his first post he criticized sooooo much stuff and was automatically given a lifetime Cruise Critics Achievement award ( Guidelines of Cruise Critic). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2