No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@mtrancher I have not booked a bet in a very long time.  What do you think the odds are?  I will play this fairly.  I have the Premium Plus Beverage Package and I am also in the Vibe Beach Club.

I think it's even money. A number of posters are claiming the ban is in effect at least on certain ships. Yet we have a poster who contacted corporate and says there is no such ban. Hence, i can't call this any other way but even money.

Further I think the bet should only apply to the Premium beverage package and not the premium plus. Yes more shot cocktails might be available with the plus package, but still all should be available with the base package as you would just pay the additional charge.

With everything I hear on Social Media one thing is always true.  What you think is 100% correct often has some other information you did not know about.   

Example, I heard that Bailys Irish Cream was no longer on the Premium Beverage Package.  If this is the case, I will find this out next week also, then a lot of the shooter drinks would not be included in the normal drink package.

Interesting as I saw a drink menu that priced Bailey's at $16 hence taking it a dollar out of the premium package. They did list another Bailey's generic available under the $15 price.

In that same post with menus I also noted the Crown Royal was priced above $15 dollars at the main ship bars but was priced at $8 in the Haven Bar. Not to side track this ambitious thread, but have you ever noticed drink prices to be different between the Haven Bar and all the other ship bars?

Thanks and I look foward to your report, thanks for being the man! I for one have no doubt you will play it straight and try to ferret out all the nuances of all the possible factors

Cruise well one shot at time.

Cruising well is  Drinking at every moment. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, Sailing12Away said:

And I've said this about 100 times, where (on any ship, any cruise line) does over even get fresh squeezed juice? Everyone loves to mention it, yet on all my trips I've never once seen it. 

This is mostly a Royal/Celebrity thing. On our Anthem of the Seas cruise last winter, we spent many mornings in the solarium having screwdrivers and mimosas made out of freshly squeezed OJ from the commercial machine. Celebrity's spa cafe also has a full juice bar in the solarium, and the bigger ships have this in the buffet too.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, seemoreroyals said:

Can confirm that Fireball cinnamon was nowhere to be found on our 11-13 to 11-20 Bliss cruise.  Was repeatedly advised throughout cruise to check back next day they may have some by then.

Fireball seems to be a supply chain issue. We've done Celebrity, Princess and Carnival since the restart, and had zero luck finding it on any ship on any line. Super disappointing, as it's a vacation/holiday drink for me: absolutely not something I'd consume in my day-to-day life. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, pc_load_letter said:

Yes, I find the Carnival Cheers package to be a better deal. On a chilly morning my wife likes chai tea with a little bit of vodka. I enjoy alcoholic coffees in the evening as well as espresso throughout the day. Now, I can't do that. Sure, I could buy a coffee from Starbucks, get a shot from the bar and combine the two, but on CCL it's a one stop shop and included in Cheers.

Worth pointing out that while Carnival's Cheers has a 15 alcoholic drink limit a day, coffees and teas are unlimited. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

I think it's even money. A number of posters are claiming the ban is in effect at least on certain ships. Yet we have a poster who contacted corporate and says there is no such ban. Hence, i can't call this any other way but even money.

Further I think the bet should only apply to the Premium beverage package and not the premium plus. Yes more shot cocktails might be available with the plus package, but still all should be available with the base package as you would just pay the additional charge.

Interesting as I saw a drink menu that priced Bailey's at $16 hence taking it a dollar out of the premium package. They did list another Bailey's generic available under the $15 price.

In that same post with menus I also noted the Crown Royal was priced above $15 dollars at the main ship bars but was priced at $8 in the Haven Bar. Not to side track this ambitious thread, but have you ever noticed drink prices to be different between the Haven Bar and all the other ship bars?

Thanks and I look foward to your report, thanks for being the man! I for one have no doubt you will play it straight and try to ferret out all the nuances of all the possible factors

Cruise well one shot at time.

I have never heard drinks costing more or less from one bar to the next.  I am confused for the time being on Baily's.  When I do me "Important" research, it will be focused on the Premium Beverage Package not the "PLUS".  That is the real question.  I wish NCL would pay more attention to this site and have official representation on policy like this.  Seems like the Customer Centered Thing to do. 

To stay on track, I challenge those that commented on this stream to give me a "Specific Drink" to order.  If we are going to do this, let us do it right.  Guinea Pig Gary is open to suggestions. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. "Shots R Us!"

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have never heard drinks costing more or less from one bar to the next.  I am confused for the time being on Baily's.  When I do me "Important" research, it will be focused on the Premium Beverage Package not the "PLUS".  That is the real question.  I wish NCL would pay more attention to this site and have official representation on policy like this.  Seems like the Customer Centered Thing to do. 

To stay on track, I challenge those that commented on this stream to give me a "Specific Drink" to order.  If we are going to do this, let us do it right.  Guinea Pig Gary is open to suggestions. 

B52

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

The bartenders at the pool bar on the Breakaway cruise I took over Halloween were not new and they told me they were not allowed to make shot cocktails. Did "they" just refer to that specific bar or ship? I don't know. I was told the same thing initially by the Vibe bartenders on the Prima over Thanksgiving. They definitely are not new bartenders. Eventually, we did get our shot o'clock shots. I don't recall anyone asking for shot cocktails individually though from them.

Well....that's pretty much mixed signals.  First they can't, then they can.  Sounds like none of them really know what's really going on.  

I can only go by my personal experience on the Breakaway when I sailed her from 10/30-11/6.  Had the afore mentioned "bloody brains" and "sex on the beach" at the Syd Norman's bar. Had B-52s at the Atrium bar.  

I can kind of see the pool bar bartenders not being able to offer multi-shot drinks, given people are sometimes 3 deep waiting for drinks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mtrancher said:

Last year we cruised Breakaway and managed to get a winning bid on a Haven upgrade. We bought the plus package as well as it seemed like a no brainer with the Haven bar staff and their assortment of options. 

Only later after reading through the menu did I see that Crown was now a Plus option, including the Haven bar. Didn't look at the menu at first, just ordered what I knew, but having Plus enabled on my account ordering Crown didn't trigger extra expense.

So at least on Breakaway, there's no separate pricing menu for Haven. Not sure why there would be. From a business perspective these are your richest customers on average (not counting the people who bid in) so I doubt you'd drop prices in that area. If anything I'm surprised they didn't offer even more upcharges beyond plus tier options. 

Anyway, back to topic. I think we'll have a clear indication very soon. I'll certainly take any tips or insights from Gary as I go to the Vibe bar the week after him. 

31 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well....that's pretty much mixed signals.  First they can't, then they can.  Sounds like none of them really know what's really going on.  

I can only go by my personal experience on the Breakaway when I sailed her from 10/30-11/6.  Had the afore mentioned "bloody brains" and "sex on the beach" at the Syd Norman's bar. Had B-52s at the Atrium bar.  

I can kind of see the pool bar bartenders not being able to offer multi-shot drinks, given people are sometimes 3 deep waiting for drinks.

Yeah. We were on the same cruise. I never tried to get any shot cocktails elsewhere after being told they couldn't make them. I agree that there are definite inconsistencies in practice regardless of what corporate or anyone else says the policy is or isn't. Maybe it was an idea or an unofficial thing "email" that got passed along? But I find it hard to believe that different bartenders on different ships are just out and out wrong or mistaken or making excuses. I also find it hard to believe that the Vibe bartenders would just outright violate instructions knowing the scrutiny that they were under during the sailing (I saw them be reprimanded for people having drinks by the hot tub) and also knowing that everyone would be posting the pics of the shots on social media afterwards if not during. My guess is that exceptions can be and are made by the powers that be. Hence the change in shot policy by day 2. Now what and who those exceptions are for? I don't know. I can say that I was very happy to be able to experience shot o'clock in the Vibe though. It was one of the most memorable experiences that I had.

Ooh ooh ooh…time to chime in.  Here’s a new theory on No More Mixed Shots.  It’s not about the difficulty in making them, nor is it the drunken passengers.  It’s back to cost cutting and supply chain woes.  I, along with my 10 friends, can down a shot in a matter of seconds.  Then I want something else.  If you give me a beer, a mixed drink, a complicated mixed drink or wine, the time it takes to consume that drink is significantly longer.  And all that liquid fills up the void in my belly.  Each ship may have to make the No Mixed Shots rule based on their current inventory levels.  And, it’s likely corporate has given them permission to do so.  Unfortunately we’re still weathering the storm of Covid. So, there it is…maybe, lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Ooh ooh ooh…time to chime in.  Here’s a new theory on No More Mixed Shots.  It’s not about the difficulty in making them, nor is it the drunken passengers.  It’s back to cost cutting and supply chain woes.  I, along with my 10 friends, can down a shot in a matter of seconds.  Then I want something else.  If you give me a beer, a mixed drink, a complicated mixed drink or wine, the time it takes to consume that drink is significantly longer.  And all that liquid fills up the void in my belly.  Each ship may have to make the No Mixed Shots rule based on their current inventory levels.  And, it’s likely corporate has given them permission to do so.  Unfortunately we’re still weathering the storm of Covid. So, there it is…maybe, lol.

That is as likely accurate as anything that has been stated!👍👍

• Like 3

We disembarked the Getaway yesterday. 10 days in the Haven. The only time we went over the $15 was a $1 charge for Buffalo Trace a few times and the only bar that had it was the Atrium. 

Craft beer seemed limited in some areas. We did get the bartender in H2O to ice down beers for us in the hot sun while we watched the World Cup. You just have to educate them with a few bucks to put a new one in when they take one out. They kept a container right behind the bar for us and kept it full of ice. The staff seemed to change often but they were great!

Also, my new found buddy and I did a blind taste test of Bailey's for a buck compared to Maloneys for sub-$15 and the difference was not noticeable - especially if like me you toss a shot in with another shot of Kahlua along with a double espresso in a large coffee cup to inspire dancing the night away after dinner!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I would go B-52 as a test but take your pick of what you fancy from here.

layered shots infographic

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juncti said:

I'll certainly take any tips or insights from Gary as I go to the Vibe bar the week after him. 

Name the Movie:  "If I would you, I would drink heavily!", "I would listen to him, he is in pre-med!"

Cruise well and it will be a good thing that I am not driving the boat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Name the Movie:  "If I would you, I would drink heavily!", "I would listen to him, he is in pre-med!"

Cruise well and it will be a good thing that I am not driving the boat. 

"My advice to you, start drinking heavily."  "You'd better listen to him, Flounder" 🤣

Edited by trivimp
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

2 minutes ago, trivimp said:

You'd better listen to him, Flounder 🤣

You f-ed up, you trusted us!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, behan said:

I am currently on the Getaway and have had no issues getting mixed shots.

@behan You are messing around with my good time next week.  I am going to make believe you did not post this.  That will force me to go to every bar and order a shot, with a picture to post.  Please keep your experience on the down low.  I just got really excited about my cruise which I will not call, "The Quest for the Holy Shooter Drink!!!"  

BTW, I love the get away.  Have a ball on in a couple of years ago.  The first time I did a dead drop water slide at age 62.  Awesome.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Thank you to whoever mentioned Duck Farts.

@reeinaz This Stream has just taken a wonderful and fun turn.  I am so excited about the "Quest for the Best Shooter Drink!".  I had no idea there was a drink called "Duck Farts".  That is a must.  I also had no idea the Vibe had a Shooter Drink Happy Hour.  My only hope is that I remember this cruise so I can write about it.  

Cruise well and bring Tylenol for the Handover. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

BTW, I love the get away.  Have a ball on in a couple of years ago.  The first time I did a dead drop water slide at age 62.  Awesome.  

I did both the Getaway slides on Sunday and had not only a few knots on the back of my head when I came out but quite the adrenal rush (64 here).

I talked one of my new buddies into doing it with me and his wife held all of our worldly goods. 

There are weight limits and you must be under 300lbs. When my bud stepped on the ticket came out and said, "one at a time please."

7 hours ago, id10t said:

Thanks SeaShark.  Guess I am just made it up for attention then.  🙄

Seems the narrative is bending that way...:classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, behan said:

I am currently on the Getaway and have had no issues getting mixed shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Seems the narrative is bending that way...:classic_ohmy:

I don’t understand the hate and calling me a liar. I am happy it is not all ships but it has been some with no explanation.  This will be my last reply to you SeaShark.  

Once again happy it is just select cruises, still does not change my experience nor others in this post.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, id10t said:

I don’t understand the hate and calling me a liar. I am happy it is not all ships but it has been some with no explanation.  This will be my last reply to you SeaShark.  

Once again happy it is just select cruises, still does not change my experience nor others in this post.

@id10t You are looking at this all wrong and if you read my posts, you know that I also have had some folks aggressively disagree with me.  I share this for context.  

Your stream has gotten a great deal of attention.  This is very rare.  It is also a complement to you.  You reported on something that happened to you.  It should not have happened to anyone.  If folks were not interested, they would not have commented.  

Allow me to approach this a different way.  Unlike others that just started their account on CruiseCritic.com, you have been on CruiseCritic.com for over 4 years.  You post 70 times which means you only post when the subject is important to you.  You did a good thing.  When you explain something like your topic, you will always have folks that challenge you.  Again, I am coming from a position of strength here. 

When I started posting, my grammar and spelling was so bad that folks did not care about my message. My grammar and spelling are even worst today.  I was completely offended at those folks that called me names.  That is just social media however it still hurt.  Let it be water off a duck.

Thank you @id10t, you made my day.  You gave me a fun thing to do that was not even a thought prior to your topic.  You engaged lots of people and you were always nice about it.  NCL and all other cruise brands are working in territory's that is unknown right now.  For me, I will now order a shooter at every bar for my first drink.  If they stop serving them, I will have the most fun of my life by publicizing it all over the internet.  I assure you, your Op-Ed will live on and you will get all the credit for it.  

Remember, you took the road that most folks don't take.  The High road.  Nothing wrong with that.  I hope you enjoy the buzz you created. Again, I really needed it today.  It was so much fun.  Thank you again.

Cruise well and post again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, id10t said:

Thank you for letting people know what was happening on Pearl. This way no one will be shocked if it happens to them on their cruise.

Hopefully, for the people that like these types of shots, it is a supply issue and not a policy that every ship will always have to follow. I noticed a lot of these shots involve Irish Cream which I think they have been having some issues stocking. 

FYI, I think I prefer Maloney's Irish Cream. It seems to be easier on my stomach than Bailey's.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I would go B-52 as a test but take your pick of what you fancy from here.

layered shots infographic

Picture saved to my phone and put it my notes section for the cruise. There are a few years between my shot drinking years and today. But I could definitely enjoy a 747. ✈️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1