When is the cheapest time to see the Norwegian Fjords?

Generally the best time to sail is the most expensive - August is heavy travel month in Europe and nicest weather in Norway and Iceland.  Currently there is discussion of stopping cruise/ boat travel into the deep fjords due to pollution concerns so that would certainly alter any Norway trips.  It was beautiful.  Our cruises sailed from Amsterdam, a favorite port for us.

Lots of Fjord cruises available from Southampton both RCL (Anthem) and other lines. We did one on MSC last May, had beautiful weather and May/June cruises have long hours of daylight which is lovely for the long sail in/out. Weather in Norway is variable and can be good or bad anytime during the summer months.

We enjoyed it so much we've booked again for next May.

Lots of competion for the 7 nights from Southampton so prices are often good.

• Like 2

We did the Arctic Circle (Norway) this past end of July on RCI Jewel out of Amsterdam. Pretty great and yes I booked the minute the schedule opened and it did book up fast but I got a great rate on our suite...well worth it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

We did the Arctic Circle (Norway) this past end of July on RCI Jewel out of Amsterdam. Pretty great and yes I booked the minute the schedule opened and it did book up fast but I got a great rate on our suite...well worth it.

That's the one I was thinking of that booked up so fast.

8 minutes ago, mek said:

In my opinion, Amsterdam is the easiest port to sail from.  Hotels are not far away and the airport is close.

The season is short - suggest you just check prices and see what pops up.

depends on where you're joining from, I guess .... Southampton is obviously closer

Hurtigruten sails pretty much year round, has lovely cabins and great food.  Goes to places 99% of cruise ships never go.  It’s not your “normal” cruise line but we did it and loved it. Not sure about cost since we went many years ago. but might be worth checking out.  It was one of our favorite cruises.  

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

Same. Loved it! We were on June 20-July 2, then stayed on for Iceland & Ireland. The weather was awesome the entire time.

Don't know about any other cruise lines, but RC's Norway season appears to be last week of April to first week of September.

The Radiance class ships go out of Amsterdam, the Quantum class ships out of Southampton.

The Radiance class ships will do the "Arctic Circle", which means Tromso and Honningvag, north of the Arctic circle. The Quantum class ships stick with the lower, larger ports. In my opinion, the Arctic Circle is well worth it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, allyfree said:

depends on where you're joining from, I guess .... Southampton is obviously closer

Possibly true for those in the UK, but my response was directed to the OP, who is from Canada.

• Like 1

I have cruised there twice and going again next year with a friend who hasn’t. I went in May and June and going in June again next year.

One of our tour guides said they are the best months to go and I wouldn’t argue with that.

All of my cruises have been with P&O out of Southampton.

It’s a very relaxing cruise with incredible scenery. Enjoy x

Edited by Deeliteful