Recommendations for 3 friends traveling together

NMScotts

Two friends and I are planning to cruise together in the coming year. We are thinking about a 3-5 day out of San Diego or Galveston (so we can drive from New Mexico). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as rooms. Do any ships have rooms with 3 regular beds? Also would love to hear suggestions on specific cruises you may have enjoyed. Thanks!

HAL doesn't really do 3-5 days very well - the experience is a bit lessened than their 7-day trips. Unlike Disney or Royal Caribbean. Also I don't think there are any non-suite rooms with 3 regular beds. They all have a sofa bed and/or a pullout upper bunk bed.

Welcome to Cruise Critic @NMScotts!!   

I don't believe HAL goes out of Galveston at the moment either.  They do great 7-day cruises down to Mexico out of San Diego though!

I agree with @vicd1969 regarding three regular beds.

Carnival may be your best bet out of Galveston for that length of cruise.  It will be probably more of a party cruise than anything on HAL though.  Very different experience, check it out if that appeals!!

~Nancy

Princess, Carnival, Royal and Norwegian currently sail out of Galveston.  You can figure out you ship choices the. Review the cabins for those particular ships.  Your budget will determine which cabin

Edited by Mary229

I suggest booking a Neptune suite on Koningsdam that has a separate water closet off the hall as well as 2nd door to bathroom by the bed. There is a sleeper sofa and not sure if you need the bed separated. I have heard Rotterdam and NS don't have these cabins but HAL still shows the Floorplan for those ships. There is a 6 day cruise rt from San Diego in March that does the CA coast. You can find longer cruises to Mexico in Nov, Dec and Jan on KDam as well. You will be spoiled. 

24_1157_flr_SQ_SA_SB_SC_150.jpeg

6 hours ago, NMScotts said:

Two friends and I are planning to cruise together in the coming year. We are thinking about a 3-5 day out of San Diego or Galveston (so we can drive from New Mexico). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as rooms. Do any ships have rooms with 3 regular beds? Also would love to hear suggestions on specific cruises you may have enjoyed. Thanks!

I recommend one of these 7-day cruises on the Zaandam from San Diego:

image.thumb.jpeg.d124de80ccfb581b5072a905f1750161.jpeg

In a Vista Suite. The third bed is a sofa that 'flips' lengthwise so no hard cross-pieces like ones that fold out. There are three banks of drawers and three hanging closets, with the fourth shelves where lifejackets and laundry basket can be stored. There are also three small "stands" -- nightstands for the full-time beds and an endtable that can function as a nightstand for the sofa-bed. There is a partial divider with curtain between the two beds (or one larger bed if pushed together) and the sofa that is not shown in the diagram.

image.jpeg.13fe2e2cd4aeeeb43a7b35fe5dab3a66.jpeg

We sailed fourteen days with my mom in this cabin; we had lots of room and storage. The steward re-made the bed to a sofa each morning so there was room to sit, then made it a bed while we were at dinner.

The Vista Suites are all on Deck 6. Not all Vista Suites are triples; you want to look for one with the O marker on the deck plans. There are no photos of one made up as three beds, but look at those with V-indication (and one MS that is also a Vista) on this page:

https://halfacts.com/r-class/

(Photo doesn't have to be on the Zaandam; these are all similar floor-plan ships.) 

Edited by crystalspin

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

If OP does cruise HAL, I would recommend the the Pinnacle class ships and an FA family cabin. Very roomy and the half bathroom is a really nice extra addition. The ton of storage space might come in handy, too,

We had one of these in June (Koningsdam) and I think it was two "full" baths, one with shower, and one with bath/shower combo. Even for just 2 of us, it was nice to have, but for 3 women (I think that is the OP case) could be really convenient.

Edit: I was wrong, It is a second "half" bath, as there was no toilet in the second bath (just shower and sink area)

Edited by rodndonna
correction
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

If OP does cruise HAL, I would recommend the the Pinnacle class ships and an FA family cabin. Very roomy and the half bathroom is a really nice extra addition. The ton of storage space might come in handy, too,

Definitely a Pinnacle Class ship, more to do on this class of ship for 3 ladies…..