Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You and me, and the rest of US taxpayers.

Searches often involve many other parties at their own expense. Carnival as the Valor retraced its route. Any other ships in the area that got involved, like the cargo vessel that actually spotted him. Depending on the search area, possibly the Mexican Navy.

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If I were him, the first thing i'd do when I got released from hospital is not volunteering  for a mental evaluation, it would be to go and buy a Powerball ticket. This guy is one lucky dude. 

I'd bet there was some assistance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanZena said:

He'll need the winnings to pay for his search and rescue. Doesn't it cost something crazy like $100k+ and would his travel insurance cover it if he has any? 

As stated in the previous post, his search and rescue does not cost anything. He is in a hospital in New Orleans so his care should be covered by his standard medical insurance.

Travel insurance would not pay for any of his care if it could be determined that his illness or injuries were caused by alcohol or drugs. Likewise, those separate plans like MedJet that provide transportation to the hospital of your choice also exclude service for illness or injury related to alcohol/drugs.

Fortunately, it is part of the mission of the Coast Guard to save lives so he was taken to safety where he could receive appropriate care.

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Don't know about that, but I do know alcohol floats. 😃

Well, I float in salt water but maybe it is because I have a little extra fat on me and fat floats in water.  

19 hours ago, keels81 said:

I know Alaska has a boarded pilot captain. And given how the Mississippi River works, I *assume* cruise ships have a boarded pilot captain to get them down the river.

So maybe something closer to water level was open and a guy just wandering was able to get out and get to the water without suffering a major injury? Because there's just no way he could be able to be treading water and waving his arms like that.

I do triathlons and marathon open-water swims and I can't even imagine doing that after "jumping" off a ship.

Done a few long triathlons and long open water swims myself, and that was exactly my thought. All those hours in the water, even for an experienced open water swimmer. Miraculous. Off topic: My grandson is a Navy rescue swimmer - bless those who saved this man. Rescue swimmers are remarkable people.

• Like 4

media reports indicate that he seemed to have issues finding the right spots to "vape" in and his family said he was probably drunk.  I think this guy should be charged the full amount this cost the coast guard and what an extraordinary job finding him. Carnival sure has some issues with passenger behavior.

4 hours ago, OceanZena said:

He'll need the winnings to pay for his search and rescue. Doesn't it cost something crazy like $100k+ and would his travel insurance cover it if he has any? 

The Coast Guard does not charge for their rescue operations. You as a taxpayer are paying for it.

• Like 1

Other than jumping how does one fall off? I can see being inebriated and stumbling but the railing would prevent you from falling? What are some ways that one can fall without jumping or being pushed? Genuinely curious so I know what to be aware of.

5 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

It is in fact a crime to jump off of a cruise ship. Are you being serious? 

Quite serious.  While this could be considered "interfering with the safe operation of a vessel", 46USC2302, this only applies to US flag vessels,  or foreign vessels in US waters.  Neither applies here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Quite serious.  While this could be considered "interfering with the safe operation of a vessel", 46USC2302, this only applies to US flag vessels,  or foreign vessels in US waters.  Neither applies here.

The authorities do not know how, when, or where he went over, so he could have not only been in US waters, but also Louisiana waters.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The authorities do not know how, when, or where he went over, so he could have not only been in US waters, but also Louisiana waters.

I'm not understanding what you are saying-aren't Louisiana waters part of U.S. waters? (I'm being serious)

On 11/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, CarolSW said:

IMHO this is bordering on truly unbelievable.

CNN

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/man-rescued-carnival-cruise-gulf-of-mexico/index.html

Passenger Missing from going to the bathroom while at the bar 11:00 pm day before Thanksgiving

Reported missing to ship authorities noon Thanksgiving day

2:00 pm final call for the missing man in the ship 

Ship turned around to retrace route

2:30 pm Coast Guard notified and informed ships within 200 miles 

8:25 pm man spotted in water by a bulk carrier

Coast Guard helipcopter rescued the man at some point after that

So, theoretically he could have been in the water as long as 22 hours?

So much of this story is really difficult to believe. 
But I cannot imagine what anyone would gain from making this up.

I was thinking the same when I read more about this.  I'm not saying it's fiction--but something is very fishy (no pun intended) about the whole thing.  Drunk guy falls in the ocean, treads water for 22 hrs, and is found?!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbob22 said:

I was thinking the same when I read more about this.  I'm not saying it's fiction--but something is very fishy (no pun intended) about the whole thing.  Drunk guy falls in the ocean, treads water for 22 hrs, and is found?!?

USCG seems confident of the facts, https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/339cd16.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

USCG seems confident of the facts, https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/339cd16.

I don't think anyone disputes he was plucked from the water, but says nothing about what time he went in or where, or how.

Maybe he climbed over a rail or other barrier to do something illicit and was looking for a location where he wouldn't be busted. Maybe it was a stunt and he was bobbing on a flotation device until he knew he would be rescued. or maybe....