Edge class vs other ships Sky Lounge

twincheryl

There is no forward facing lounge and trivia is usually held in The Club which is a

space without windows. The layout in the rear facing Eden is not particularly 

conducive to views or sociability. Compared to M and S class Celebrity ships

I thought the lounges and bars on Apex were rather inward looking. There was 

less of a feeling of actually being on a ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were really disappointed there was no forward facing upper ship lounge on Beyond.

My husband doesn't like to much sun and loved the sky lounge for sketching or reading or just gazing out to sea.  Unless we get a deal too good to miss it will probably be a deal breaker for us.

On Beyond we thought Eden had uncomfortable seats, especially overlooking the wake.  Definitely IMO, style over substance

Loved the sunset bar though for predinner drinks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We were really disappointed there was no forward facing upper ship lounge on Beyond.

My husband doesn't like to much sun and loved the sky lounge for sketching or reading or just gazing out to sea.  Unless we get a deal too good to miss it will probably be a deal breaker for us.

On Beyond we thought Eden had uncomfortable seats, especially overlooking the wake.  Definitely IMO, style over substance

Have to agree with you a about Eden 

• Like 1

I’ll disagree with the comment that Eden isnt ‘conductive to views and sociability’. There were many locations in the lounge area, and certainly along the walkway with nice places to sit, watch the sea out of a ‘window’ that pretty much is the size of the ship stern. We play cards and meet friends to socialize and so on. Yes, there are a few plastic seats along the side, but there are a number of alcove type places with nice seating. 

All very personal opinion on what is a sociable and comfortable place. 

Den

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Thanks so much for your comments.  We're on Apex in January 2023 and Oct 2024, as well as Edge in May 2024.  We spend several hours of our day in Sky Lounge reading and socializing, so we'll surely miss that area.  Hopefully we can find another place with some kind of windows to enjoy... or may be a deal breaker for us as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’ll disagree with the comment that Eden isnt ‘conductive to views and sociability’. There were many locations in the lounge area, and certainly along the walkway with nice places to sit, watch the sea out of a ‘window’ that pretty much is the size of the ship stern. We play cards and meet friends to socialize and so on. Yes, there are a few plastic seats along the side, but there are a number of alcove type places with nice seating. 

All very personal opinion on what is a sociable and comfortable place. 

Den

Thanks, Den... will be interested to see how available the alcove type places are.  We always book Sunset Verandas so we're definitely happy with wake view, but hope for some comfortable chairs!

There’s a big difference between the enjoyment of a forward facing lounge (“we are coming up on a great waterfall, get your cameras ready” “there’s a whale up ahead”) and aft-facing views, no matter how dramatic the windows (“ we just passed a whale, hope you got to see it as we sail away from it”).  The two aren’t equivalent in my view.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There’s a big difference between the enjoyment of a forward facing lounge (“we are coming up on a great waterfall, get your cameras ready” “there’s a whale up ahead”) and aft-facing views, no matter how dramatic the windows (“ we just passed a whale, hope you got to see it as we sail away from it”).  The two aren’t equivalent in my view.

Exactly.  There is a reason they put the bridge on the front of the ship and not the rear.  There is a reason the suite guests get a forward facing view and real balconies...

Sky Lounge was a nice quiet place you could go to relax in the evenings as well.  Eden in the evenings has entertainment and is loud.

22 hours ago, twincheryl said:

Thanks so much for your comments.  We're on Apex in January 2023 and Oct 2024, as well as Edge in May 2024.  We spend several hours of our day in Sky Lounge reading and socializing, so we'll surely miss that area.  Hopefully we can find another place with some kind of windows to enjoy... or may be a deal breaker for us as well.  

If that ship is like Edge.... you might find some seats on the ramp in Eden... not so good for socializing..but a nice view out the back. I love the S class for the Sky Lounge... we would spend quite a bit of time there, either reading or watching the ship pullout of various ports. Alas there is not place to do that on the E class...unless you don't mind looking at where you have been..vs where you are going. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last day of our Apex cruise and we love everything about this ship! Many little groupings with sofa and chairs in Eden… and so many little back pillows in the chairs everywhere. While we miss Sky Lounge forward views, we will be very happy on our future Apex and Edge cruises!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1