ICON of the seas - what are your first thoughts

bgoff60

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

As someone who had one, I can tell you it was quite cool on deck 10, we had the port side on Central Park and again we had the last one on deck 11 starboard on the Aqua Theater and the breeze was quite brisk there as well. 

You haven't had one yet because nobody has had a cabin inside an AquaDome yet until the ship comes out. I'm wondering about the heat having one entire wall of glass in your cabin. It's not a cabin I would want, but I'm going to be very curious when folks book these Panoramic suites to see if there are heat issues, especially in the summer months in the Caribbean. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

As someone who had one, I can tell you it was quite cool on deck 10, we had the port side on Central Park and again we had the last one on deck 11 starboard on the Aqua Theater and the breeze was quite brisk there as well.  We had no complaints whatsoever except that you had to be discreet when dressing, but if you kept the sheer curtains closed during the day, no one could see you in there unless you were well backlit from the mirror or bathroom.  Had to close the blackouts during the nights though to limit noise from Boardwalk and the Aqua shows, but Central Park was lovely, cricket and bird sounds and string ensembles at night.  We'd book one again without question.

For people who say they want to just chill out and watch the sea, deck 16 is predominately just that, places everywhere on that deck to just watch the ocean.  People really need to explore the deck plans.

I think your above comment, the poster you were commenting on was talking about ICON, not Wonder which your comment was about. when you said Been there..........

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

You haven't had one yet because nobody has had a cabin inside an AquaDome yet until the ship comes out. I'm wondering about the heat having one entire wall of glass in your cabin. It's not a cabin I would want, but I'm going to be very curious when folks book these Panoramic suites to see if there are heat issues, especially in the summer months in the Caribbean. 

Yeah, I at first thought you were talking about inside balconies on Central Park, so I was referencing Oasis class...later I reread it...I corrected that in subsequent post.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Looks like the dome is outer wall of the cabin. 

Exactly.  But, If you take the 360* tour and stop it right when they are panning that area, you can see space between the window and the X panels, also on some of the actual photos on the ICON thread, you can see a bulkhead between the Aqua Dome inside that separates that space from the cabins.  So I suspect your view will be looking through both glasses, the window itself and the X panels of the extended wings of the  dome.  But the only way to tell will be to get one or tour one, hoping to do that in 2024. I have been able to see a few cabins on Disembark day after people have left their cabins and the stewards were cleaning.

We're in our early 50s and mostly cruise with our daughter who is currently 20, so we're not part of the "young families" demographic. That said, all three of us are very active and enjoy activities on the ship on sea days, so we're excited about Icon. We look for different things in a ship depending on the itinerary. We're planning on a Med cruise next year, and for that one we're happy to sail on one of the older ships. For a Caribbean sailing, though, we want a ship with more bells and whistles. Since times in port tend to be shorter and there are typically several sea days, we want to have plenty to do. Icon will definitely fit the bill for us.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 7:10 AM, Bella0714 said:

This ship looks like it will be more environmentally friendly than other RCL ships. If that turns out to be true, I’d sail on it for that reason alone.

There was another poster who frequents this board and often contributes insider engineering type knowledge (sorry, I can't remember the username or I'd just tag them) who pointed out that while LNG might burn cleaner, it's also not yet available at an industrial scale in terms of logistics and may take more to transport to different ports for ships to use. In terms of "environmentally friendly," there is definitely two (or more) sides to this discussion.

• 11 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 7:35 AM, CruisingWalter said:

EVERY cruise is about the personal experience. Doesn't matter which ship, which cruise line, no matter how many bells and whistles any ship has, it's all about the personal experience. If you don't personally have a good experience on a ship, you're not going back. The bells and whistles might lure you onto the ship, but if you don't enjoy it on a personal level, you're not going back. 

Totally agree.  There is a big difference between likes and dislikes for every individual.  There are also preconceived expectations that affect your attitude going into a cruise.  What is important to you?

• Ports and excursions
  • Entertainment (day and night time)
  • Food
  • Kid Friendly
  • Price
  • Service
  • Room and amenities 

Picking the right Ship and/or Ship for you is very important and in many cases dictates whether you have a positive experience of not.