Which app for walking tours in ports

richbum

X2 on GPSMYCITY.  I often look at the tourist info center websites for places I will visit. They usually have those tourist maps that highlight attractions, and public transport options.  I find them helpful to put things in perspective when planning a walking tour.   Typically we end up modifying/combining suggested walks from GPSMYCITY. 

• Like 1

It isn't clear if you are looking for actual walking tours, maps of cities or sites that recommend walking tours.  If the 1st you can go on line and download or purchase and download tours which take you on city or site walks.  They tell you where to go and what you are seeing when you get there.  Google is your friend here.

DON

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

It isn't clear if you are looking for actual walking tours, maps of cities or sites that recommend walking tours.  If the 1st you can go on line and download or purchase and download tours which take you on city or site walks.  They tell you where to go and what you are seeing when you get there.  Google is your friend here.

DON

Thank you for recommendations. I am looking from other cruisers for an app that they have used in ports...whether for a specific walking tour of the port areas, or a maps of the area so that we can plan our own tour....I have looked on google, but wanted to get a recommendation from other like minded cruisers who have done similar things. I have never been to a couple of the ports on our cruise, and was just looking for something that other cruisers have used in ports. 

I do not think there is a one size fits all answer.  For example, while we might suggest Rick Steves for some European cities, that does not work for Asia, Africa, South America, etc.  There are also some cities that have their own (often done by a Visitors Bureau) walking tours that are quite good.

We are lifelong independent travelers and always suggest there is no substitute for doing pre-trip homework.  That includes looking at various walking tour options and downloading the most desirable.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, Hlitner said:

I do not think there is a one size fits all answer.  For example, while we might suggest Rick Steves for some European cities, that does not work for Asia, Africa, South America, etc.  There are also some cities that have their own (often done by a Visitors Bureau) walking tours that are quite good.

We are lifelong independent travelers and always suggest there is no substitute for doing pre-trip homework.  That includes looking at various walking tour options and downloading the most desirable.

Hank

Including local public transportation route maps -- Rome has a pretty easy-to-use tram system  (not to mention a much more formidable bus system which I would only suggest for the true wanderer) which is a great way to extend walking tours.