How big a deal is it to grab a free drink for a friend who doesn't have the drinks package?

pookel

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Wow...this brings back memories.   When I was in my 20s I used to go to The Sizzler with my mother.  If you got an entree....you got the salad bar for free.  And the salad bar was fantastic...it wasn't just salad.  Without the entree...you had to pay for the salad bar.  My mother used to insist that she order the entree and I should take "her salad bar" (I only wanted the salad bar).  I did it once....really instead of fighting with mom.  After that, I refused to go there unless I ordered and paid for my saBulad bar.

But, yes, this is a perfect analogy.  One drink, maybe.  But planning this in advance...no!

"My people" call this "schnorring".

A real goniff, eh?? 😉

• Like 2

I'm always amazed at how many people who don't like or don't plan to adhere to the rules they agreed to when signing up for a cruise.  

Grey area's I can understand seeking clarification on (FASSUP+ bottle of wine sharing issue is one I have). 

Might as well just share all your drinks, hog all the pool chairs and let your underage children into adult only areas.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, pookel said:

My husband and I have the "Free at Sea" unlimited open bar package. We're traveling with friends who aren't heavy drinkers and didn't spring for the package. I know it's technically not allowed to share drinks but is anyone going to notice if I grab a second drink for a friend when I go to the bar? I guess I'm wondering how serious an offense it is and if anyone really cares. (I'm NOT talking about grabbing a bunch of extra liquor for people who didn't pay for it, but just like an occasional soda or maybe beer/wine.)

Technically Not Allowed? Its called stealing plain and simple

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, juju2454 said:

THIS!!!   Imagine if they asked about tips???? gads.  Guess we can only asks the "right" questions.  

The "tips" comments and post often turn into my ghettotainment for the day. Nothing says "I've never had anything" more than those posters that start social media  battles talking about how they always tip. lol.🤪 As if this is even something to engage... Who does this... except people that have never been able to feel like " I finally made it, I've finally found someone I can feel superior to" and it's all over  how a few hundred dollars was spent on  vacation. 💸 💸🤑

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Wow...this brings back memories.   When I was in my 20s I used to go to The Sizzler with my mother.  If you got an entree....you got the salad bar for free.  And the salad bar was fantastic...it wasn't just salad.  Without the entree...you had to pay for the salad bar.  My mother used to insist that she order the entree and I should take "her salad bar" (I only wanted the salad bar).  I did it once....really instead of fighting with mom.  After that, I refused to go there unless I ordered and paid for my saBulad bar.

But, yes, this is a perfect analogy.  One drink, maybe.  But planning this in advance...no!

had to look it up.. (although it comes from Wikipedia... I think we get the message....

Schnorrer (שנאָרער; also spelled shnorrer) is a Yiddish term meaning "beggar" or "sponger".
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I really miss Sizzler- the pro move was to make your entree  a burger or chicken sandwich which was only $1 or maybe $2 more than the salad bar alone

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Grey area's I can understand seeking clarification on (FASSUP+ bottle of wine sharing issue is one I have). 

Not grey at all.  I've had either P+ or FAS+ on my last three cruises.  It's just me in the cabin.  I dine with friends who only have the basic package.  I order a bottle of Moet with dinner and the waiter comes out with glasses for the table.  I was a bit surprised the first time it happened but it's happened at literally every meal.  Sometimes the glasses for the table come out automatically, sometimes they'll ask my friends if they want a glass.  But either way, there's no policy against sharing.

Moreover, I could have ordered another bottle (or a third, if I were sufficiently conscious by that point) but my friends generally order their own wine by the glass.  And that's the point:  I could have just as easily foregone the bottle and ordered multiple glasses of Veuve by the glass.  But sometimes if a restaurant is busy, ordering a bottle is just more convenient for everyone, especially the waitstaff.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

The big issue here is that I truly believe that the OP doesn't believe that this is a big issue (and wanted support on that front.) But it is.

Several people have mentioned that this is reason that NCL won't let just one person in the cabin purchase a drink package.  They know people are dishonest so they need to mitigate their losses. It's the reason why prices in general are what they are because not only do people shoplift or steal but they also do things like pretend they didn't receive a package so that the merchant sends a "replacement", etc.

It's not always clearly evident how one small "cheat" impacts the greater good, but it does. It's not that the one Margarita you give to your friend does all the damage, but it's the hundreds or thousands of other people who do the exact same thing that drives the policy changes that negatively impact everyone.

It works the same way in reverse. People may think that one single act of kindness can't make a big difference, but it does when we're all doing it.

Yes, you can cheat the system and give your friend free drinks and you probably will not get caught. Or you could buy them a drink if they really can't afford it. It all depends upon whether or not you want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

The big issue here is that I truly believe that the OP doesn't believe that this is a big issue (and wanted support on that front.) But it is.

Several people have mentioned that this is reason that NCL won't let just one person in the cabin purchase a drink package.  They know people are dishonest so they need to mitigate their losses. It's the reason why prices in general are what they are because not only do people shoplift or steal but they also do things like pretend they didn't receive a package so that the merchant sends a "replacement", etc.

It's not always clearly evident how one small "cheat" impacts the greater good, but it does. It's not that the one Margarita you give to your friend does all the damage, but it's the hundreds or thousands of other people who do the exact same thing that drives the policy changes that negatively impact everyone.

It works the same way in reverse. People may think that one single act of kindness can't make a big difference, but it does when we're all doing it.

Yes, you can cheat the system and give your friend free drinks and you probably will not get caught. Or you could buy them a drink if they really can't afford it. It all depends upon whether or not you want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Very well said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lightnin42 said:

If they are not big drinkers, why not get the drink package. The cost works out to be about two drinks a day. It doesn’t make sense to not have it.

Unless they booked a Sail Away rate - in that case the cost is significant.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, pookel said:

My husband and I have the "Free at Sea" unlimited open bar package. We're traveling with friends who aren't heavy drinkers and didn't spring for the package. I know it's technically not allowed to share drinks but is anyone going to notice if I grab a second drink for a friend when I go to the bar? I guess I'm wondering how serious an offense it is and if anyone really cares. (I'm NOT talking about grabbing a bunch of extra liquor for people who didn't pay for it, but just like an occasional soda or maybe beer/wine.)

Aren't you glad you asked? 🤣 I used to "run things by" folks here like you did, and then I just decided it wasn't worth it. If I'm considering doing something, I just do it, or not. As far as your scenario goes, it all comes out in the wash. My wife drinks very little, so what NCL might theoretically lose in your case, they'll more than make up for with my wife. I think they allow unlimited numbers of drinks per day. Well I'm lucky if I make it to 5. My wife? Maybe 2-3. Don't sweat it. Have a great cruise.

• Haha 4

On 11/30/2022 at 7:02 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

How sad that we’ve come to this…

Is it OK to break the rules?
What if I break the rules of a big corporation - that’s OK, right?
I’m not going to break the rules very often!
My parents never taught me right from wrong, so it’s OK if I do this, even if you don’t.

Stealing isn’t stealing if you don’t get caught, correct?

Life is a zero sum game - for me to win, you have to lose.

No, there is not a sliding scale of right and wrong that you can manipulate to save a few bucks for yourself. 🙄🙄

Oh, really? You don't seriously believe this, do you?

On 11/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, juju2454 said:

Well to say nearly all do the rith thing would mean that 2 people in the same room wouldn't both need the drink package.   Yes?  
I get the whole not share thing, but the "you're stealing, you're cheating,  that is just not necessary.  Tht is the holier than thou, evause we all know that people do things they shouldn't on cruises, in stores etc. Human nature.   

All they asked was a basic yes or no question, and instead people begin to chastize.  Salty plain and simple.    People who aren't frequent cruisers asks these questions, and then they get bombarded with snark  and judgy answers.    What is ridiculous is telling people they are thiefs, or stealing when all they did was ask.  They asked.

Exactly, and you know what? Why isn't it considered stealing for the cruise line to force 2 adults in the same cabin to get the package, even if one is a non-drinker, recovering alcoholic or allergic to alcohol? It's a great case of seeing one injustice and ignoring another. The holier-than-thou pontificators are hilarious to me. I wonder where their ire is when the cruise line closes a venue like Spice H20 with no reduction in the fare, skipping ports with no compensation, cancels a cruise and gives them FCC, but then jacks up the price of the next cruise, etc, drops their favorite Scotch or charges extra for it, etc.? I could go on. They see the "sin" of a person sharing a package but then give a pass to the cruise line when they're shafted for far more. Hilarious! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Have to agree with @DCGuy64 here.  You’re going to get varying answers if you ask that sort of question here (along with how others dress, tipping, and chair hogging).

So, here’s my 2¢.

If I have a friend who was so tight that they want me to get them a “free drink” on my drink package, I might consider them a “mooch”.  They can buy their own drinks (just like you did when you paid), right?

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Aren't you glad you asked? 🤣 I used to "run things by" folks here like you did, and then I just decided it wasn't worth it. If I'm considering doing something, I just do it, or not. As far as your scenario goes, it all comes out in the wash. My wife drinks very little, so what NCL might theoretically lose in your case, they'll more than make up for with my wife. I think they allow unlimited numbers of drinks per day. Well I'm lucky if I make it to 5. My wife? Maybe 2-3. Don't sweat it. Have a great cruise.

"It all comes out in the wash"???  Wrong.  NCL has run their numbers and included the fact that some don't drink as much as others.  So there is no NCL makes up for it becuase your wife doesn't drink as much.

That train of thought is nothing more than a very weak attempt to justify stealing from NCL.  Might as well just say that the one drink won't affect their bottom line because they are so big.

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Oh, really? You don't seriously believe this, do you?

I believe it absolutely.  What kind of society does not believe this to be true?

27 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly, and you know what? Why isn't it considered stealing for the cruise line to force 2 adults in the same cabin to get the package, even if one is a non-drinker, recovering alcoholic or allergic to alcohol? 

Do you really need someone to explain to you the fact that the requirement that both passengers purchase the drink package is part of a contract between you and NCL that you have all the right to accept, or not?  YOU agreed to that requirement when you booked the cruise.  NCL did not agree to having people steal from them when they don't get the drink package.

It's a great case of seeing one injustice and ignoring another. 

Injustice?  Since when is something that you have a choice to accept or not an injustice (referring to the both passengers have to buy the package).

I wonder where their ire is when the cruise line closes a venue like Spice H20 with no reduction in the fare, skipping ports with no compensation, cancels a cruise and gives them FCC, but then jacks up the price of the next cruise, etc, drops their favorite Scotch or charges extra for it, etc.? I could go on. They see the "sin" of a person sharing a package but then give a pass to the cruise line when they're shafted for far more. Hilarious! 

Are you new around these boards?  There are countless examples of people complaining about each and everyone of those topics, many coming from the same people commenting in this thread.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 2

Anything can be silly taken to the extreme. I had a friend who commented at a putt-putt golf course once when a kid's parent was just pushing the ball into the hole that "that kid is going to grow up to be a bank robber because his parent shows him he can cheat and get away with it." Also, the great Ralph Waldo Emerson said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." I think we can agree that some rules are arbitrary, capricious and inconsequential, while others are more serious. Speeding is against the law no matter what, but going 16 mph in a 15 zone is a whole lot different than 120 in a 55.

8 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

"It all comes out in the wash"???  Wrong.  NCL has run their numbers and included the fact that some don't drink as much as others.  So there is no NCL makes up for it becuase your wife doesn't drink as much.

That train of thought is nothing more than a very weak attempt to justify stealing from NCL.  Might as well just say that the one drink won't affect their bottom line because they are so big.

I believe it absolutely.  What kind of society does not believe this to be true?

Do you really need someone to explain to you the fact that the requirement that both passengers purchase the drink package is part of a contract between you and NCL that you have all the right to accept, or not?  YOU agreed to that requirement when you booked the cruise.  NCL did not agree to having people steal from them when they don't get the drink package.

Injustice?  Since when is something that you have a choice to accept or not an injustice (referring to the both passengers have to buy the package).

Are you new around these boards?  There are countless examples of people complaining about each and everyone of those topics, many coming from the same people commenting in this thread.

You seriously need to calm down, dude. This isn't a court of law, it's a forum for cruisers. Wow. Just chill.

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Anything can be silly taken to the extreme. I had a friend who commented at a putt-putt golf course once when a kid's parent was just pushing the ball into the hole that "that kid is going to grow up to be a bank robber because his parent shows him he can cheat and get away with it." Also, the great Ralph Waldo Emerson said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." I think we can agree that some rules are arbitrary, capricious and inconsequential, while others are more serious. Speeding is against the law no matter what, but going 16 mph in a 15 zone is a whole lot different than 120 in a 55.

If someone asked "I know it's technically over the speed limit but how big a deal is it to go 16 mph in a 15 zone" or "I know it's technically over the speed limit but how serious an offense is it to go 16 in a 15 zone" is it wrong to answer both questions that it's against the law?  That they would be speeding and could get ticketed for same?