Boarding time/dining time - hownstrict?

I just logged on to check in for Ovation of the seas boarding in Sydney on Wed and the earliest available slot was 3pm! I was wxpecting to be able to board earlier. How strict are they about enforcing those times? Also for some reason I have been assigned 5.30 MDR dining, which is ridiculously early. What happens if I just rock up at, say 7pm? I am travelling solo.

I don't cruise RCI much at all, but as a general statement, if passengers with  late boarding time rocked up early, creating delays for the earlier ones, I would not be happy. Not directed at you but I would hope the cruise line would be checking boarding times of pax as they arrive for any cruise I was on. . 

• Like 1

Been a while for me with Royal as well. Generally, if there are no queues they aren't strict. If there are queues, they are. If the previous cruise had elevated covid aboard, there will be delays which in turn leads to queues.

When you board, try and get your dining assignment changed. Otherwise, you can arrive at 7pm and take your chances for a walk-up table.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hernextdoor said:

I just logged on to check in for Ovation of the seas boarding in Sydney on Wed and the earliest available slot was 3pm! I was wxpecting to be able to board earlier. How strict are they about enforcing those times? Also for some reason I have been assigned 5.30 MDR dining, which is ridiculously early. What happens if I just rock up at, say 7pm? I am travelling solo.

Dining times are usually 5:30 and 8:00 and you can't just rock up to the traditional dining rooms outside of these times. Your best bet is to either try and get the later time when you board, as a solo probably a good shot or switch to My time dining.

1 hour ago, Hernextdoor said:

Boarding times are something that Australian Border Force has implemented. Nothing to do with Ovation or the contract portside workers . If no line yes they may let you in . If large lines they will definitely send you away. There has been big line-ups . Again if you just want to rock up ......for dinner. ?????? Go to winjammers or go and see any of the staff at the restaurant when you board at 3pm and change your time to second sitting.. 4000 people  just rocking up don't work. 

2 hours ago, Hernextdoor said:

thank you very much for that helpful response. Cheers

Just turn up at the dock after 12:00 you should be right.

As for dining when you get on ,just book it on the app ,you should be right otherwise just turn up to the dining room.

13 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Boarding times are something that Australian Border Force has implemented. Nothing to do with Ovation or the contract portside workers . If no line yes they may let you in . If large lines they will definitely send you away. There has been big line-ups . Again if you just want to rock up ......for dinner. ?????? Go to winjammers or go and see any of the staff at the restaurant when you board at 3pm and change your time to second sitting.. 4000 people  just rocking up don't work. 

Boarding times have nothing to do with Border Force. Terminal ( OPT ) configuration means they are limited to about seven  or eight  officers  to process passengers checked in by about thirty check in agents so understandably there will be delays at Border Force but they have no control or say  on check in/ boarding times.  Staggered check in times are the call of the cruise line designed to reduce the volume of pax within the terminal at any one time (due to covid control protocols )

• Like 5

You were late to check in so you are late to get on board. Just turn up at the time you are supposed to. 

Same people whining embarking is crowded and taking forever yet wanting to or telling others to just turn up at the earliest time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Boarding times have nothing to do with Border Force. Terminal ( OPT ) configuration means they are limited to about seven  or eight  officers  to process passengers checked in by about thirty check in agents so understandably there will be delays at Border Force but they have no control or say  on check in/ boarding times.  Staggered check in times are the call of the cruise line designed to reduce the volume of pax within the terminal at any one time (due to covid control protocols )

The ship is told by border force how many staff that will be available they are in total control. The ship was told Gov protocols to limit the numbers and ensure social distancing . The ship was told they would be denied entry if they could not abide by. 

5 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

The ship is told by border force how many staff that will be available they are in total control. The ship was told Gov protocols to limit the numbers and ensure social distancing . The ship was told they would be denied entry if they could not abide by. 

We have gone on three cruises this year. On none of these did we see social distancing in the terminal. For the first two cruises, we were required to wear masks in the terminal, but for the 5th November cruise, no masks were required in the terminal. We wore them for embarkation.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I guess you have been on a lot of cruises so you would know….I have only worked at the OPT for thirteen years so I would have no idea.

• Like 9

Check in times at cruise terminals were being used well before covid, it is supposed to make boarding a more pleasant experience for eeveryone's no one is waiting around in queues for hours. Possibly, the only thing that has changed is a more rigid enforcement of the check in times.

• Like 4

Its been a while since i cruised, but what I usually do is this.....

I usually get there quite early, say around 11am, and drop off my luggage.

I then hang around the port area, soak up some atmosphere, and board at my allocated time. (This cruise coming up its at 1:30pm)

As much as I'd like to get on board as early as possible, I'm pretty sure the buffet wont run out of food before I get there. 😉

• Like 1

We are on Ovation at the moment.

we had the first available slot at Midday.

Arrived to a total mess. Queues and people everywhere.

probably one of the worse check in.

Key did not help, just surly  told that line is just as long.

huge queue inside just to check RAT, quick glance.

Staff not wearing masks.

got on board to find Windjammer rammed..

6 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

Staff not wearing masks.

We are also on board and had a totally different experience. Arrived about 11.30am dropped bags and were told to join the queue. Took a little while but staff were amazing and we were on board in Windjammer having lunch by 12.30. Totally different experience to boarding Majestic, now that was a nightmare. I think we have to realise, unfortunately Covid has changed everything. I was happy they were so thorough which was different to Majestic!

Now doing a B2B now that is a totally different experience too! Have to pack up, take bags off, then to bring them back on again. Considering we are in the same cabin, that will be a nightmare!

7 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

Staff not wearing masks.

Boarding was delayed because there were about eight or ten guests who had not left the ship from the previous cruise and nothing happens until they have a zero count on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, resordanis said:

We are also on board and had a totally different experience. Arrived about 11.30am dropped bags and were told to join the queue. Took a little while but staff were amazing and we were on board in Windjammer having lunch by 12.30. Totally different experience to boarding Majestic, now that was a nightmare. I think we have to realise, unfortunately Covid has changed everything. I was happy they were so thorough which was different to Majestic!

Now doing a B2B now that is a totally different experience too! Have to pack up, take bags off, then to bring them back on again. Considering we are in the same cabin, that will be a nightmare!

Hardly a nightmare. 

22 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I guess you have been on a lot of cruises so you would know….I have only worked at the OPT for thirteen years so I would have no idea.

13 years Graham, they get less punishment for a capital crime.

A little bit more of your wisdom if I may.  
Can a person in the same cabin (Same booking) board at a different time ? Or do we have to all go together?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

13 years Graham, they get less punishment for a capital crime.

A little bit more of your wisdom if I may.  
Can a person in the same cabin (Same booking) board at a different time ? Or do we have to all go together?

Of course  they can. Obviously the person going with you does not want to be seen in public with you……understandable😂😂😂 

Edited by gbenjo
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

But just being him should be a capital crime surely

Apart from  having to put up with the occasional “obnoxious” passenger ( they know who they are) I enjoy the job and I have been found not guilty of your alleged crime.😇😇

• Like 3