Continental Breakfast/coffee is no longer free? Rumor or Not?

northwoodsmom

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Funny, I could care less about the charge. We have done 11 cruises with NCL. Never got room service with the exception of our last cruise in the Haven. Its far easier for us to grab coffee or some breakfast in the buffet. Guess I'm the odd man out

This won't affect me either. That doesn't mean I don't care though. I feel for those that will have to budget out an extra $36'ish (fake gratuities) to have the vacation they enjoy. And yes, that might be a lot of money to some people. It used to be to me when I was just barely getting by. I'm not one for pastries or coffee in bed, but if others appreciate it, then it doesn't seem to big something NCL needs to charge extra for. 

It sucks and I know there will be charges NCL adds that impact me. It's too bad consumers don't care unless it impacts them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

That is the situation for me as well - so I find this change to be for the better, at least from my personal and very subjective view point.... 😊

Add me in that category also. $5 for hot breakfast delivered fits my schedule. I often miss hot breakfast because I like to sleep late and relax when I'm on vacation. The continental breakfast for $5 never appealed to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

This won't affect me either. That doesn't mean I don't care though. I feel for those that will have to budget out an extra $36'ish (fake gratuities) to have the vacation they enjoy. And yes, that might be a lot of money to some people. It used to be to me when I was just barely getting by. I'm not one for pastries or coffee in bed, but if others appreciate it, then it doesn't seem to big something NCL needs to charge extra for. 

It sucks and I know there will be charges NCL adds that impact me. It's too bad consumers don't care unless it impacts them. 

Not "in bed", but on my balcony before I shower and dress. This the often the time that I post to my live blog and look at the Daily to plan out anything I might want to do that day. I don't love the idea of having to shower and dress just to get coffee. If I ever sail NCL again, I will definitely pay the charge, but I will factor that cost into my cruise planning when I am comparing NCL to other lines that include room service breakfast.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, northwoodsmom said:

Another lovely rumor I heard today.  Starting this week on the Escape they will be charging 4.95 for the continental breakfast that I thought would be free.  They are also dropping their other room service breakfast items to the same price.  These are reports from someone who just came off the ship and the posted the new prices and menus on another well known site that involves friends.

Don’t forget to tip the delivery person

Door hang tag

C26C7BC6-9EB8-4BDB-8144-01E56C6B3F3C.thumb.jpeg.24debbee673978ecb39b0392b5613bcb.jpeg

Room Service Menu - Breakfast

68386673-8C5D-41E0-85EA-E74D7E709C22.thumb.jpeg.a7bd0816ed7acad1394c8ea60e31180d.jpeg68386673-8C5D-41E0-85EA-E74D7E709C22.thumb.jpeg.a7bd0816ed7acad1394c8ea60e31180d.jpeg

Room Service Menu - All Day

C69F0082-D18D-4F58-B9D1-F5FC0C434753.thumb.jpeg.a40a66b66c02c3b8227088dc94f83f2b.jpeg3F099437-4B20-48B6-B73B-22A07CE84DEB.thumb.jpeg.b166c029d423dc47d0b9a01d2c027bf8.jpeg

A3386C6F-32D5-4B38-B38B-5B8FD013A8DD.jpeg

0217678D-B16F-40CD-B70C-B0BB665B9047.jpeg

4F936FD8-AB45-4E05-8693-D90E2DDA7BD9.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Funny, I could care less about the charge. We have done 11 cruises with NCL. Never got room service with the exception of our last cruise in the Haven. It’s far easier for us to grab coffee or some breakfast in the buffet. Guess I'm the odd man out

I get it.  I don’t like eating in my cabin, on those tiny tables, either!

Some of us are still a little raw with some of NCL’s policies since the start up.

It’s been a cumulative issue!

I understand your point, though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never understood the former "continental breakfast is free, hot is not" policy. 

Why was it 'free' to deliver muffins and coffee but 'cost' $10 to put an omelette on the same cart?

In either case the buffet food is already paid for under the cruise fare, so the 'cost' is the personnel time to deliver it, which is roughly the same in either case (the variable being waiting for hot food vs grabbing cold items).   

I guess the main issue now is that the continental breakfast service was free and now its not as I don't see any comments about the $10 charge remaining for room service at any other time of day: a $10 charge for a sandwich at 2pm is ok, but now $5 for coffee, muffins and maybe an omelette at 9am is not?

FWIW, I don't know how this new breakfast charge compares to Carnival/RCCL/Celebrity/Princess/etc.

I do think the new flat rate for breakfast room service is reasonable compromise between 'free' and $10.  $5 for the convenience of having having fresh/hot food delivered to your stateroom for breakfast when you want it (the same food you could go get yourself and eat elsewhere, or carry back), seems reasonable. 

As an aside, I don't recall many hotels/resorts (all inclusive or not) that we've stayed at that had no fee for room service of any kind, regardless of time of day.

(and yes, regardless of room service charge or not, we always tip the delivery person!).

• Like 3

Just my 2 cents - this is the trend across the cruise industries and happening elsewhere as well ... local mom-n-pop diners in our areas had to raise their prices on breakfast items lately to stay on par with inflation (whew, gasoline prices are down, for now) and rising wages, struggling to find workers, willing & able to work the hours.  If you haven't walk into a supermarket lately to buy 2 cartons of eggs, have fun & it might be shocking unless you regularly shop & pay for groceries - those aren't pricing errors on sale.  

We are going to paying more, one way or another, lines like NCL cannot afford not to past along their costs to us indefinitely, postponing the inevitable is not a viable but just a survival option, as occupancies are rising ... while staring down reports of another winter surge in Covid-19 cases.  

I get it ... CC'ers spending thousands on the typical cruises, granted that this is another hated "nickel-and-dime" move on NCL's part, which nobody wants, needs and appreciated.  These days, I hardly read about folks complaining about the Vibe passes, Spa & "Plus" packages, or streaming, unlimited WiFi upgrades.  Take a deep breath and look around ... the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  

I do know, that we aren't going to be paying $1,200+ a week to rent a midsize car on our next vacation.  Happy cruising ... 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, CWMixer said:

I never understood the former "continental breakfast is free, hot is not" policy. 

Why was it 'free' to deliver muffins and coffee but 'cost' $10 to put an omelette on the same cart?

In either case the buffet food is already paid for under the cruise fare, so the 'cost' is the personnel time to deliver it, which is roughly the same in either case (the variable being waiting for hot food vs grabbing cold items).   

I guess the main issue now is that the continental breakfast service was free and now its not as I don't see any comments about the $10 charge remaining for room service at any other time of day: a $10 charge for a sandwich at 2pm is ok, but now $5 for coffee, muffins and maybe an omelette at 9am is not?

FWIW, I don't know how this new breakfast charge compares to Carnival/RCCL/Celebrity/Princess/etc.

I do think the new flat rate for breakfast room service is reasonable compromise between 'free' and $10.  $5 for the convenience of having having fresh/hot food delivered to your stateroom for breakfast when you want it (the same food you could go get yourself and eat elsewhere, or carry back), seems reasonable. 

As an aside, I don't recall many hotels/resorts (all inclusive or not) that we've stayed at that had no fee for room service of any kind, regardless of time of day.

(and yes, regardless of room service charge or not, we always tip the delivery person!).

My belief is that by only offering free continental, it was less appealing than offering hot and cold for free. It also meant an unskilled staff person could do the bulk of the work of room service breakfast.

• Like 1

The competition is pretty intense in the industry.  Even the  smallest differences can tilt someone’s cruise line choice.  Keep adding to the out of pocket and/or services and sooner than later, even your faithful flock will wander..  Other cruise lines will be more than happy to host another line’s loyal customer.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

The competition is pretty intense in the industry.  Even the  smallest differences can tilt someone’s cruise line choice.  Keep adding to the out of pocket and/or services and sooner than later, even your faithful flock will wander..  Other cruise lines will be more than happy to host another line’s loyal customer.

I absolutely agree! I am hearing a TON of people booking MSC lately b/c of all the high costs of the other lines. Could be interesting as I have heard negatives re: MSC but considering it myself for next Fall. We are booked on NCL Escape in February but the pricing for MSC is very attractive and I'd be far more forgiving given their price point- sorta like the 'budget brand'. 

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I wholeheartedly agree. However on this particular matter I do believe that many will consider this as an enhancement. Previously hot breakfast to the cabin was just below $10 - now it is below $5. There will be a lot of people who will be extremely happy about this as $10 sounds too much to pay for a hot breakfast to be delivered to the cabin. However $5 is very much doable for many. There will be a lot of happy and satisfied customers because of this change enjoying their omelet and french toast with all the other breakfast items in their cabin. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 3

It would take a lot more than a $5 dollar delivery charge for me to book MSC.  Maybe if we were retired and life was a perpetual vacation, but when one works vacations are precious.  Not going to go budget brand for a discretionary charge of five bucks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shidah said:

It would take a lot more than a $5 dollar delivery charge for me to book MSC.  Maybe if we were retired and life was a perpetual vacation, but when one works vacations are precious.  Not going to go budget brand for a discretionary charge of five bucks.

MSc has great pricing on their staterooms but I would hardly call them a budget brand. After several cruises in the Haven on various ships, I’m now an MSC convert to their YC. And while I paid less than the Haven, I got sooo much more for my money. I haven’t completely written of NCL but they are no longer my go-to. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

MSc has great pricing on their staterooms but I would hardly call them a budget brand. After several cruises in the Haven on various ships, I’m now an MSC convert to their YC. And while I paid less than the Haven, I got sooo much more for my money. I haven’t completely written of NCL but they are no longer my go-to. 

I think it’s hard for any two people to agree based on the same criteria. You might have two people that agree that NCL is their go to. But one may be a Haven traveler and the other the inside cabin. But if they can both squeeze enough out of the lemon to make a good glass of lemonade, then there is no need to complain. Likewise, the price and experience you had in the YC has got you believing MSC. I am inclined to give most cruise lines a chance if the price and offering has value and then see if the cruise line can deliver. 

• Like 2

Good points about getting hot food delivered for the “nominal” $5 service fee (plus a $1 mandatory gratuity).  Again, don’t like dining in my cabin.  But, perhaps it’s a good deal.  Generally speaking, there is “fee creep”.  $5 here, a charge for Putt-Putt golf there, cheaper liquor choices somewhere else…..we notice it.  Will it cause someone to look elsewhere?  Maybe yes….maybe no.

My answer is yes….combined with some of their broken promises, treatment of guests with little to no thought given to how their actions affect guests, and cumulatively I have looked elsewhere.  

I LOVE to cruise.  I cruise probably 4-6 times a year.  I generally book their most expensive cabins.  So, I’m not looking for the cheapest vacation.  I still believe cruising is a high value vacation option.

And given then number of ships that are sailing (quite a few more than there were 5-10 years ago), the options are more than plentiful.  

Regarding MSC…..not sure where anyone would get the idea they are not the equal of the other cruise lines (in many ways better) has never cruised them.  Their ships are downright gorgeous and their service is just as good as anyone else’s.  Right now, they are high value.  But, that’s not budget by any stretch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I had option to pick trip in February for two rooms back to back.  Will be doing our sixth and seventh YC.

• Like 3

When we order hot breakfast earlier this year on the Joy, it was $9.95 for the cabin ... 2 trays worth for 3.  I believe and expect that to be the same, each time an order is called into room service or using the door hanger.

20220509_092833.jpg

20220509_093513.jpg

On a side note:  has anyone used Uber Eat to order lately ... and know what their charges & fees are, on top of tipping ?? 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Several people mentioned Carnival and wondered what their room service is like.  All room service items have an individual charge (normally around $5, some a little less, some a little more) with the exception of continental breakfast items. There is an automatic 18% service charge added. They have eliminated the door hangers and you are now required to call to order room service, even for breakfast.

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

When we order hot breakfast earlier this year on the Joy, it was $9.95 for the cabin ... 2 trays worth for 3.  I believe and expect that to be the same, each time an order is called into room service or using the door hanger.

20220509_092833.jpg

20220509_093513.jpg

On a side note:  has anyone used Uber Eat to order lately ... and know what their charges & fees are, on top of tipping ?? 

Those hashbrowns look so yummy! Can't believe they were gone on my Sept. cruise (no hash browns at all).

I think I get your point about Uber Eats - I used Uber/Grub Hub for business when I was at a charter school, because no one had time to leave to grab food for meetings. I literally never use those services personally. Way too freaking expensive! I priced out a Taco Bell order one day - it was $45 for a $20 order of food, and this was two years ago (way before inflation started creeping up). 

Just for the heck of it I did just do a mock Grub Hub order (I know it's not Uber). The fees are $.49 for delivery, $1.21 for service, so $1.70. Not too bad, until you add a nearly $6.00 (20%) tip on.

I priced out an Uber Eats order and it's $2.49 for delivery, $2.50 service fee, so that's $4.99, plus a tip of roughly $4.00 (20%). 

The above are random restaurants. Now I'm going to see what my typical Taco Bell meal is (yes, I enjoy Taco Bell...look out below). 

Taco Bell - now this is where your point really comes across in that NCL is charging not a lot for room service, especially since (unlike what most posters say), a tip is not required (DSC, y'all). 

Uber Eats/Grub Hub

Order is $20.34 for food, only

Delivery fee: $4.49

Service Fee: 2.03

Tip (20%): $4.80

Total: $33.67

Now, if I'm not lazy and go get it (based on their online ordering which I think is the same price as ordering in store), I'd pay $15.97. No upcharge items, no delivery fee, no service fee, no tip! 

I think I'll continue bringing lunch to the office, thanks! And, if I had to pay room service fee of $4.95, I'd just wander my fat arse to the main dining room or buffet for breakfast, rather than pay an extra $4.95 (I'm cheap). 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

called into room service or using the door hanger.

Those breakfasts look yummy.  Do you know if you can use the hang tag and write in some of the items that are in the book menu, like Express Breakfast?

Wife and I love to get coffee and other Continental "breakfast snacks" before true breakfast or brunch (yes, we sound like Hobbits) (Danish, rolls, fruit, etc).  We've done it almost every day we've sailed on whatever cruise line we are on.  It was always free, but we can understand costs and times change.   we'll have to re-evaluate after this next cruise if we still want to do it every morning.  

FYI - I did the Upgrade Package in the past (included hot breakfast items and other stuff) but found I didn't really use it.  

Edited by scooter6139