Dinner Splendor Pool Grill

Observer

On 12/10/2022 at 11:52 PM, Pcardad said:

Confirmed. Pool deck dinner shutting down permanently due to losing money.

I suspect this has more to do with staffing rather than ‘losing money’ per se.

Allocating wait, bar & prep staff to an underused venue could detract from evening service elsewhere on the ship.

Sorry for those who enjoyed the Pool Grill in the evenings. Not a detriment for us as we enjoy the other restaurants on board; only frequenting the Pool Grill & Bar for enjoyable relaxing lunches in the sun 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I suspect this has more to do with staffing rather than ‘losing money’ per se.

Allocating wait, bar & prep staff to an underused venue could detract from evening service elsewhere on the ship.

Sorry for those who enjoyed the Pool Grill in the evenings. Not a detriment for us as we enjoy the other restaurants on board; only frequenting the Pool Grill & Bar for enjoyable relaxing lunches in the sun 😎

This was extra staff being put up in guest cabins and a lot of energy and food wasted...and it might come back....time to start an email campaign!

Like most others, I am also disappointed to hear the Pool Grill won't be open for dinner.  BUT, we were on Navigator for 40 nights from Montreal to Southampton this past June/July.  It was quite cold most days so hardly anyone (if anyone at all) ate dinner at the Pool Grill.  We also loved the ability to come off an excursion and not get changed for dinner.  But in all honesty, it was a massive waste of food.  When we did Polynesia in 2018 it was a different story.  Maybe Regent will consider a cruise by cruise option.  We will be on Navigator in March in the Caribbean.  We would likely eat up there a few times since the weather will be warm an we have some late arriving excursions.  

But, considering cost of food and supply chain issues, it's an easy move to make to help alleviate some of the issues.  As to crowded dining venues, we never found this to be a problem (except Sette Mari at opening times) even though no one was eating at the Pool Grill.   So not likely much of a "crowded restaurant" issue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Observer:  

That person is

Jennefer Teegen, Director of Guest Experiences & Loyalty

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

7300 Corporate Drive

Miami, FL 33126

jteegen@rssc.com

Jennefer has responded quite promptly when I have contacted her on past matters.  

GOARMY!

Thank you.  I will write to her shortly.

10 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

How about getting room service delivered to the pool deck?   

Something to consider...  On Regent and Seabourn, we've been able to coordinate private dinners on the top deck.   Regent will set up a table outside and you can arrange the menu, as long as you give advance notice.   

This is something our TA suggested years ago and we've stuck with it when the itinerary/weather allow. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

I never experienced ANY of the problems finding a seat, never saw them run out of food, and the fact that “seating was hard to come by” means someone enjoyed it.

I think the person who mentioned the crowding and running out of food was probably talking about lunch. Dinner has always been empty when we have gone.
P.S. agree lamb chops are delicious!

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the cruise-by-cruise approach to this.  I also think that perhaps it would be more viable on the smaller Navigator which has fewer specialty choices. They do this on Seabourn, and for a small ship like that, it's very welcome to have another venue, even if the weather is a bit iffy (they supplied blankets to us in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in October.)

• Like 4

On 12/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I think the person who mentioned the crowding and running out of food was probably talking about lunch. Dinner has always been empty when we have gone.
P.S. agree lamb chops are delicious!

If you're both referring to my post, the crowding and running our of food was as lunch. In my opinion, the problem was caused by destination services scheduling the shore excursions as close together as possible. They finished their job in a limited amount of time when passengers were leaving and returning to the ship, but when hundreds of passengers return to the ship just as lunch service is about to end, the result was not good. And it wasn't just once or twice. After that lunch experience, Compass Rose would always be my preference for dinner.

Very disappointed if they completely eliminate the pool grill dinner option. We were on Explorer in October for a 12 night Med cruise and dinner was served there maybe twice but on days where shore excursions did not get back until late. I would have no problem if that is how it operates going forward. I'd hate to come back after a 12-13 hour shore trip and have to dress for a very late dinner.

One thing we were VERY disappointed in was the removal of the King Crab entree in Prime 7. It was DW's favorite.

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

One thing we were VERY disappointed in was the removal of the King Crab entree in Prime 7. It was DW's favorite.

Is that a "forever thing" (change), or did they just happen to run out of it on that particular cruise?

21 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

I'd hate to come back after a 12-13 hour shore trip and have to dress for a very late dinner.

I seem to remember that back before the Pool Grill opened for dinner, they would put on a casual buffet in La Veranda (rather than opening as Sette Mari) in those ports where long shore excursions were expected to return late.

We used the pool grill for dinner this past month on Voyager. The salmon and lamb chops were perfect! We will be very sad if it no longer available for dinner. I don't think room service will cut it. Lamb chops right off the grill cannot be duplicated via room service. And the bar is so close!

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, carolina cruisin said:

I too am disappointed and agree with those that enjoyed it and will miss it. For those that didn’t care for it, and they have every right not to - I will just say that 2 of the last 3 cruises served dinner at the pool grill. I never experienced ANY of the problems finding a seat, never saw them run out of food, and the fact that “seating was hard to come by” means someone enjoyed it. It was a great place to eat when returning from a late excursion for those that just did not want to bother dressing up that evening. 

Since this seems aimed at me, the service and lunch at the Pool Grill was either bad or terrible every day of our 24 night cruise, including the day we boarded Splendor in September this year.  Because of that  we never considered eating there for dinner. Service at lunch was very bad,  and it was impossible to order drinks or something from  lunch and reliably receive it. We often had to flag down servers numerous times and ask about our order. Sometimes this helped, but often we had to go to the buffet items which were never very good, and never received anything to drink with our lunch,  not even water or iced tea. Our dinners, including our first night in Compass Rose were all very good or excellent, so why would we want to eat dinner there.?

Did you try the lunch at the Pool Grill, or did you just go there for dinner? In the past, we haven't had poor service at the Pool Grill, but that was totally changed on our first Splendor cruise.

We did find our least favorite female bartender from past cruises on Regent, was often at the pool bar. She wasn't working there, but was distracting those who were, rather than being at the bar where she was supposed to be working (which was often "open" but with no bar tender visible). Perhaps she was trying to find the liquor she was out of at her bar by "borrowing" it from the pool bar. Our future cruises are not on Splendor, so I hope she stays where she is.

I don't tend to "aim" comments at anyone - just responding to comments made.  So sorry that anyone has a bad experience on any of the Regent ships - at any of the venues.  I was just relaying that I did not encounter this problem and would go back to the pool grill for lunch or dinner anytime.  In fact - just did so on the Mariner during our recent South American cruise.  Happy Holidays to all.

16 hours ago, Turn 8A said:

We used the pool grill for dinner this past month on Voyager. The salmon and lamb chops were perfect! We will be very sad if it no longer available for dinner. I don't think room service will cut it. Lamb chops right off the grill cannot be duplicated via room service. And the bar is so close!

We were on the same cruise as your Turn 8A.  We used the Pool Grill a few times and found the service good and the food was very good.  However, if you wanted french fries with your cheeseburger or whatever, you were out of luck.  They usually had baked potatoes or something else.  On those rough sea evenings, it was fun watching the pool splash away!