Real ID enforcement date extended

teknoge3k

24 minutes ago, amydresh said:

Wow!  I live in NE Wisconsin and i just got a Real ID this past summer.  Walked in and was out in about 20-30 minutes.  They don't allow license plate renewals there anymore though, you have to do that all online, so that definitely frees up the lines a little.

I'm NE Wisconsin as well. Appleton area. My husband took our son for his temps on Saturday. 30 minutes. I think they do a nice job. It used to be worse, but when they switched to different lines for different things and the whole number and letter system, it got so much better. I don't really know how it works, I just know that it does.

3 hours ago, CGrey93 said:

I'm NE Wisconsin as well. Appleton area. My husband took our son for his temps on Saturday. 30 minutes. I think they do a nice job. It used to be worse, but when they switched to different lines for different things and the whole number and letter system, it got so much better. I don't really know how it works, I just know that it does.

I’m in Green Bay.  There definitely was a time when it sucked to go to the DMV but their number system now seems to get people in and out fairly quickly.

As I'm sitting here this morning I had a thought. While I understand this latest delay since folks weren't able to get into a DMV in person to get the REAL ID thanks to COVID I do wonder how many fliers this actually affects. I would expect that the vast majority of the frequent fliers, the ones that travel more than once a year, have long had an ID that is REAL ID compliant. Since they travel by air so frequently they can't take the chance of being caught without a necessary ID. I know that is what I would have done if regular flying is part of my life.

We also had a problem getting a real-id non-drivers license for my special needs daughter.  There is literally nothing with her name and address on it, as she lives with us and pays no bills or utilities.   Finally ended up getting her life plan from her dayhab program and mychart medical stuff off the computer, and brought it to the dmv along with her TSA pre-check paperwork, passport and old non-drivers license. They finally accepted the paperwork after calling over 2 supervisors. What a pain that was!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

As I'm sitting here this morning I had a thought. While I understand this latest delay since folks weren't able to get into a DMV in person to get the REAL ID thanks to COVID I do wonder how many fliers this actually affects. I would expect that the vast majority of the frequent fliers, the ones that travel more than once a year, have long had an ID that is REAL ID compliant. Since they travel by air so frequently they can't take the chance of being caught without a necessary ID. I know that is what I would have done if regular flying is part of my life.

I would expect it will affect quite a few, mostly vacation, travelers.  I wouldn't be surprised if a sizeable portion of the population is not even aware of what RealID is let alone any specific deadlines.  These would also be the same people who feel that since they never leave the country they do not need a passport.  Once RealId is fully implemented I expect to see stories in the news about people being turned away at security because their ID is no longer good enough.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iria64 said:

I would expect it will affect quite a few, mostly vacation, travelers.  I wouldn't be surprised if a sizeable portion of the population is not even aware of what RealID is let alone any specific deadlines.  These would also be the same people who feel that since they never leave the country they do not need a passport.  Once RealId is fully implemented I expect to see stories in the news about people being turned away at security because their ID is no longer good enough.

Yes, those who travel infrequently if at all are probably in the dark about the whole thing and they are the main reason for the delay in implementation (I believe the press release said only 50% of citizens have REAL ID so far). If one never leaves the country there really is no need for a passport and should one need a REAL ID compliant ID the passport card would be the way to go. I do expect there will be some who get turned away, the number remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, iria64 said:

And their Congressmen's offices will be flooded with complaints.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I got mine this year during the regular, in person license renewal for Colorado.  CO makes you go to the DMV every 10 years or so when they won't allow you to renew online.

NY state does odd things as usual. You can renew online, but the County officials (at least those in my county) want you to go in person to the local DMV. The reason is the county gets no revenue from online transactions, but gets a percentage of the fee when done at the DMV. I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but I remember it as somewhere around 12%. 

• Like 2

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that in addition to passports, military IDs (whether currently serving, dependant or retired) and federal government employee IDs are also Real ID compliant, so a lot of folks are covered by those without either paying the extra fee or carrying a passport around.  And I always have my retired Army ID in my wallet right next to my driver's license.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, mz-s said:

The only reason you need a real ID is if you want to be able to fly domestically without needing your passport, one day maybe when this real ID law actually perhaps comes in effect. They keep delaying it so we may all be dead by then, who knows.

Might come in handy if you have to fly while in the passport renewal process. 

7 hours ago, RenoNanaOz said:

I just don't get this. You have to bring in a few more "proof of residence" documents and you get a DL with a star on it???? Oh and it cost double of a regular DL, there it is.

In my state, charge is the same as for a regular DL. 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:53 PM, mz-s said:

DMVs in a lot of areas are overwhelmed - appointments are months out for some reason and have been for years now.

DH and I just made our appointments today (they're about a month out on availability). The appointments are not just for real ID, but any DMV business, With an appointment, there's no waiting in line. You can also just show up with your documents and plan to wait in line however many hours it takes.

8 hours ago, RenoNanaOz said:

I just don't get this. You have to bring in a few more "proof of residence" documents and you get a DL with a star on it???? Oh and it cost double of a regular DL, there it is.

You also need to provide proof of legal presence in the US, which for most US citizens is the birth certificate. In addition to the extra documentation requirements the REAL ID Act imposes more stringent rules regarding the storage of ID materials, requires a central issuing point(s), and extra security features on the IDs themselves. All of the required measures can add to the cost of producing the IDs so it makes sense that those increases are passed on to the recipient. The end goal is to make IDs more secure and harder to fake.

14 minutes ago, asalligo said:

People all over Facebook keep confusing the need to have a Real ID to fly with getting on the ship. I saw three people yesterday tell someone they had to have a Real ID to board a cruise with a birth certificate. 

Yes and somewhat worse some people believe that a REAL ID complaint license is the same as the Enhanced Drivers License and that it is all they need to board. That is not the case, of course, and right now only 5 states issue EDLs (Vermont, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, and Washington). And the REAL ID isn't just necessary to fly, it's necessary to enter any building/property under Federal jurisdiction.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:52 AM, pe4all said:

We also had a problem getting a real-id non-drivers license for my special needs daughter.  There is literally nothing with her name and address on it, as she lives with us and pays no bills or utilities.   Finally ended up getting her life plan from her dayhab program and mychart medical stuff off the computer, and brought it to the dmv along with her TSA pre-check paperwork, passport and old non-drivers license. They finally accepted the paperwork after calling over 2 supervisors. What a pain that was!  

We have the same problem with our daughter.  I had to bring the letters of conservatorship in order for her to get her Real ID

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And the REAL ID isn't just necessary to fly, it's necessary to enter any building/property under Federal jurisdiction.

I just bought stamps at my local post office last week. That's a federal building, and no one asked me for any identification.

5 hours ago, asalligo said:

People all over Facebook keep confusing the need to have a Real ID to fly with getting on the ship. I saw three people yesterday tell someone they had to have a Real ID to board a cruise with a birth certificate. 

That's because, as others here have stated, it's takes more to get a Real ID than to get a passport. It's crazy that only a handful of states went ahead with the enhanced version when the paperwork is the exact same. I have no clue why they should not count as a travel document on par with a passport considering it takes more documentation to get than a passport. They could easily transmit info to the feds and data bank it. Government inefficiency at its finest.  

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I just bought stamps at my local post office last week. That's a federal building, and no one asked me for any identification.

I hereby amend my comment to read "And the REAL ID isn't just necessary to fly, it's necessary to enter any building/property under Federal jurisdiction that has a security guard to check IDs." (Such as Courthouses.)

59 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I hereby amend my comment to read "And the REAL ID isn't just necessary to fly, it's necessary to enter any building/property under Federal jurisdiction that has a security guard to check IDs." (Such as Courthouses.)

So, if I (or anyone else) get a jury notice for federal court, having no real ID would be an excuse to get out of jury duty as one could not enter the building?

If the defendant has no real ID, would he or she be allowed to attend their own trial?

This all keeps getting more bizarre!

• Like 2