Smoking weed

CharmedLifer

Never have I ever had so many people smoking weed on a cruise. Don’t bother w a balcony. All day and all night people around smoking weed. No open balcony or enjoyment just sitting outside.

Carnival pretends to have and enforce a no illegal substances on board. But security takes their time and has no ability enforce. This is more than 10 cruises. The worst - food, service and the smell of weed everywhere - including smoking deck w impunity. 

Edited by CharmedLifer
  • Like 5

What port and ship did you leave out of?

I smelled weed before, but not like you say. For us, it's not a big deal smelling weed. But, if we smelled it every time out on our balcony that would get old. 

It seems to be an over reaction, imo. 

If it really was as bad as you say, they would have no problem finding the culprits.

• Like 2

I don't agree that it is an overreaction - the OP states the balcony was unusable.

I think Carnival has just given up on enforcement.  They would have to kick off/ban too many people.  Every interaction (security) would be videotaped, posted on social media, and end up being bad press for the company.

Your best option is to find a different cruise line, frankly.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 13

17 minutes ago, justafem said:

I'm sure it'll be legal federally soon.

What difference would that make?  You do realize that the ship is not part of the US, and not subject to most US laws?  Under maritime law, all ships have a zero tolerance for drugs.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

40 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

I don't agree that it is an overreaction - the OP states the balcony was unusable.

I think Carnival has just given up on enforcement.  They would have to kick off/ban too many people.  Every interaction (security) would be videotaped, posted on social media, and end up being bad press for the company.

Your best option is to find a different cruise line, frankly.

Hyperbole? Yes, it is possible that things are just as OP described them, but it is equally possible that they might have exaggerated things a bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What difference would that make?  You do realize that the ship is not part of the US, and not subject to most US laws?  Under maritime law, all ships have a zero tolerance for drugs.

Zero tolerance for drugs? Alcohol is a drug, and a highly addictive one. Specifically, It is classified as a Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant. When the US and Europe make marijuana legal, the cruise industry (maritime law) will modify their rules similar to how they have for alcohol. 

Edited by rolloman
sp
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, CharmedLifer said:

Never have I ever had so many people smoking weed on a cruise. Don’t bother w a balcony. All day and all night people around smoking weed. No open balcony or enjoyment just sitting outside.

Carnival pretends to have and enforce a no illegal substances on board. But security takes their time and has no ability enforce. This is more than 10 cruises. The worst - food, service and the smell of weed everywhere - including smoking deck w impunity. 

I have noticed an uptick in the smell as well. I have had a situation before when a couple sat on their balcony every day smoking and then spraying Lysol. I don't know which smell was more annoying but today, with all the edibles currently on the market, there really is no need for someone to sit and smoke the stuff. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Zero tolerance for drugs? Alcohol is a drug, and a highly addictive one. Specifically, It is classified as a Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant. When the US and Europe make marijuana legal, the cruise industry (maritime law) will modify their rules similar to how they have for alcohol. 

And, ships have one of the most restrictive limits on alcohol use, at all times, on duty or off, of 0.05% and subject to random drug and alcohol testing.

• Like 9

Did you report this to security?

If you reported this then yes, the blame is on Carnival for not doing something.

If you didn't report this you have no call to complain, security can't possibly do anything unless they know about it.  

The first thing they do is put a strongly worded letter under the doors of all nearby cabins informing people that smoking has been reported and that there's a $500 fine plus possible expulsion from the ship, which usually does the job.  After that I have to imagine they'll take measures to catch someone in the act.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I have noticed an uptick in the smell as well. I have had a situation before when a couple sat on their balcony every day smoking and then spraying Lysol. I don't know which smell was more annoying but today, with all the edibles currently on the market, there really is no need for someone to sit and smoke the stuff. 

Not sure everyone likes the edibles. 

A little birdie told me that smoking it is better then eating it...😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

'

All ships according to maritime law have a zero tolerance for drugs, but do all ships enforce this? There have been too many anecdotal posts on these boards to believe that the do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, ships have one of the most restrictive limits on alcohol use, at all times, on duty or off, of 0.05% and subject to random drug and alcohol testing.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

'

All ships according to maritime law have a zero tolerance for drugs, but do all ships enforce this? There have been too many anecdotal posts on these boards to believe that the do.

I believe Chief is referring to zero tolerance for the crew, not the passengers (and that extends to alcohol use as well by crew).

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I believe Chief is referring to zero tolerance for the crew, not the passengers (and that extends to alcohol use as well by crew).

He is distorting what has been said. The topic was about passengers smoking MJ not crew. He was wrong to chastise the poster who said MJ will soon be federally legal in the US. The fact is Alcohol is a drug and so is nicotine and they are both tolerated by maritime law and as MJ continues to become legal...maritime law will adjust as well. This is reminiscent of his failed muster drill stance. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, asalligo said:

This is the problem with legalization. Smoking it in your home is fine. Smoking it in public is unacceptable and if users do not chill, they are going to get a backlash and prevent their legalization from occurring. 

In NY its allowed to be smoked in public anywhere cigarettes are allowed to be smoked. 
I know that has nothing to do with cruises, just pointing out that it is acceptable in public there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, asalligo said:

This is the problem with legalization. Smoking it in your home is fine. Smoking it in public is unacceptable and if users do not chill, they are going to get a backlash and prevent their legalization from occurring. 

That won't happen. states make too much money off the sales tax.

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

'

That is on the cruise line then, if they don't enforce it.

17 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

No, there is a zero tolerance for anyone on a ship.

10 minutes ago, rolloman said:

He was wrong to chastise the poster who said MJ will soon be federally legal in the US.

Did I disagree with the supposition that it would be legal federally soon?  Nope.  It is you who are distorting things.  I pointed out that US federal law has very limited applicability to foreign flag cruise ships.  It is up to the flag state, not the US, as to what laws apply.  And, did I say that maritime law may not evolve?  Not that I see.  I said that regardless of what happens with US federal law, that until 

maritime law does change, the federal law doesn't matter.

10 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The fact is Alcohol is a drug and so is nicotine and they are both tolerated by maritime law and as MJ continues to become legal...maritime law will adjust as well.

Let's see, does nicotine affect the safe performance of a mariner's job.  Not that I am aware of.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Same old argument that's been batted about since the days of "Reefer Madness"🙃

19 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Not sure everyone likes the edibles. 

A little birdie told me that smoking it is better then eating it...😁

Edibles often contain other ingredients.  Smoking will affect your lungs like cigarettes and vaping, if you smoke, smoke smoke, that doobie.  But you avoid the nicotine and tar affects.

3 minutes ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

In NY its allowed to be smoked in public anywhere cigarettes are allowed to be smoked. 
I know that has nothing to do with cruises, just pointing out that it is acceptable in public there.

There are 50 different marijuana laws.  I doubt a Federal law would pass muster with the Supremes.  States rights.

All said, yes people want to "relax" and often forget they're not at home.  But MJ use in foreign ports will still land you in the pokey.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Did I disagree with the supposition that it would be legal federally soon?  Nope.  It is you who are distorting things.  I pointed out that US federal law has very limited applicability to foreign flag cruise ships.  It is up to the flag state, not the US, as to what laws apply.

Let's see, does nicotine affect the safe performance of a mariner's job.  Not that I am aware of.

I simply made reference to the poster you chastised with your incorrect statement of ZERO tolerance for drugs. In addition I mentioned nicotine as a drug...which goes against your ZERO tolerance statement. The fact of the matter is the poster was correct. When MJ becomes legal federally and  globally...and it is well on its way...maritime law will adjust. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Did I disagree with the supposition that it would be legal federally soon?  Nope.  It is you who are distorting things.  I pointed out that US federal law has very limited applicability to foreign flag cruise ships.  It is up to the flag state, not the US, as to what laws apply.  And, did I say that maritime law may not evolve?  Not that I see.  I said that regardless of what happens with US federal law, that until 

maritime law does change, the federal law doesn't matter.

I stand corrected and evidently "zero tolerance" varies by cruise line (and as you say it is on them for not doing so). I do know that if I smell any type of smoke on the balcony I will be reporting it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

All said, yes people want to "relax" and often forget they're not at home.  But MJ use in foreign ports will still land you in the pokey.

There are a lot of laws in different laws in foreign countries which will land you in the pokey...some more bizarre than others (by American views)...the cruise lines "usually" try to make passengers aware of these prior to going ashore. For a simple example, in some countries you can not wear camo clothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I stand corrected and evidently "zero tolerance" varies by cruise line (and as you say it is on them for not doing so). I do know that if I smell any type of smoke on the balcony I will be reporting it.

Well, according to the OP it will do no good. The security not very good on CCL. 

Of course you can report it, but it wont do any good unless they catch them red handed. 

Maybe it makes you feel better reporting it to security. Whatever floats your boat..😁

• Like 1