Diamond Plus - No More Concierge/Suite Lounge Access

DaKahuna

19 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Sailed AD Sept 2019 for 10 nights one way Cape Liberty to Quebec City (with an overnight).

Sailed VY Sept 2022 for 14 nights one way Copenhagen to Boston.

Haven't sailed EX, NV, or MA.  I should have booked EX when it sailed from Cape Liberty.

Looking forward to our B2B2B on VY end of January.  🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BND said:

In April there were something like 27 Pinns on the 12 night and 15 or so on the 8 night and both had the separate Pinn area.  What was really funny was on the 6 night Bermuda in July, we as D+ had the third highest point count onboard (435 or so) and there were only 2 Pinns onboard so we got to go onstage at the Top Tier event as the top three cruisers and get our photo (group) taken with the Captain.  So, yeah, some itineraries have very few.   12 night always has more than other itineraries.  So, they did have the separate area set up on the 8 and 12 night but I don't remember it on the 6 night.  We've gone out of Baltimore on RCI 12 times and the longer itineraries always have the most.

I agree.  Fewer kids on longer cruises too and very, very regular cruisers looking to enjoy some different ports.  Katherine 

2 hours ago, zebra36 said:

IMHO, access to the concierge/suite lounge should be limited to those passengers that paid the appropriate fare to gain access. 

While agree with the sentiment, a small number of Pinnacles, depending on the lounge, is usually not a problem.  The devil is in the details,

Trying to manage this must be a nightmare for the Concierge. 

I am going to be very interested in how it will be on our upcoming Harmony sailing.  The last time we were on an Oasis Class ship was Oasis in 2018.  The Suite Lounge was almost always busy and most of the folks appeared to be Pinnacles, judging by the gold Pinnacle badge they were wearing.  There were a couple of times my wife and I went to  the lounge after 5 PM for a pre-dinner drink only to find no seats available.   

We are hopeful that we will be able to use the suite lounge as a peaceful and relaxing hangout the same way we were able to do on the Quantum.  However, we know we will need to make allowances due to the free beer, wine, and soda starting at 1100.  

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yeah.  Especially when the rules change every week.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am going to be very interested in how it will be on our upcoming Harmony sailing.

When we were on the Harmony the lounge fine.  CK was another story though.  It worked out though with the exception of one night.

6 hours ago, zebra36 said:

IMHO, access to the concierge/suite lounge should be limited to those passengers that paid the appropriate fare to gain access. 

What exactly would that be?  We always cruise in JS and have spent a heck of a lot more than some to get to D+.    Oh, and we've done 4 or 5 cruises in GS.  One cruise in a full suite doesn't cost as much as multiple cruises in a JS. 🙂

Think about it.

Edited by BND

On 12/16/2022 at 7:35 AM, island lady said:

That is they way it is now on most ships.  Nothing new.  I noticed you did not mention Pinnies.  😉 

I think that whole idea of lounge habitation went out with the introduction of vouchers.  We are two seats that go unoccupied now in any happy hour lounge, preferring to use the vouchers at any bar, at any time.  

We had some people who made it abundantly clear that they were D or D+.  I don’t think there were many Pinnies at that time (March 2015).  If they were, they were not very in-your-face about it.

33 minutes ago, midwife1021 said:

We had some people who made it abundantly clear that they were D or D+.  I don’t think there were many Pinnies at that time (March 2015).  If they were, they were not very in-your-face about it.

2015?  Not many D or D+ then either.

Edited by BND

20 hours ago, nelblu said:

That specific goal post was moved many moons ago.  Now Royals is putting it in writing.

That doesn't make it better.  I can't see chasing 340 or Pinnacle if their policy is to remove the perks as more people become eligible for them.

3 hours ago, jclinard said:

That doesn't make it better.  I can't see chasing 340 or Pinnacle if their policy is to remove the perks as more people become eligible for them.

As a solo, the 340-point level is quite valuable as is the D+ balcony discount.  Much more than the silly CL.  Only twice have I had the opportunity to be able to visit the lounge during the 278 points from the D level.  So, in essence, being able to visit the CL is/was a rarity in itself and not getting all twisted up about it.

I'm more concerned about the new upcoming menu than this minutia of a change.

Get over it. EVERY ship has a D lounge and since the daily drink vouchers, the lounges have not been too crowded. The evening appetizers are often identical. 

In some cases, concierge lounge access is off-limits to Pinnacle’s as well.  

m

• Like 1

12 hours ago, midwife1021 said:

Have had Diamonds brag to me many times about their status.....I just smile and say "Congratulations"....and of course I was not wearing my Pinnacle pin at the time.  😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am going to be very interested in how it will be on our upcoming Harmony sailing.  The last time we were on an Oasis Class ship was Oasis in 2018.  The Suite Lounge was almost always busy and most of the folks appeared to be Pinnacles, judging by the gold Pinnacle badge they were wearing.  There were a couple of times my wife and I went to  the lounge after 5 PM for a pre-dinner drink only to find no seats available.   

We are hopeful that we will be able to use the suite lounge as a peaceful and relaxing hangout the same way we were able to do on the Quantum.  However, we know we will need to make allowances due to the free beer, wine, and soda starting at 1100.  

We enjoyed our time in the SL and CK for four weeks on Wonder of which we just returned from a few weeks ago.  Yes, we wore our Pinnacle badges in that venue.  The same as we did on Harmony a few weeks before that.  

Did you ever consider those of that are in there (while you are judging us), may actually be in a full suite?   Grand Suite on that deck is a perfect location we adored.  

If you did not go up and ask those Pinnacles wearing those badges if they were in a full suite...why are you assuming they are taking up "your" suites seats?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jclinard said:

Then don’t chase status.  I don’t. Sail each cruise for the joy of sailing on the cabin that pleases you (or your budget).  Know that you sucked full value from each and every voyage while you were on the ship.  Thus, later whatever C&A perks you receive are truly extra gifts received when you naturally reach that status.

13 hours ago, BND said:

What exactly would that be?  We always cruise in JS and have spent a heck of a lot more than some to get to D+.    Oh, and we've done 4 or 5 cruises in GS.  One cruise in a full suite doesn't cost as much as multiple cruises in a JS. 🙂

Think about it.

I am thinking about it.

I think your arguments are weak sauce.

1) You spent more money because you went on more cruises and reached a specific tier level.  So what?  I'm guessing there are some who spent more to get to D+ just as there are others who spent less. 

2) The cost of a cruise is not consistent.   I know that we have sailed in a GS, for less cost than others who are sailing in a standard balcony.  (I also know I have paid many times their fare)  Perhaps they should have gotten the benefit instead of me?

What I have not seen, is information on spending/profits for different tiers.  My guesses are that as you move up the tier levels you cruise more but spend less.  I suspect the most profitable cruiser is the first time or infrequent cruiser.  If those are true, perhaps Royal should reward them instead of the frequent cruisers.  (Although that would risk turning them into less profitable frequent cruisers)

Really, RCI needs to look at the C&A program.  It's becoming a victim of its own successes.  I think they are, and these changes are the result.  There will be more.  Loyalty programs change all the time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I am thinking about it.

1) You spent more money because you went on more cruises and reached a specific tier level.  So what?  I'm guessing there are some who spent more to get to D+ just as there are others who spent less. 

2) The cost of a cruise is not consistent.   I know that we have sailed in a GS, for less cost than others who are sailing in a standard balcony.  (I also know I have paid many times their fare)  Perhaps they should have gotten the benefit instead of me?

What I have not seen, is information on spending/profits for different tiers.  My guesses are that as you move up the tier levels you cruise more but spend less.  I suspect the most profitable cruiser is the first time or infrequent cruiser.  If those are true, perhaps Royal should reward them instead of the frequent cruisers.  (Although that would risk turning them into less profitable frequent cruisers)

Really, RCI needs to look at the C&A program.  It's becoming a victim of its own successes.  I think they are, and these changes are the result.  There will be more.  Loyalty programs change all the time.

Okay, so you have an opinion.

I was actually responding to the part where the poster said it should be limited to an appropriate fare spent.  My question to that poster was what exactly would that (appropriate fare) be?  Regardless, everyone spends what they spend.  I just wanted to know what the poster considered "appropriate".  

We were kind of a victim of the last major change.  They added Emerald which we were for exactly one cruise.  We were going to make D on that cruise but because of the addition of Emerald, we had to wait one.  Not really a big deal, but it has happened.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

One of the benefits of the lounge limits is it removes this question as all the guests are in a suite.

If it makes you feel any better....Pinnacles in a non (full) suite were banned from the SL/CK on our Wonder cruise in Oct. and November.   

Pinnacles in a non (full) suite have been banned from the CL for weeks on Serenade that we just disembarked from yesterday.  I don't expect to find they will have access to CL on Jewel we are about to board next month.  

The trend is going the way you prefer it...though that will not ban the gold badges in SL/CK.   So you will need to wear your dark sunglasses to avoid the glare.  😉 

This Pinnie actually prefers other venues for happy hour around the ship.  Far less politics, chair saving, and attitude at those venues.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I am thinking about it.

WOW, all of this consternation for a benefit that was not readily available to D+ tier members.  I stopped going to the DL because of the drink vouchers.  The only time that I visit the DL is to get myself coffee and the use the printer.  On my recent Oasis sail, the damn place was mostly empty.

Royal, in most cases, achieved its objective.

An then we got those individuals that want drink coupon usage for the so-called 8th or debarkation day.🤪

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We enjoyed our time in the SL and CK for four weeks on Wonder of which we just returned from a few weeks ago.  Yes, we wore our Pinnacle badges in that venue.  The same as we did on Harmony a few weeks before that.  

Did you ever consider those of that are in there (while you are judging us), may actually be in a full suite?   Grand Suite on that deck is a perfect location we adored.  

If you did not go up and ask those Pinnacles wearing those badges if they were in a full suite...why are you assuming they are taking up "your" suites seats?  

Next time before heading into the SL, you should tape over your pinnacle badge (of course using your pink duct tape) and using your sharpie and print "Pinnacles Stayin' in a Suite" (type of suite is highly recommend). Bucky can get away with just printing on his Pinnacle badge, "I'm with her <----".  🍷 😁

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Next time before heading into the SL, you should tape over your pinnacle badge (of course using your pink duct tape) and using your sharpie and print "Pinnacles Stayin' in a Suite" (type of suite is highly recommend). Bucky can get away with just printing on his Pinnacle badge, "I'm with her <----".  🍷 😁

Great idea my friend!   😄   Yet another use for the miracle Duck Tape product!!  🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nelblu said:

As a solo, the 340-point level is quite valuable as is the D+ balcony discount.  Much more than the silly CL.  Only twice have I had the opportunity to be able to visit the lounge during the 278 points from the D level.  So, in essence, being able to visit the CL is/was a rarity in itself and not getting all twisted up about it.

I'm more concerned about the new upcoming menu than this minutia of a change.

I'm also a solo, and the 340-level supplement discount is one of the best perks out there for me, especially as I don't drink alcohol.  That's why RCI dropping perks as the numbers climb concerns me.  Working towards 340 and then having the single supplement benefit pulled because too many people are hitting this unofficial level would feel like a severe slap to the face.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Then don’t chase status.  I don’t. Sail each cruise for the joy of sailing on the cabin that pleases you (or your budget).  Know that you sucked full value from each and every voyage while you were on the ship.  Thus, later whatever C&A perks you receive are truly extra gifts received when you naturally reach that status.

Except that it appears RCI is going to yank benefits when too many people hit levels.  Waving a perk chart at you to show what you can get for being loyal then cutting them when enough people hit the milestone makes me question if it is a bona-fide loyalty program or just a marketing ploy.

• Haha 1