NCLH laying off 9% of it's shoreside workforce

shepherd really

6 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Interested in how this may effect or trickle down to Oceania.   

And what a truly awful time of the year to do it.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-laying-off-9-of-shoreside-workforce/   

More detailed article, at least in terms of naming the senior executives fired:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/finance/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-cuts-shoreside-workforce-9

• Like 2

I wonder how much hit the miraculous IT department took!! 🥴

Until the bottom lines improve, I doubt much on the expense side will be added. Probably includes a delayed refit of a certain O ship. Revenues, not expenses are going to be the name of the game for at least the short to mid term. $1.4Bn of debt speaks loudly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I wonder how much hit the miraculous IT department took!! 🥴

Until the bottom lines improve, I doubt much on the expense side will be added. Probably includes a delayed refit of a certain O ship. Revenues, not expenses are going to be the name of the game for at least the short to mid term. $1.4Bn of debt speaks loudly.

and servicing that debt while interest rates are rising makes the situation even worse. I think the Marina refit cancellation was a foreshadowing of these cuts.  Expect more to come and expect "supply chain" excuses to continue.  At least they are about to clear the last of those pesky future cruise credits expiring in a couple of weeks off the books.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Trimming 10% on shore personnel should not be much of a problem.

Just by doing online pre boarding can reduce personnel  at the check in process at ports a lot.

Most of those folks are an outside agency and not really employees of the Cruise line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

On Marina now, I'll bet 75% of us on the sold out cruise are here solely to use up the credits we all had. It's the only reason I took this cruise. I hope we are all  helping  the Oceania bottom line.

and the next cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Trimming 10% on shore personnel should not be much of a problem.

Just by doing online pre boarding can reduce personnel  at the check in process at ports a lot.

Many of these folks work in the back offices and a number of executives were given the old heave ho as well.  Interestingly Carlos Ortega survived this round of cuts.  His spelling and grammar skills are probably what saved him. 😁

• Haha 4

If they’re paying inside sales, and then having to double pay for those folks that then roll over to a TA, don’t be surprised to see inside sales cut. Bring in an outside Agency to work the inside sales. Once you booked with them, you’re bound to that Agency. O/NCL only pays once. That Agency decides what, if any rebates they give. 

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Many of these folks work in the back offices and a number of executives were given the old heave ho as well.  Interestingly Carlos Ortega survived this round of cuts.  His spelling and grammar skills are probably what saved him. 😁

Actually, he was on the list. But hey misspelled his name, so he's gets to stick around. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, shepherd really said:

FYI he does not write them..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jancruz said:

FYI he does not write them..

Jancruz1

If I put my name on a work product (back before I retired) that went out to anyone, I made sure it was free of errors.  So whether he writes them or not, sloppy errors reflect poorly on both him and his employer. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, ORV said:

Most of those folks are an outside agency and not really employees of the Cruise line. 

Actaully, I think many of the port people work for NCL.  The new terminal B in Miami is a huge operation and I suspect NCL employees.

Really, 300 people is not many in a big corporation.

43 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Actaully, I think many of the port people work for NCL.  The new terminal B in Miami is a huge operation and I suspect NCL employees.

Really, 300 people is not many in a big corporation.

I'll have to take your word for it on NCL, as I've never been on that cruise line. My only experience is with Oceania and Celebrity, and an occasional RCCL cruise. They all hire third party companies. It might appear they're cruise line employees, but most of them are not. There are usually a few of the cruise line employees there though. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

He gave his son a very special present this year.

One has to wonder if Oceania’s prior President to Howard didn’t see the handwriting on the wall and opted to bail out on his terms instead of FDR’s.

He was popular and appeared to do a good job, but the storm clouds of nepotism can be seen from afar. It was/is apparent that FDR has no intention of retiring any time soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I'll have to take your word for it on NCL, as I've never been on that cruise line. My only experience is with Oceania and Celebrity, and an occasional RCCL cruise. They all hire third party companies. It might appear they're cruise line employees, but most of them are not. There are usually a few of the cruise line employees there though. 

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCHL) is the parent company of NCL and Oceania and Regent.

All I am saying is that  NCHL has 3500 employees and are getting rid of 10% and that is not a big deal to lose.

As for Terminal B in Miami, the new NCL terminal, we are on Oceania Rivieria on 4 Jan and leaving from that terminal.

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

we are on Oceania Rivieria on 4 Jan and leaving from that terminal.

Really?  I thought Oceania and RSSC both use terminal J and Riviera is the only ship from any NCLH line embarking in Miami on the 4th.

You may want to double check that.

25 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCHL) is the parent company of NCL and Oceania and Regent.

All I am saying is that  NCHL has 3500 employees and are getting rid of 10% and that is not a big deal to lose.

As for Terminal B in Miami, the new NCL terminal, we are on Oceania Rivieria on 4 Jan and leaving from that terminal.

WOW, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Really?  I thought Oceania and RSSC both use terminal J and Riviera is the only ship from any NCLH line embarking in Miami on the 4th.

You may want to double check that.

On my boarding pass:

1751 N CRUISE BLVD
MIAMI, FL, UNITED STATES
Terminal Arrival Time: 12:30
Date: JAN 4, 2023
Port:
Terminal: PORT MIAMI - TERMINAL B
MIAMI, FLORIDA

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

Not looking to add fuel to any fires here but I had to share a thought. We all have knowledge, experiences, suppositions and opinions etc., that we so aptly share. Sometimes we are on base and sometimes we are off base but when it comes to Oceania and FACTS, Jan is in a league of her own. That much I know for sure. 
With this, I will “Drop the mic” 

And on to another subject. 🤪👍🛳️😇

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes and the contracting out of services, especially offshore can result in miserably poor customer service. Last week I spoke with a Celebrity Air agent (call center contracted out to Mexico) who asked me what country Tel Aviv was in. I gave up and hung up the phone

• Haha 3