If we buy the NCL Drink package, do you have to pay any extra tax or tips for each drink you order? NCL Sun info.

gam888

Considering booking NCL Sun "Free At Sea" promotion, which includes wifi, shore excursion credit, 1 specialty dinner and "Open Bar".

I read awhile ago before the Pandemic that you might have to pay either a tax, or extra gratuities on every drink you order, even you have purchased your drink package. Is it true? I asked the NCL agent on the phone and he said that is not the case. So, for the folks who have purchased the "Free At Sea" promo, is there any hidden cost/extra charge  every time you order a drink? Also, we enjoy some ballroom dancing in the evening, is there any opportunity to do some ballroom dancing on NCL Sun? What is the live music venue like, I know it depends on what band happens to be on the ship, but wonder if they mainly play high energy music, or do they play an assortment or different genre of music? Thank you in advance.

For the Free At Sea package, you will pay the gratuities at the time of purchase.  It covers drinks up to $15.  If the drink you order is above that amount, then you would pay the difference plus 20% of that difference.  For example if the drink cost $16, then you would pay $1.20. Also, if you are in port you may have to pay taxes on the drinks you get while in port.

• Like 1

Yes, pay tax if you are in port/waters of jurisdiction of states/municipalities that charge such a thing.  Once out in open water, no.

Yes, pay for increment of drink, special alcohol if pierce the $15/drink limit.  You then pay the difference, plus the 20% automatic gratuity.

Thanks for your replies. So let say if I am ordering some drinks when we are in port, how would I know if that particular port will incur a tax on for the drinks I order? Would I have to ask the bar staff before I place the order? I would imagine they will not inform each guest that they are about to pay extra tax for the drinks they order when the ship is docked at that particular port, unless you ask?

17 minutes ago, gam888 said:

So let say if I am ordering some drinks when we are in port, how would I know if that particular port will incur a tax on for the drinks I order?

I just assume that there will be some small tax charge.  They never add up to anything meaningful, and I do take advantage of the package.

19 minutes ago, gam888 said:

Thanks for your replies. So let say if I am ordering some drinks when we are in port, how would I know if that particular port will incur a tax on for the drinks I order? Would I have to ask the bar staff before I place the order? I would imagine they will not inform each guest that they are about to pay extra tax for the drinks they order when the ship is docked at that particular port, unless you ask?

At least in my experiences, there are signs at the bars and the bartenders remind people about the tax.  Depending on the jurisdiction, it's in the 8 percent range or so.  If that cost (~$1.00 to $1.20 per drink) is prohibitive, make sure you ask the bartenders first if you are not sure.

Is there a location where the ports are listed? What about the Caribbean is there a list for there as well?

Ya isn't much money but its good to know so when looking at the bill you know if they accurately put things on your stateroom.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jerseygich said:

On our recent cruise at end of December the bartenders were informing passengers that there was a tax since in port and if still wanted the drink. First time ever experienced that

NCL charges these taxes until the ship is outside of state waters.  The sales tax is a State Tax (not federal).  It ends after "x" miles. 

NCL has been charging these taxes for quite some time (for certain Pre-Covid)!  Some cruise lines don't post your beverage purchases until their ship is outside the state limits.  Perhaps that is why you don't remember ever paying it before.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:28 PM, gam888 said:

Considering booking NCL Sun "Free At Sea" promotion, which includes wifi, shore excursion credit, 1 specialty dinner and "Open Bar".

I read awhile ago before the Pandemic that you might have to pay either a tax, or extra gratuities on every drink you order, even you have purchased your drink package. Is it true? I asked the NCL agent on the phone and he said that is not the case. So, for the folks who have purchased the "Free At Sea" promo, is there any hidden cost/extra charge  every time you order a drink? Also, we enjoy some ballroom dancing in the evening, is there any opportunity to do some ballroom dancing on NCL Sun? What is the live music venue like, I know it depends on what band happens to be on the ship, but wonder if they mainly play high energy music, or do they play an assortment or different genre of music? Thank you in advance.

please check, you have to pay for the gratuities, its rather high cost$$$$

26 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

It's on the invoice when you book.  18 or 20% (whatever the going rate is now) of the daily price for the drink package x the number of days of the cruise.  Under $20 per day roughly.

Yes I know. It's now $21 per day. I would like them to explain the high cost? That's 2 drinks a day at current prices.

To many misleading post lately!