Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

19 hours ago, Mcobean said:

Halfway to Hawaii

https://www.viking23.com/2023/01/13/halfway-to-hawaii/

Cheers

Daryl

Daryl,

Love the wildlife pics!  Using your phone or a DSLR?

The red-footed booby pic near the bottom left is particularly good.  Were you shooting through the glass screen at the rec deck? (As it seemed like there are some funny artifacts in some of the pics when enlarged.  But that may just be my glasses. LOL)

Thanks,

Jerry

4 hours ago, rockjock75 said:

Has there been a suggested time and place for board gamers to meet?

We schlepped the Mexican Train domino set so we'd love to have an evening with that.

Also for the talent show, I'm up for forming a band and doing a song or two if they allow.

• Like 1

I need help from an blogger.com "expert" (which I am not one). I am trying to allow custom readers to add comments, but they seem to be having problems. Is there anyone onboard who could look at my settings to see what I am doing wrong?  Also, is there a way, without using a third party script or plug-in, to allow the readers to be notified when a new post is posted?

45 minutes ago, rockjock75 said:

I need help from an blogger.com "expert" (which I am not one). I am trying to allow custom readers to add comments, but they seem to be having problems. Is there anyone onboard who could look at my settings to see what I am doing wrong?  Also, is there a way, without using a third party script or plug-in, to allow the readers to be notified when a new post is posted?

I'm no expert, but the blog should allow for an RSS feed which is what is used to notify subscribers. We think we set one up, but haven't heard a confirmation from our followers.

Just now, MarkTapley said:

Daryl,

Love the wildlife pics!  Using your phone or a DSLR?

The red-footed booby pic near the bottom left is particularly good.  Were you shooting through the glass screen at the rec deck? (As it seemed like there are some funny artifacts in some of the pics when enlarged.  But that may just be my glasses. LOL)

Thanks,

Jerry

Hello, I am using the Sony RX10 MIV. Great camera for my use. I have seen a few on the ship.

That picture was through the glass in explorers as they had the deck closed at that time.

cheers

Daryl

20 hours ago, rockjock75 said:

Did you solve it? We could meet and I could take a look if you like. We are in 6007.

1 hour ago, mstadleraz said:

Does anyone know if Kilauea will be on Starboard or Port side of ship?

Based on the position of the ship showing on Marine Traffic, the volcano is almost dead ahead. Only the Bridge Team knows the voyage plan, as the ship can go either way around Hawaii.

Just now, BobCatter said:

Compared to other Viking Ocean ships, is the internet connection any better on the Neptune? It was supposed to have gotten some new tech.

Bob,

from what I was told by one of the ships officers the Neptune is using starling on board. When I do a Speedtest on it it does show our connection to Starlink. Speeds do vary depending on how many guests are using the system. I have seen connection speeds as high as 175 meg but usually around 50-75. Compared to my other five Viking ocean I would definitely say it is better. They are using it to show the football games this weekend. Hope this helps.

rick

8901A7BC-ACDE-4168-B478-DB2017171A9B.thumb.png.cc552c7b47880ad2b804cf79d8f83388.png

Edited by buddrus

44 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Compared to other Viking Ocean ships, is the internet connection any better on the Neptune? It was supposed to have gotten some new tech.

Pax have reported they installed the Starlink system, but they still have poor coverage in coastal regions and almost nothing deep sea. Therefore, since departure, most of the time they have relied on the older geostationary Inmarsat satellites.

Hopefully by next year, Starlink will have better coverage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

I find it quite slow.

Interesting. . .  on that social media site that starts with "F",  the Neptune's wifi with Starlink was described by several people as quite  outstanding and 1000x faster than their other Viking ships experiences (during their FLL-LA cruise).  Several commented on that.  One even said it was faster than they got at home.

So maybe it has to do with either the exact location of the ship or the expectations people have.  (What they are comparing it to).

For those of us who just got off the Star Panama cruise, wifi was easily the absolute  worst I'd ever seen on 12 Viking cruises.  Basically non-existent unless you used it from 11:00 PM to 6:30 AM.  You could almost set your watch in the morning by when the wifi went to nothing, as people got up, logged on, streamed, did facetimes, etc.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

IBasically non-existent unless you used it from 11:00 PM to 6:30 AM.  You could almost set your watch in the morning by when the wifi went to nothing, as people got up, logged on, streamed, did facetimes, etc.

Similar experience we think.  We are docked in Honolulu at the moment and I ran a speedtest, 7:00AM local time.  Takes a good minute for the F and CC boards to load, and uploading pictures for the blog is interminable.  But hey, that's just a minor thing, considering everything else we're doing.  World Cruise!!

Screenshot 2023-01-16 065831.png