Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

8 minutes ago, Mcobean said:

For DV class it is 2 per stateroom at a time. But you can swap around to different devices 

cheers

daryl

On our WC and all others it was also 2 per stateroom at a time, and we were in PV1.  I don’t think the cabin level makes a difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Was there on a prior HAL cruise.  Will never get off there again.

I checked on the State Dept website today.  For many good reasons, US citizens are strongly advised against travel to Nicaragua, including instances of detention of foreign citizens as well as other valid reasons.  Not going till next year but doubt things will change that much by then....we shall see!  Thanks to all who provided responses to my question.

Reading a number of the blogs from the current World Cruise, I noted some of the activities are not the norm on Viking, with some of them being regular activities on mega ships. So far, I have read about a boat building competition to carry beer across the pool, building a snowman and then the "Marriage Game"

On the 2020 WC, when the MMT commenced, upon departure Bali, we had some talk about introducing new activities. The only one than got the Cruise Director's approval was "Liars Club". When someone mentioned they had participated in the marriage game on another cruise line, the answer was most definitely "NO" - not happening. Hence the reason I was surprised to read about it being scheduled on this cruise.

Can't remember where the Cruise Director is from, but recall hearing he might be new to Viking, so I am interested to hear from the regular World Cruisers if the entertainment/activities is consistent with previous world cruises, or is Viking introducing more mega ship type activities?

Lack of tacky pool games and marriage shows was always one of the positives for selecting Viking, so looking to hear from those aboard how it is working.

• Like 17

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Reading a number of the blogs from the current World Cruise, I noted some of the activities are not the norm on Viking, with some of them being regular activities on mega ships. So far, I have read about a boat building competition to carry beer across the pool, building a snowman and then the "Marriage Game"

On the 2020 WC, when the MMT commenced, upon departure Bali, we had some talk about introducing new activities. The only one than got the Cruise Director's approval was "Liars Club". When someone mentioned they had participated in the marriage game on another cruise line, the answer was most definitely "NO" - not happening. Hence the reason I was surprised to read about it being scheduled on this cruise.

Can't remember where the Cruise Director is from, but recall hearing he might be new to Viking, so I am interested to hear from the regular World Cruisers if the entertainment/activities is consistent with previous world cruises, or is Viking introducing more mega ship type activities?

Lack of tacky pool games and marriage shows was always one of the positives for selecting Viking, so looking to hear from those aboard how it is working.

We currently have four cruises booked.  This makes me very unhappy.  I hope Tor is listening.  He used to say that his clientele was him.  This not so much!

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

UGH.  NO.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Andy, I'll confess my ignorance regarding the "Marriage Game" and snowman (assuming that is other than the obvious), but I'll take your word that I wouldn't enjoy either.

You sparked a memory however regarding the boat building. We've seen that twice on HAL (on the long-gone small ships), both times on long hauls, and it was actually quite classy and entertaining. The boats had to be built using a restricted set of materials generally available on the ship. They were floated out only once, near the end of the cruise and yes, beer and soda was the 'cargo'. Usually only 5 or 6 entries, as participating was a serious commitment. Most of the judging was on appearance, as long as the vessel stayed upright!

The daughter of the couple at an adjacent table was deeply engaged in her construction. She used wine corks as the fundamentals of her flotation. We naturally felt the moral obligation to assist her with as much supply as possible 🍷. Good humanitarian instincts, but hard on the liver ...

I suspect the activity you're referring to is not quite so genteel on the floating worlds ... 🍺🥌

• Like 4

On 1/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, chefestelle said:

Maybe they'll make lamington cakes...

Lamingtons - oh, we should be so lucky.  Exactly how do you think we should describe lamingtons to someone who has never experienced them?????  It's worth a try though - effort/reward.

10 hours ago, KaySuth said:

Lamingtons - oh, we should be so lucky.  Exactly how do you think we should describe lamingtons to someone who has never experienced them?????  It's worth a try though - effort/reward.

Yes, you're right. Even now to someone who could assess the description, I struggle to think how. Maybe a picture on your cell phone. And a recipe!

I think I read that Bruce is the CD on Neptune's WC.  We were lucky enough to have him as part of a long journey aboard the Jupiter last winter ( we had 3 CD's in the 6 weeks were aboard).  It was Bruce's first contract with Viking and was brief because he was helping fill a void our CD Katy (from Scotland)  was being transferred  to finish her contract on the WC that was underway.  He had been on HAL if I remember correctly and had done multiple WCs with them.  He lives in California and is originally from Michigan.  He is approachable and wonderful gentleman to chat with....BUT wait until you hear him play the piano....AMAZING and he also put together some fun shows using the onboard talent!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sure hope this is not what to expect on future Viking cruises!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Andy, I'll confess my ignorance regarding the "Marriage Game" and snowman (assuming that is other than the obvious), but I'll take your word that I wouldn't enjoy either.

You sparked a memory however regarding the boat building. We've seen that twice on HAL (on the long-gone small ships), both times on long hauls, and it was actually quite classy and entertaining. The boats had to be built using a restricted set of materials generally available on the ship. They were floated out only once, near the end of the cruise and yes, beer and soda was the 'cargo'. Usually only 5 or 6 entries, as participating was a serious commitment. Most of the judging was on appearance, as long as the vessel stayed upright!

The daughter of the couple at an adjacent table was deeply engaged in her construction. She used wine corks as the fundamentals of her flotation. We naturally felt the moral obligation to assist her with as much supply as possible 🍷. Good humanitarian instincts, but hard on the liver ...

I suspect the activity you're referring to is not quite so genteel on the floating worlds ... 🍺🥌

Rob,

I've also participated in the boat building on a number of our cruises with Princess. When I read about this one my thoughts were that's a new one for Viking, but didn't think too much of it. As you noted it can actually be entertaining, although it does take away the pool for those wanting quiet time.

On reading about the snowman building, my thoughts were it is an interesting craft project, not something of interest to me, but will definitely interest others.

The "Marriage Game" normally includes 3 passenger couples, with different years of marriage. The gents are initially led away to a room off the stage and the ladies are asked 3 questions about their husband. When the gents return, they are read the same questions and have to state how their wife answered each question. Then the ladies are led away and the same process is repeated.

Everything is based on the type of questions asked and on all cruises we have taken the questions were not consistent with a "Classy" show.

To put it into perspective, when we departed Bali on the MMT, with about 250 pax, as I noted on my previous post, the Cruise Director was looking for new options for entertainment, as we couldn't get guest entertainers aboard. Of all the activities from the mega ships, Liars Club was the only one he would accept and initially it had to be officers and crew on the stage. It took extensive lobbying to have a repeat show with pax on stage.

The boat and snowman building on their own didn't raise any flags, but all 3 on a single trans-canal, in my opinion, is a quantum shift for Viking. Hopefully it is just this particular Cruise Director, who I believe came from HAL, one of the Carnival brands.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The boat and snowman wouldn’t bother me, they add some fun for those on multiple sea days, and seem to be popular on some of the blogs I’ve read. I may not partake (too many other options) but I’d watch other’s constructions.  I think let’s see what people say who are onboard. I do read quite a few reviews now that ‘Viking don’t offer enough on sea days’, so maybe they are trying some new options.  

Marriage Game, not heard of this, but sounds like the old ‘Mr & Mrs’ TV when I was a kid, in the 70s. It was fun back then.  But it depends on the questions. I would hope Viking would be careful on those… to avoid it becoming ‘tacky/trashy’. 

Liar’s club, that sounded great fun from previous year’s blogs

• Like 1

if people want more "games" offered IMO let them be indoors and use Torshaven  or Star Theatre or even upstairs of Explorer's for those that choose to enjoy them....like Trivia or Name that Tune are done now.  Obviously boat building would not fit that category.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We currently have four cruises booked.  This makes me very unhappy.  I hope Tor is listening.  He used to say that his clientele was him.  This not so much!

Likewise - I am quite surprised at this "sudden" change in policy.  Perhaps it is the "new" Cruise Director bringing their past experiences to Viking from the Mega Ships.   We also have several cruises scheduled.  If Viking were to make this a permanent policy, we would like bow out.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Likewise - I am quite surprised at this "sudden" change in policy.  Perhaps it is the "new" Cruise Director bringing their past experiences to Viking from the Mega Ships.   We also have several cruises scheduled.  If Viking were to make this a permanent policy, we would like bow out.

Agree...If I want a Mega ship entertainment/games I will book one. Please Viking do not change your culture!

• Like 7

Well, I have just read a report showing the snowmen, and they look lovely. The winning one is great 🙂 https://www.checkthisoffourbucketlist.com/post/fullmåne

Not seen anything about the creation of boats

The marriage game questions (saw on another blog) not sure which now.  May have probably watched the first one, but probably no more if it were repeated. Sounds like those there enjoyed it.

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Well, I have just read a report showing the snowmen, and they look lovely. The winning one is great 🙂 https://www.checkthisoffourbucketlist.com/post/fullmåne

Not seen anything about the creation of boats

The marriage game questions (saw on another blog) not sure which now.  May have probably watched the first one, but probably no more if it were repeated. Sounds like those there enjoyed it.

That is a rather excellent blog. Will now follow it.