Carnival Dream - guys burger buns are different

Ryanthe4aces

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I did try Guy's on Mardi Gras cuz I wanted to experience the "new fries" I had seen posted about.  Oddly, I thought the fries were better than the old fries but for the burger I gave it a second chance after the first bite but I was two and done.  I hate to waste food!

Me too!  On MG, I was with my mom so I had the Guy's server slice the burger in half.  It was the perfect lunch for us👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I did try Guy's on Mardi Gras cuz I wanted to experience the "new fries" I had seen posted about.  Oddly, I thought the fries were better than the old fries but for the burger I gave it a second chance after the first bite but I was two and done.  I hate to waste food!

What dates are your two Mardi Gras sailings? We'll be onboard 2/25.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

No, I'm just not willing to pay 2019 prices for Carnival's current product. As long as they keep giving me good deals I'll keep cruising them. But I cruise them for the same reason I shop at Dollar General - convenient and cheap.

Even Dollar General has raised prices.

9 hours ago, canes20 said:

We always had a round bacon disk, almost the size of the burger patty in diameter.

8 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

There's a burger with the bacon ring as posted above. The other bacon was on the toppings bar in like chunks or bits n pieces. I don't recall ever having strips of bacon through Guy's.

Okay, thank you both. I remember now that they were out of bacon besides what was left sitting on the edges of the griddle and I think we did see some bacon on the toppings bar. Either way, it left no appeal to eat there again. And this was several years ago, before the reported bacon crisis 😄

For my cruise on the Panorama in November the buns were falling apart, flaking off quite a bit. Never had that issue before this cruise. Kind of hard to eat when the bun is disintegrating.

Edited by n6uqqq

26 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

For my cruise on the Panorama in November the buns were falling apart, flaking off quite a bit. Never had that issue before this cruise. Kind of hard to eat when the bun is disintegrating.

Did you report it to Guest Services?  😁 🏴‍☠️

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It was the opposite situation on Conquest (Christmas '21) , the buns were quite small (note the size of the bun next to the fork)!

i-Rq9BQms-L.jpg

i-28nnM4Z-L.jpg

On the Liberty last week/weekend I ate there 3 days in a row. I enjoyed the burgers, though would have preferred a MDE from Big Chicken!

Tom

looks like the burger is on an english muffin

This applies to some of my comments in the Emeril becoming "Chief Culinary Officer," this stuff is all gimmick.

The celebrity chef's team basically make out an initial menu, run it out, weights, costs, taste tests and so on...this is ALL done by a staff in a lab kitchen. Then it is tested by the celebrity chef who then gives their approval, disapproval or edits.

Same for decor. The celebrity's team creates the look and feel, then awaits approval from both chef and carnival.

It's the same with all restaurant groups and Emeril and Guy are restaurant groups.

But once it really gets rolling, they always start looking for ways to save a dime. Little here, little there.

There are thousands of stories about how a restaurant or chain saved "millions" or even thousands of dollars on tiny things like one less pickle on your burger or one less tomato on your side salad. It's all math, then food.

This is why the food changes. The name on the sign has nothing to do with it

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

This applies to some of my comments in the Emeril becoming "Chief Culinary Officer," this stuff is all gimmick.

The celebrity chef's team basically make out an initial menu, run it out, weights, costs, taste tests and so on...this is ALL done by a staff in a lab kitchen. Then it is tested by the celebrity chef who then gives their approval, disapproval or edits.

Same for decor. The celebrity's team creates the look and feel, then awaits approval from both chef and carnival.

It's the same with all restaurant groups and Emeril and Guy are restaurant groups.

But once it really gets rolling, they always start looking for ways to save a dime. Little here, little there.

There are thousands of stories about how a restaurant or chain saved "millions" or even thousands of dollars on tiny things like one less pickle on your burger or one less tomato on your side salad. It's all math, then food.

This is why the food changes. The name on the sign has nothing to do with it

Yeah it's just a Personal Services Agreement between Carnival and Emeril. Sort of like how athletes will have deals with a shoe brand or a musician will endorse a particular brand of guitar. It's all marketing, it's not going to have any bearing on Carnival's food.

Just now, mz-s said:

Yeah it's just a Personal Services Agreement between Carnival and Emeril. Sort of like how athletes will have deals with a shoe brand or a musician will endorse a particular brand of guitar. It's all marketing, it's not going to have any bearing on Carnival's food.

Agreed

Guy or Emeril is not giving back their millions + residuals because they changed the bun or give you one less pickle on your burger.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Of course it is marketing and it definitely will have an impact on Carnival's food. It's been a while since the last major revamp of Carnival menus.

3 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Which comes first, a supplier raises costs or Carnival tries to manage them?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Which comes first, a supplier raises costs or Carnival tries to manage them?

My guess is their contract likely states something close to "Carnival may make minor changes to menu ingredient items based on cost, availability, act of God, etc...."

So over time, they change.

BTW, those burgers above, Ecstasy and Celebration, I call tell by looking those buns are not the same. Celebration's are glazed or egg washed while the other is not, so it has a flat dry look. 

10 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

My guess is their contract likely states something close to "Carnival may make minor changes to menu ingredient items based on cost, availability, act of God, etc...."

So over time, they change.

BTW, those burgers above, Ecstasy and Celebration, I call tell by looking those buns are not the same. Celebration's are glazed or egg washed while the other is not, so it has a flat dry look. 

The contract mentions food twice. That the fare covers "ordinary ship's food" during the voyage and a section that discusses what can't be brought back into the US. Things like ingredients and quality aren't mentioned at all. A lot of things affect this, including steps taken to control costs, but I see a lot of empty spots for common items in my local grocery store so until I stop seeing that I will continue to chalk most of these changes up to supply chain issues.

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The contract mentions food twice. That the fare covers "ordinary ship's food" during the voyage and a section that discusses what can't be brought back into the US. Things like ingredients and quality aren't mentioned at all. A lot of things affect this, including steps taken to control costs, but I see a lot of empty spots for common items in my local grocery store so until I stop seeing that I will continue to chalk most of these changes up to supply chain issues.

It is supply chain issues, but is it by choice or force majeure?

Maybe little of both?

8 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

It is supply chain issues, but is it by choice or force majeure?

Maybe little of both?

It very well could be both, but people act like the cruise lines are immune to supply chain shortages and they certainly aren't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It very well could be both, but people act like the cruise lines are immune to supply chain shortages and they certainly aren't. 

Supply issues are a huge problem throughout many if not every industry.

Not only has the food costs risen, but the quality of available products has lessened. Meat and poultry both are having size and quality assurance issues since Covid began.