Does Royal offer a transfer from Civitavecchia Port to downtown Rome?

LB_NJ

10 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Royal is currently showing a transfer to downtown however they combine it with a set of tours.  We are just looking for a transfer to downtown.

A few years ago, they offered bus service to/from the Vatican.  Check the cruise planner under excursions.

No...we didn't see it this year.

There are a couple of ways to get from Civitavecchia to Rome.

* By private car or service.

* By train...DIY using Trenitalia or the train specifically designed for cruise passengers. It takes about an hour.

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Royal is currently showing a transfer to downtown however they combine it with a set of tours.  We are just looking for a transfer to downtown.

Check out Bob's Limo Rome. We have used them several times. About $80 for two with luggage in a shared ride. Terminal to Downton Hotel. 

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Do you mean during a port stop or end of cruise?

If port stop the bus transfer on our Symphony cruise details is below,  gives five hours free time in Rome.

There's also a train transfer with shuttle to Civataveccia Station for about £20 more than the bus . Weve done the bus a couple of times and the guide gives lots of info out on outbound trip

Screenshot_20221229-221931_Royal.thumb.jpg.3ed8b6b779c38359e63de77cb04a63df.jpg

Edited by sgmn

They do a Rome transfer which is probably around $30 a person. 

However a better option is to take a bus from the cruise terminal to the station than the train to Rome. Train to Rome

only takes around an hour and costs 6 Euros (I think that’s the new price next year, it was even cheaper when we did it in October). We used a transfer company on a previous cruise but couldn’t believe how easy and cheap the train was on our latest cruise.

Edited by alistairg

1 hour ago, alistairg said:

They do a Rome transfer which is probably around $30 a person. 

However a better option is to take a bus from the cruise terminal to the station than the train to Rome. Train to Rome

only takes around an hour and costs 6 Euros (I think that’s the new price next year, it was even cheaper when we did it in October). We used a transfer company on a previous cruise but couldn’t believe how easy and cheap the train was on our latest cruise.

The transfer to Rome was close to $70pp this summer and it only dropped you at Ostiense station; so you still have to catch the train or cab to the centre.

Take the shuttle bus €3 to Civitavecchia train station then catch the train to Termini for less than €10pp ( and this  same train stops at Ostiense where those who paid $70 will board …🤦‍♀️!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, little britain said:

The transfer to Rome was close to $70pp this summer and it only dropped you at Ostiense station; so you still have to catch the train or cab to the centre.

Thanks. I couldn’t find the price of the transfer. $70 is crazy compared to the train.

I was amazed how cheap trains were in Italy. We also took the train to and from the airport which was very fast and cheap. When we came home we were able to go from Civitavecchia to Rome Fiumicino with one change of train.

Careful.  The train station at Civitavecchia does not have working elevators!!!!  Seems not a priority in Italy and anything for handicapped also.    Trains work great. But I do recall each time we have either cruised out of Civitavecchia or arrived back at Civitavecchia and made our way to the train (a bit of a walk) unless now there is a bus (hmm) to it from the pier, walk is about a mile on good sidewalk but watch out for the fact that you have to lug your suitcases up and down those stairs about 14 steps.  We always do it ourselves but just a caution.  Trains in Italy cheap.

• Like 1

Agree with Little Britain and Pink845.

We've traveled by train from Civitavecchia to Rome (and back)many times. 

* If you can handle your 2 carry-ons and 1 suitcase...then it's "worth" a try.

* From the ship, do as Little Britain suggested and take the €3 shuttle that will take you directly to the train station in Civitavecchia. Note: There is a free shuttle to town...but you'll still have to walk to the train station. I would pay the €3.

* Pink845 is correct...you will have to go down the stairs (below the train tracks), then up another set of stairs to get to your platform. Then you'll have to carry your carry-ons and suitcase onto the train.

* I'm not sure where your hotel is located...if it's near one of the train stations, then you'll be fine,...just walk. But if your hotel is far...then this could be a problem.

I am extremely comfortable traveling by train in Europe (I backpacked all over Europe almost 40 years ago)...and would always choose the train...BUT, if it's your first time to Rome, or you have some disability...I would not recommend it.

Civitavecchia train station

20220516_041554.thumb.jpg.e5e653ec2c8064905db913af1499c6db.jpg

3€ shuttle bus

20220516_041650.thumb.jpg.86821e6fd69f73c81d75864834f3b188.jpg

Stairs

20220516_041100.thumb.jpg.8d1121bec7a00cd1f536587bc6037bf3.jpg

Inside train station

20220516_041453.thumb.jpg.a00fcb84997a7c33f6ff8218f873e24f.jpg

Train tracks1

20220516_041140.thumb.jpg.e9092b945d7f7d4a0fbb1ed6e474ecb0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 9:38 AM, little britain said:

And don’t forget to validate (punch) your train ticket in the little yellow box in the wall otherwise you’ll be fined! 

Not always true, depends on how you booked your ticket.