Question about carryon wine.

5 minutes ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

I’ve always brought screw tops onboard, but my favorite wine is corked. Can I bring a corkscrew in my luggage/carryon? Didn’t know if it’d get confiscated. 

I always fly and cruise with a travel corkscrew (see picture) in my carry-on and have not had it confiscated by TSA over hundreds of flights or by security on an untold number of cruises on at least 5 different cruise lines.  What isn't allowed though is a corkscrew with an attached knife (to cut the seal over the cork).

TSA rule:

Corkscrews (with no blade)

Carry On Bags: Yes

RC rule: 

Prohibited items:

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors.

84eb6c14-fe0c-404f-85fa-d03f8a636c63_1.61c2862d770e7554fda8ef34606080ee.jpeg

Believe it or not...it's the tiny knife in a "waiter's key" style corkscrew.  

I have taken the knife out of one that I keep in my carry on bag....and of course it gets spotted by TSA when I am going through security at the airport.  I let them look at it...they say it can't be taken on board, and I innocently ask why.  "It's the knife!"....."What knife"?    Oh...here you go.  

Though every cork screw has that metal "screw" on it, which IMHO...is worse.  But they let you on with that.  Go figure. 

2 hours ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

I’ve always brought screw tops onboard, but my favorite wine is corked. Can I bring a corkscrew in my luggage/carryon? Didn’t know if it’d get confiscated. 

I always carry a corkscrew that has a 1.25" foil cutter on it in our first aid kit that is always in our checked luggage. Never ever a problem.  Based on all my experiences I would recommend you put the corkscrew in your checked luggage. 

8 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I always fly and cruise with a travel corkscrew (see picture) in my carry-on and have not had it confiscated by TSA over hundreds of flights or by security on an untold number of cruises on at least 5 different cruise lines.  What isn't allowed though is a corkscrew with an attached knife (to cut the seal over the cork).

We have one just like this that we got from our room steward many years ago.  I keep it in my backpack and have, knock wood, no issues with TSA or Royal/Celebrity Security. 

24 minutes ago, Den7Cruiser said:

Thanks for the info...another question on wine.  Can you just bring the bottle with you to dinner the first night?

We find it easier to simply walk in with a glass of wine in hand.  Especially nice if you have to wait in line to be seated.  😉 

Though now that we do traditional dining (since IMHO MTD is a total fail now)....and we have our vouchers....we don't tend to do that any longer.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Den7Cruiser said:

Thanks for the info...another question on wine.  Can you just bring the bottle with you to dinner the first night?

Yes. Technically they can charge you a corkage fee but I don’t think it happens very often.  With the vouchers and the free wine delivered to our stateroom as D+ we don’t bring wine onboard anymore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Yes. Technically they can charge you a corkage fee but I don’t think it happens very often.  With the vouchers and the free wine delivered to our stateroom as D+ we don’t bring wine onboard anymore. 

I also no longer bring wine on board for seven night cruises.  B2B  7 nights...6 bottles of wine...and several times have taken one off the ship at the end.  

What I dislike is the 6/8 night cruises.   We are still on for our usual two weeks or more, but when it is a "six night" they short us the wine.   Instead of 3 bottles we get just one on a six night...would be nice if it was at least two...but that's how they save money.  Among a few other events they don't have on a six night. 😕

Soooo for Jewel 6/8, I am back to bringing on one bottle of wine.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Me too.  Totally worthless..which is why they can afford to give it to you.  😄 

I keep one in the basement where my home office is as well as where I store my wine.   It keeps  me from having to walk upstairs to get an opener.  I have used it so often that I am use to it and have no problem opening a bottle with it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I keep one in the basement where my home office is as well as where I store my wine.   It keeps  me from having to walk upstairs to get an opener.  I have used it so often that I am use to it and have no problem opening a bottle with it. 

I am with Dave....those things can be dangerous at times.    😮  I cut my hand on one they gave me on the ship when I forgot my waiters key.   I could probably open a bottle of wine in my sleep using those slim waiter's keys.