Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm just saying it isn't the only logical assumption, from my point of view. And if there are many fewer OVC evening diners than MDR diners (as many have suggested), why should the rules bend for the few?

Because the company eliminated the casual dining venue. When the company reduces options; the remaining complimentary options must become more inclusive. There's no other way. 

95% of the restaurants in Palm Beach, many of them as nice or nicer than any cruise ship MDR, all allow resort casual/shorts/boat shoes. They'd go out of business otherwise. 

• Like 4

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I for one would prefer the MDR experience not be further changed. I foresee that if the "rules" change officially to allow shorts, we can shortly also expect tablecloths to be done away with, condiments on the tables and further degradations of the menu. 

I understand, and respect, your preference.

However; I believe you are in the minority. Most people just don't care anymore what others wear.

• Like 3

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

IMO...shorts belong outside the dining room....and if worn inside, they infer a Carnival dining experience.  Why are so many quoting the 'luxury X logo' and feel they're being let down when their offerings that perhaps edge on luxury are being cut back, then they want to go shorts and flipflops in the dining room?  I don't know what this thread is about anymore.

Boat shoes, not flip flops.  Golf shorts, not gym clothes. 

The MDR traditionalists don't get to control the narrative anymore. Celebrity just took that away from them

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Oceania may be under the NCL umbrella but you would never know it booking and onboard.They keep it distinct.  It is unlike an NCL cruise. Their clientele would drop it if the quality went down. The problem would be if NCL goes bankrupt. Whatever cruise folks book on whatever cruise line all should purchase third party insurance. 

With Frank del Rio recently appointing his son to lead Oceania that may change. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Based on my personal observations, I believe the number is probably close to 10-25% of the occupancy. There are evenings when it's hard to find a table in the dinner buffet.

If you eat there often, you are in a better position to know the numbers.  I am surprised that it would be 25% occupied for dinner.  It is close to empty when I go there, but I do not go there often for dinner.  (Only when I am dressed very casual and not very hungry).  A limited menu would not be an issue for me.  A salad and pizza.  
People have a good point about the “casual” wear.  Cruisers need a place to dine in shorts, so perhaps the dress code for the MDR will be modified.

Here is a made up number for you.  99% of the people complaining on this thread have not experienced the change yet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jagoffee said:

Here is a made up number for you.  99% of the people complaining on this thread have not experienced the change yet.

I think you're right :). I will be on Connie next week and will post live. I suspect many others will start reporting changes once they return from this weeks trips. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Most people don’t eat at the Oceanview for dinner. If they do it may be once a sailing. So only a few will be impacted by the cutback. Certainly Celebrity has factored that in. I don’t eat there because the Celebrity buffet food had become pretty bad. It is only good at breakfast. Breakfast is pretty hard to ruin. 

I was on a 10 night sailing last month.  I ate 7 out of 10 nights in OV. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

How do you suggest they reorganize?  ...would like some suggestions how they could rewithbduce their $19-20 billion bank loans and still provide a 'luxury' experience without cut backs or increasing prices - both of which seem to be the topic here and are in direct conflict with each other.

With regard to prices RCCI as a group has reported for the last 3 quarters that  the average onboard prices per passenger are higher than the record figures of 2019. Average onboard spend per passenger is also reported as higher than the record figures of 2019. The number of passengers is still below 2019 levels.

We have cruised on Silhouette 4 times since the restart twice in 2021 and twice in 2022 and noticed no significant reductions in the 3 areas that we usually frequent (Elite breakfast, Al Bacio and the MDR). There were supply issues but not dissimilar to those being experienced in all food outlets in the UK.

So far no one has posted menus from say 2019 against those of 2022 for cruises of the same lengths.

The rest seems to be pure speculation.

14 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I love ocean views at relaxed dinner in the OVC without being 8 inches from the person next to me or being asked to give 10s on a survey. I like ordering a drink and it doesn't take 20 minutes to come. I appreciate that I can have a selection of high quality food / proteins that match my diet of avoiding carbs.  Now it's pizza, salad, and hot dogs. I don't sail any cruise line to eat like that for dinner. Sorry, this is a big disappointment to me, and I can explain it but I can't make you understand it. 

I have a similar perspective.  Over years of cruising, we've done the traditional MDR dining thing where we were assigned to share a table with strangers.  Sometimes it's been a really positive experience and other times well...not so much.   For example:  (a) we've been placed at a table where we were the only non-family members - pretty much left out of all conversation, (b) at a table where the others didn't speak English and we didn't speak their language, and (c) at a table with others who held significantly different socio-political views they were insistent about sharing.  We began asking for a table for two but often found ourselves sitting that dreaded 8 inches (or less) you mention from another table which is tantamount to being at the same table.  So, on our last two cruises, we decided to skip the main dining room entirely and go to the buffet or specialty restaurants for dinner.  Frankly, it's been much more relaxing and private.  And, as others have mentioned, dining outside watching the waves is a great setting (we especially like the Equinox rear deck).  Of course, the choices in the Oceanview Grill can't compare to those in the MDR but we are not "foodies" by any stretch of one's imagination so it hasn't been an issue.  If, however, the options are now going to be reduced dramatically, that's another story.  Not sure what our dining strategy will be.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I understand, and respect, your preference.

However; I believe you are in the minority. Most people just don't care anymore what others wear.

Perhaps you are right, but I also believe that some will still elect the OVC experience, even with diminished food options, especially those who have cited the wish to avoid crowds, those not wishing to spend the amount of time needed for an MDR experience, and those wishing to dine alfresco.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The rest seems to be pure speculation.

Disagree. There are photos posted both here and on other various social media sites showing a drastically reduced dinner buffet. There are multiple cruisers (at least a dozen) reporting the changes since January 1st. There are screen shots of added room service cost and added lobster cost.

It won't be long before videos start to emerge. The change just went into effect January 1st. Maybe this is a one off? Maybe there will be enough backlash that the change will only last a week or two? Anything is possible, but I do believe we have enough evidence to draw the conclusion that changes were made on January 1st (to at least 4 specific ships). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The MDR traditionalists don't get to control the narrative anymore. Celebrity just took that away from them

Logically it doesn't follow that the minority gets to control the majority. However, as I said before we will all have to wait and see how things fall out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps you are right, but I also believe that some will still elect the OVC experience, even with diminished food options, especially those who have cited the wish to avoid crowds, those not wishing to spend the amount of time needed for an MDR experience, and those wishing to dine alfresco.

Could be. Like we both agree, Time will tell.

Here is my personal preference (not that it matters, but just one vote in a sea of people):

When I travel solo I eat 90% of my dinners in the buffet. 

When I travel with girlfriends we eat about 50/50 in the buffet.

When I travel with DH we eat about 90% in MDR and Specialty.

If there is no grill option, or if the OVC is as limited as it appears, I will likely eat 0-5% of my dinners in OVC. For me, it's the fresh grill is a big draw. Without that, it's MDR for me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Logically it doesn't follow that the minority gets to control the majority. However, as I said before we will all have to wait and see how things fall out.

But those who want pants in the MDR are not the majority.

The majority is those that like to wear shorts PLUS all those who don't care if others wear shorts. 

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do believe that IF the dinner  buffet remains as scaled back as it first appears, THEN celebrity will choose to allow shorts in the MDR.

I am of the belief that more people will turn away from Celebrity if the option for shorts is removed than will cancel if they allow shorts in the MDR. Time will tell. 

That's an interesting commentary on the demographic of X cruisers.
IMHO, X is not going to change their dress code.

People have freedom of choice. If they want to dress down in the MDR,  there are other lines that offer that option.

Edited by C-Dragons

34 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Based on my observations I would say a very small number of non staff people have dinner in the OV, but I can understand why those that do use it are not pleased.

We eat dinner there alot!  I do see crew eat there but they do have to eat so it is being used. Many other people eat in OV for dinner especially on dress up nights as lots of us just want to be casual and enjoy the view in OV where the blinds are open and we can see the ocean. 🙂  No I wouldn't leave a cruise line because of 9.95 for room service or for less buffet food but I am thinking of leaving Celebrity for the continuous degrading of service and the feeling of paying alot to cruise and being treated like a cash cow once onboard.  

What really upset me on our trip in Dec was finding out that our room steward and the dining room staff are paid less when they have less customers. They aren't paid more when its full but Celebrity pays them  less if their areas aren't full. That's appalling. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

That's an interesting commentary on the demographic of X cruisers.
IMHO, X is not going to change their dress code.

People have freedom of choice. If they want to dress down, there are other lines that offer that option.

But the same thing can be said for those that want a high quality dinner service in an OV/buffet area, no extra charge room service, no charge for alcoholic drinks, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

IMHO, X is not going to change their dress code

Well, if you would have asked me a week ago, my opinion would have been that X would not decimate the dinner buffet and start charging for room service. But here we are. Where are people who don't pack long pants supposed to eat?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Catknitty said:

We eat dinner there alot!  I do see crew eat there but they do have to eat so it is being used. Many other people eat in OV for dinner especially on dress up nights as lots of us just want to be casual and enjoy the view in OV where the blinds are open and we can see the ocean. 🙂  No I wouldn't leave a cruise line because of 9.95 for room service or for less buffet food but I am thinking of leaving Celebrity for the continuous degrading of service and the feeling of paying alot to cruise and being treated like a cash cow once onboard.  

What really upset me on our trip in Dec was finding out that our room steward and the dining room staff are paid less when they have less customers. They aren't paid more when its full but Celebrity pays them  less if their areas aren't full. That's appalling. 

Is your staff compensation comment related to the gratuity distribution?  Or when some cruisers remove the gratuities?  I am not surprised that some crew members pay is variable.  

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm just saying it isn't the only logical assumption, from my point of view. And if there are many fewer OVC evening diners than MDR diners (as many have suggested), why should the rules bend for the few?

One of the main reasons dinner in the Oceanview was expanded years ago was to have an option for  casual dress like shorts. I am not saying they will bend or change the rules but I believe they should if this huge cutback is real.

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

But those who want pants in the MDR are not the majority.

The majority is those that like to wear shorts PLUS all those who don't care if others wear shorts. 

Can I please see the results of the poll you took on the above.  TIA.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Is your staff compensation comment related to the gratuity distribution?  Or when some cruisers remove the gratuities?  I am not surprised that some crew members pay is variable.  

No, this doesn't have anything to do with tips. This is their pay but of course if a room steward doesn't have as many people staying in their rooms then tips are down too. Our room steward was saying , and it came out inadvertently, he wasn't oversharing, that if you have less customers Celebrity pays you less. We were in a suite and all the suites were full and they were down two butlers so there were only two for all the suites instead of 4 but the butlers didn't get more pay, they just ran their butts off. But some of the inside and veranda cabins had less people and those crew were paid less. It's not their fault and they still work them like crazy finding other stuff for them to do but still less pay. When we mentioned this to one of our dinner crew they said yes and it also applies in the dining room. 

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Can I please see the results of the poll you took on the above.  TIA.

No poll, but I think it's common sense.

If you read enough threads here I believe you will also conclude that the number of people who actually insist EVERYONE wear pants in the MDR is minimal. If you read threads on other social media sites it appears overwhelming that most people just don't care. Here on CC there are some who prefer cruise days gone by, but things they are a'changing. 

But you are correct, no formal evidence so I just might be wrong.

• Like 1