Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Totally discussing and how can anyone continue to dine in the MDR with these changes. I looked at the MDR entrees in the app for our June Equinox cruise and I did not find any pork and beans. However, several nights the fish entrees are Tilapia and Cobia both trash cheap farm raised fish. Also saw roasted turkey and several baked chicken breast dishes and way too much paste. None of these I consider gourmet or fine dining fare. Good thing we will be in Luminae for our meals.

I love cobia if it is properly prepared. 

Talapia is a no for me. 

Edited by DaKahuna

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is a good thing they will back pedal. Some businesses stay the course on bad decisions. So giving them feedback has worked and people who don’t like the changes are doing the right thing letting Celebrity know. Don’t be put off by the canned reply. 

I emailed them about the $10 burgers back when that debacle happened and received a phone call, not a canned reply.   They'll be getting an earful about their current shortsightedness. 

1 hour ago, anniegb said:

HAL aleady do this IME.  Canaletto is found in the Buffet.

Canaletto has been sectioned out of the Buffet forever.  Canaletto did not replace or reduce any of the buffet offerings.  HAL's buffet offerings are world class honestly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Totally discussing and how can anyone continue to dine in the MDR with these changes. I looked at the MDR entrees in the app for our June Equinox cruise and I did not find any pork and beans. However, several nights the fish entrees are Tilapia and Cobia both trash cheap farm raised fish. Also saw roasted turkey and several baked chicken breast dishes and way too much paste. None of these I consider gourmet or fine dining fare. Good thing we will be in Luminae for our meals.

We sail the Equinox in June as well and after reading your post I'm now afraid to go on the app and look at the menus lol

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least in I can purchase Club Orange on HAL

Club Orange is just MDR menu with 1 additional entree.  Depending on the ship, the space is kind of odd/off-putting.  Food alone isn't a reason to take Club Orange.  Even the HAL devotees don't talk up the food aspect of Club Orange.  Everyone takes club orange so they can book guarantees and then get the free in-category upgrade w Club Orange.  Cheaper than just selecting the room you want in some cases, and comes w internet access.  The "special" dining area and option of 1 additional entree is just a bone being thrown; they still don't get a lobster night and have to pay for shrimp cocktail. IJS.  Club Orange is best used to bundle perks and save money, not the food 

• Like 2

Just now, Reel Love said:

Pardon my ignorance Ipee, but what is Club Orange?  Have never sailed HAL.

Club Orange provides either a special space on older ships (hit or miss) or a separate restaurant (Pinnacle class) to eat at.  The menu is exactly the same as MDR with one additional entree.  On Pinnacle class the area used to be The Test Kitchen doing cooking demonstrations for everyone; they added frosted glass walls and now it is the Club Orange Restaurant.  

Club Orange also includes internet access bundled with it. 

Club Orange allows an upgrade within a meta-category.  So, for example, you want the one special angled balcony cabin that you know is super big; well w Club Orange you simply book the cheapest guarantee balcony on the ship and can then "upgrade" to the one you want at no extra charge.  

On some ships Club Orange is $35pp, pd, and other ships $25 pp, pd.  Only charged to first two guests.  If there is a 3rd/4th in the room they get the Club Orange perks and benefits without any further charges. For the addition of a single entree, which you may or may not want, to the standard MDR menu it is a waste, however is $50-$70 pd + internet works out cheaper than just picking the room you wanted to start with, then Club Orange can be a deal. 

Finite number of Club Orange is sold .er cruise, So you need to find out if they can sell any more when you make your booking,  and you had better know if the room you REALLY want is available before finalizing your booking. 

I think HAL is getting wise to the upgrade cheaper than just upgrading path because it's discussed a lot on various message boards.  I suspect Club Orange restrictions on upgrades are coming soon actually, like not allowing upgrades in a meta category starting from a guarantee.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Club Orange is just MDR menu with 1 additional entree.  Depending on the ship, the space is kind of odd/off-putting.  Food alone isn't a reason to take Club Orange.  Even the HAL devotees don't talk up the food aspect of Club Orange.  Everyone takes club orange so they can book guarantees and then get the free in-category upgrade w Club Orange.  Cheaper than just selecting the room you want in some cases, and comes w internet access.  The "special" dining area and option of 1 additional entree is just a bone being thrown; they still don't get a lobster night and have to pay for shrimp cocktail. IJS.  Club Orange is best used to bundle perks and save money, not the food 

What he said with the suite dining room on Pinnacle Class ships and priority tendering

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 2

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

What he said with a special dining room on Pinnacle Class ships and priority tendering

I gave a longer response but it requires moderator permission to post.  I may have angered the Celebrity Executive Office Gods tipping everyone off about their non-transparent plans 

It makes me wonder now how the reduced dinner selections compare to the late night snacks/buffet selection. I presume it means there could be some overlap in selection especially with the pizza and some of the desserts?

Edited by Uwlwsrpm

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The fish choices or lack of concern me most and I am very grateful for the information provided here. As a native of Scotland and accustomed to quality seafood, this may be a deal breaker.

Annie

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Canaletto has been sectioned out of the Buffet forever.  Canaletto did not replace or reduce any of the buffet offerings.  HAL's buffet offerings are world class honestly

HAL's Lido buffet is as good or more so than their MDR. At least it was on the Oosterdam last year from Venice. It had a fresh cooked to order fish, not Tilapia, station with a selection of Mediterranean fish, a Cooked to order pasta an Asian food station and an Indian food station. It also had a carving station every night. We found it to be delicious and a nice alternative to the MDR on nights we were too tired from long tours, to deal with a sit-down dinner in the MDR. We also enjoyed one night at the Canaletto as it was included in our cruise package.

Edited by terrydtx

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

HAL's Lido buffet is as good or more so than thier MDR. At least it was on the Oosterdam last year from Venice. It had a fresh cooked to order fish, not Tilapia,  station with a selection of Mediterranean fish, a Cooked to order pasta an Asian food station and an Indian food station. It also had a carving station every night. We found it to be delicious and a nice alternative to the MDR on nights we were too tired to deal with a sit down dinner in the MDR.

I agree.

On my TP cruise on the Oosterdam, many diners abandoned the MDR in favour of the buffet.

Annie

1 minute ago, anniegb said:

I agree.

On my TP cruise on the Oosterdam, many diners abandoned the MDR in favour of the buffet.

Annie

Our Oosterdam cruise was a 14 night one and the 7 night MDR menu repeated for the second 7 nights, so I think we used the Lido more the second 7 nights for more variety.