Mariner lunch on embarkation day

barbon2

Quite often the MDR is open for lunch for everyone on embarkation day, usually 12:00 - 1:00 or thereabouts. Some people have said their ship hasn’t had it, but it seems to be the norm that it is open for a limited time on embarkation day. I do recall having a Mariner-only lunch there several years ago, but they don’t seem to do that anymore. 

There was on the Koningsdam two weeks ago. It was very quiet there because everyone was being directed to th Lido as they got on. I firmly asked if the Dining Room was open and the staff member said yes somewhat reluctantly. That was about 12:15.

6 minutes ago, ScottishMaid said:

There was on the Koningsdam two weeks ago. It was very quiet there because everyone was being directed to th Lido as they got on. I firmly asked if the Dining Room was open and the staff member said yes somewhat reluctantly. That was about 12:15.

Thank you for answering this question.  We will be firm in our request too.

1 hour ago, ScottishMaid said:

Why would you think that the staff cares about where you eat lunch?  Also, why do you think being rude to a staff member will get you better results?  They always serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, Noon to 1:00, anybody is welcome to eat there.  No need to inquire if they are open, just show up between Noon and 1:00.  If for some operational problem they are not open just grab an elevator and go to the lido.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

Why would you think that the staff cares about where you eat lunch?  Also, why do you think being rude to a staff member will get you better results?  They always serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, Noon to 1:00, anybody is welcome to eat there.  No need to inquire if they are open, just show up between Noon and 1:00.  If for some operational problem they are not open just grab an elevator and go to the lido.

I don't know why, but it sure feels like someone doesn't want the word to get out about the embarkation luncheon. They do try to herd everyone into the elevators and up to the Lido. I have asked, been told "only the Lido," and then gone to check on my own and found that the MDR was, in fact, open for lunch. So now I don't bother to ask, I just go to the MDR to see if they're serving lunch.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

Well said, MikeD4134.  It's appalling how some cruise passengers treat crew members.  It takes no additional effort to be kind and polite.  

• Like 3

Some of the dining room staff are rotated for shore leave on embarkation day.

Others may be assisting with luggage collection very late the night before... or delivery of bags to your room for departure.

Maybe dining room staff are helping out with wheelchair assistance?

My guess.

David

5 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Some of the dining room staff are rotated for shore leave on embarkation day.

Others may be assisting with luggage collection very late the night before... or delivery of bags to your room for departure.

Maybe dining room staff are helping out with wheelchair assistance?

My guess.

David

I agree with you David. I only asked the question because we hadn’t been on Holland America in a bit and I read that they had the main dining room lunch. We usually do buffets on embarkation day, but the older you get the easier it is to sit down and be served. 

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know why, but it sure feels like someone doesn't want the word to get out about the embarkation luncheon. 

Keep in mind the "embarkation luncheon" is the same menu as every other day that the MDR will be open for lunch.  It's not just for mariners and it's not a special or different menu.  The hours will be on the navigator.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

I arrived on the Koningsdam on the 22nd and entered an elevator which had a worker in there taking everyone to the Lido. I asked if I could anywhere else and he said, no you need to eat first!

Edited by ChinaShrek

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Keep in mind the "embarkation luncheon" is the same menu as every other day that the MDR will be open for lunch.  It's not just for mariners and it's not a special or different menu.  The hours will be on the navigator.

Sue/WDW1972

I know that it isn't a special (better) menu. In fact, I think there have been fewer choices than other days on some cruises. For me, the attraction is that it's calm and quiet, without the kerfuffle of people trying to figure out the Lido for the first time. 

• Like 5

When we boarded Volendam on Nov. 19 we knew we should check out whether the dining room was open for lunch so headed there immediately after dropping off our carry on luggage.  The MDR was empty (both levels) so we went up to Lido for lunch.  I wish HAL was consistent across the line.  We used to enjoy lunch in the dining room on embarkation day.  Unfortunately the menu is so repetitive it's not even interesting going there anymore.

Come on guys (and gals), I don't think it's a grand conspiracy to keep you out of the MDR on embarkation day or deny you food... if everybody embarking headed to the MDR, there would be a crowd and frustrated guests. Rather, it's one of those pro-tips for veterans.

I usually go to the MDR on embarkation day. The food has never been special or unique to that day, but it's nice to just sit and chill.

• Like 3

Was on the Thanksgiving Nieuw Statendam cruise.  Regardless if the MDR was open for embarkation lunch or not (ate in the Lido), the rooms weren't ready until after 1 PM, so if you bring your luggage with you it probably isn't even an option.

Anyway, isn't everybody a Mariner with HAL?  What does a Mariner lunch even mean?  Only HAL virgins aren't allowed to attend?

Edited by PACD_JG

16 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

Don't even firmly ask... just go to the MDR and see if it's open or they're setting it up to open (if it's like 1145).

I'm going to be straight with ya'll, some of these countries staff are from, they listen and parrot what they're told from supervisors/managers because those people are in positions of authority. I've had several experiences to what's described above, and it's pretty obvious management tells the crew to "please don't mention the MDR is open... just say LIDO" --- Princess, HAL, Celebrity... they're all the same.

14 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Was on the Thanksgiving Nieuw Statendam cruise.  Regardless if the MDR was open for embarkation lunch or not (ate in the Lido), the rooms weren't ready until after 1 PM, so if you bring your luggage with you it probably isn't even an option.

Anyway, isn't everybody a Mariner with HAL?  What does a Mariner lunch even mean?  Only HAL virgins aren't allowed to attend?

Years ago, the luncheon was limited to Mariners with some number of stars, usually 2 or 3, depending on how busy they were or the mood of the Maitre d'. Or if there was a group, like local travel agents, getting a tour and lunch. Yes everyone, even a newbie, is a Mariner. Someone on a first cruise is a Mariner with no stars. 

12 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Don't even firmly ask... just go to the MDR and see if it's open or they're setting it up to open (if it's like 1145).

I'm going to be straight with ya'll, some of these countries staff are from, they listen and parrot what they're told from supervisors/managers because those people are in positions of authority. I've had several experiences to what's described above, and it's pretty obvious management tells the crew to "please don't mention the MDR is open... just say LIDO" --- Princess, HAL, Celebrity... they're all the same.

I'm sure you're right, the herders are told to say that. The staff at the elevators don't care where you eat. They just want to get you out of the way because more people are boarding. If the Lido is where they're supposed to send you, that's what they do. But it annoys me that HAL "offers" something they seem reluctant to give you.

15 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

We were on Koningsdam  frpm Dec 10 to 22 ,2022  .The main dining room definitely had problems the entire cruise .whether they were under staffed  or  not  ,There were huge lines every night  & even in the mornings for breakfast  ,We had any time dining & I was in a scooter ,We had no problems other than it took 2 hours one evening  to complete dinner .There were 2 high ranking officers observing what was going on several nights Some items like Lasanga  on the menu should never have been there ,Was not even close to being Lasanga , The executive Chef is  Indian . I call it as it is  

What did not make any sense embarkation day Dec 10 ,2022  for dinner half the Lido was closed & the line to the MDR was ridiculously  very very long . 

Imo HAL need to get it;;s  act together  because if this goers on too long people will avoid their ships .Not fun to wait so long for dinner or any meal 

• Like 1

A couple of points.

The boarding crew has forever been directing people to the Lido as they board.  I have even been told that the MDR was not open, only to find that it was.  I do think this is how this group is instructed.

Second, IMO the post Covid embarkation day MDR lunch menu has been downgraded significantly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I know that it isn't a special (better) menu. In fact, I think there have been fewer choices than other days on some cruises. For me, the attraction is that it's calm and quiet, without the kerfuffle of people trying to figure out the Lido for the first time. 

Agree.