MDR Menus

Mad4WDW

Hi All,

With all the discussion going on about the MDR menus lacking or not I thought it might be good to post the actual menus here for people to see.

I've scanned the menus from our December 2nd Britannia cruise into a PDF. Sorry I don't have the first night or the last night but I did get all 12 nights in between. I thought for what we paid for the cruise they did an incredible job. We did the same cruise in November and the menu was very similar. 

Menus PDF attached, what are you thoughts?

Britannia MDR Menus Dec22.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

If well cooked,  those to me look like very good meals.

Everything was cooked as you'd expect it to be. If I had to pick something out that I noticed was that there seemed to be a good amount of gluten free options. And that the always available salmon was now gone.

47 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi All,

With all the discussion going on about the MDR menus lacking or not I thought it might be good to post the actual menus here for people to see.

I've scanned the menus from our December 2nd Britannia cruise into a PDF. Sorry I don't have the first night or the last night but I did get all 12 nights in between. I thought for what we paid for the cruise they did an incredible job. We did the same cruise in November and the menu was very similar. 

Menus PDF attached, what are you thoughts?

Britannia MDR Menus Dec22.pdf 3.82 MB · 20 downloads

Fascinating! I've just read your menus with great interest.  I note you had lobster, baked Alaska, beef Wellington etc, all of which were sadly missing on our Christmas cruise.  In fact your menus apart from the Christmas Turkey and one or two others are far superior to what we were offered.

As you most likely saw elsewhere the poor choice of food on my just completed cruise is one of the reasons I have just cancelled my Arvia Christmas cruise in 2023.

I do not have the menus from our cruise unfortunately but can see your offering was far superior, in fact I'd have been extremely happy with it. 

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Fascinating! I've just read your menus with great interest.  I note you had lobster, baked Alaska, beef Wellington etc, all of which were sadly missing on our Christmas cruise.  In fact your menus apart from the Christmas Turkey and one or two others are far superior to what we were offered.

As you most likely saw elsewhere the poor choice of food on my just completed cruise is one of the reasons I have just cancelled my Arvia Christmas cruise in 2023.

I do not have the menus from our cruise unfortunately but can see your offering was far superior, in fact I'd have been extremely happy with it. 

Hi MB

I'm surprised there's such a difference. We're on Arvia in a couple weeks so I'll let you know how we get on  with that one!

We were on first sitting in December, the first time we're done club dining for a full cruise in years and it was pleasantly surprising how much we enjoyed it compared to freedom dining. The trouble with freedom dining is you hardly ever eat when you actually want to we've found. And all the shows still fit around the old club dining times lol

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi MB

I'm surprised there's such a difference. We're on Arvia in a couple weeks so I'll let you know how we get on  with that one!

We were on first sitting in December, the first time we're done club dining for a full cruise in years and it was pleasantly surprising how much we enjoyed it compared to freedom dining. The trouble with freedom dining is you hardly ever eat when you actually want to we've found. And all the shows still fit around the old club dining times lol

I assumed the all three restaurants had the same menus but perhaps not.  Your offerings on formal nights are much better.  We actually only had one extended menu apart from Christmas day.  I see you had all the old traditional meals and things like duck and crab, I saw none of that. In fact so bad was the choice for me on one occasion our waiter got me a portion of pasta in tomato sauce! I am quite shocked at the difference to the point I've just been completing my Feefo review and have mentioned the comparison between your cruise menus and ours.

I will be very interested in your Arvia experience.  I am booked on Iona in March mainly to use up my remaining FCC and fully expected to be living on fish and chips and Glass House food!  Maybe there's some hope after all.

• Like 1

I've just reread your menus and showed them to my husband. He confirms we had the same as you on 3rd, 5th, 11th and part of the celebration menu on 12th (minus shrimp starter and baked Alaska).

The rest are, as I thought, totally unrecognisable to us!

• Like 1

Well they know how to write an enticing menu - and there are indeed some lovely sounding dishes. Now if only the execution of the dishes is always up to it…..…..although to be fair, I recall some of these on our last cruise on Britannia which were pretty decently made.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mad4WDW said:

Everything was cooked as you'd expect it to be. If I had to pick something out that I noticed was that there seemed to be a good amount of gluten free options. And that the always available salmon was now gone.

I can't open the documents (will try on my laptop later) but would expect them to be similar to ours in September, apart from the salmon, which was on every night.

Our eldest is a ceoliac, so she was blown away by the GF choice. We had the same waiters for dinner and breakfast, so they made sure she was looked after well.

We look forward in anticipation, and with a little trepidation, to this weekend, to see how Arvia compares.

• Like 1

I have just looked at the first 6 and it's almost the same every day. Pan fried chicken with potato wedges, roast beef, beef sirloin, roast lamb.  Oh for a pasta dish or a curry.  Ah OK,, there is one pasta dish that I hate and that's gnocchi!  And a veg goan curry.  Hmmm.  I would be hard pushed to choose something I like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have just looked at the first 6 and it's almost the same every day. Pan fried chicken with potato wedges, roast beef, beef sirloin, roast lamb.  Oh for a pasta dish or a curry.  Ah OK,, there is one pasta dish that I hate and that's gnocchi!  And a veg goan curry.  Hmmm.  I would be hard pushed to choose something I like. 

We had just about the same menu on Britannia in October. Was very good, you should try it .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We had just about the same menu on Britannia in October. Was very good, you should try it .

It just doesn't excite me.  There is so much beef!  I don't like beef or pheasant.  The lemon sole would be OK.  Pan fried chicken is fine, it's just boring and it's on every menu?

Just now, jeanlyon said:

It just doesn't excite me.  There is so much beef!  I don't like beef or pheasant.  The lemon sole would be OK.  Pan fried chicken is fine, it's just boring and it's on every menu?

Yes, a couple of things are standard on the menu every night (chicken and steak usually). Always been that way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mad4WDW said:

I could not agree more.

It's a so much more civilised affair.

Those menus are very similar to the ones on Aurora in September. I agree with Jean that there is a lot of repetition. I found there was very little choice on some nights for me but accept that is down to my likes/dislikes. There were two evenings that there wasn't a single starter I wanted. I also find the desserts now very limited when ice cream and cheese are included in the selection every evening. Sadly, I also found that some of the desserts were almost completely tasteless.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I also find the desserts now very limited when ice cream and cheese are included in the selection every evening. Sadly, I also found that some of the desserts were almost completely tasteless.

Agreed, cheese and biscuits were virtually the same every night, the waiters did their best to be fair, no sundaes, the sweets were a bit tasteless, the ice cream and sorbets were good most of the time.

• Like 2

plenty there for me. Unlike Jean, I love gnochi, veg curries and pheasant!

The one thing that makes me sad in a nostalgic way is the "cheese plate" I have very fond memories a few years ago of being on Oriana and my husband being served vast amount of port-soaked Stilton from a whole cheese on a trolley! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

The pan fried chicken is what has replaced the salmon and wedges as available every day. Salad replaced the prawn cocktail 

12 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

my husband being served vast amount of port-soaked Stilton from a whole cheese on a trolley! 

A terrible waste of an excellent cheese

Yours Truly 

Cheese seller (retd)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

A terrible waste of an excellent cheese

Yours Truly 

Cheese seller (retd)

I quite agree. I love a good Stilton, but have only ever had port soaked Stilton on cruises. It ruins a good cheese in my opinion. However, many people seem to enjoy it. I would rather have the port in a glass beside my cheese!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Britboys said:

Those menus are very similar to the ones on Aurora in September. I agree with Jean that there is a lot of repetition. I found there was very little choice on some nights for me but accept that is down to my likes/dislikes. There were two evenings that there wasn't a single starter I wanted. I also find the desserts now very limited when ice cream and cheese are included in the selection every evening. Sadly, I also found that some of the desserts were almost completely tasteless.

andrew, luckily the food is not what I cruise for.  I only ever have a starter and a main, but like you, some nights there would be nothing that I would want.  Hey ho.  We haven't cruised for 3 years,, so will have to  wait and see.  Might be trying Fred again the year after.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Britboys said:

I had some problems on Britannia cruise just passed.  The menus shown here are far better than we were offered.  On three occasions our lovely waiter Harish took it upon himself to organise pasta dishes for me to replace the offerings.  I appreciate many are vegetarians but three dishes on the main menu made the choice fairly limited with the chicken and steak filling two of the remaining slots and only three others to choose from.  Basically you were stuck if you didn't want fish or beef. On one night the chicken was replaced with a different chicken dish which cause some confusion for the waiter.

Our waiter however was very generous bringing without being asked extra vegetables and roast potatoes or chips in little bowls every night.  There were copious amounts of green beans, broccoli, carrots and peas which together with the veg included on the plates meant quite large meals could be had.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I had some problems on Britannia cruise just passed.  The menus shown here are far better than we were offered.  On three occasions our lovely waiter Harish took it upon himself to organise pasta dishes for me to replace the offerings.  I appreciate many are vegetarians but three dishes on the main menu made the choice fairly limited with the chicken and steak filling two of the remaining slots and only three others to choose from.  Basically you were stuck if you didn't want fish or beef. On one night the chicken was replaced with a different chicken dish which cause some confusion for the waiter.

Our waiter however was very generous bringing without being asked extra vegetables and roast potatoes or chips in little bowls every night.  There were copious amounts of green beans, broccoli, carrots and peas which together with the veg included on the plates meant quite large meals could be had.

The problem is if you had an extensive list of options you can absolutely guarantee someone would complain on not having there favourite nut roast on, we are not fussy esters we always found something we wanted to eat.