2023 Where are they now? Officers & crew.

casofilia

This week on the Jewel:

Steven Jacobsen, General Manager 

Nicola Donadic, Food & Beverage Director 

Tahani Bautista, Cruise Director 

Richard Estolano, Executive Housekeeper 

Michelle Taladhay, Guest Services Manager

Baiju Ravindran, Executive Chef 

Adine Barrett, Restaurant Manager

Muhammad Efendi, Beverage Manager 

Juan Franco, CruiseNext Manager

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:57 PM, jadair75 said:

Now that you have sailed on the Star, do you have the list of officers?

I can’t tell; was this question directed to me? Obviously, I can’t have sailed recently enough on all 16 NCL ships I’ve boarded to provide relevant lists for all of them. I was on the Star in November 2017, so any information I have would be useless today. 

Officers encounter 100k to 250k people per year!!
They won’t remember you, so why try so hard to keep track of them??
All will gladly respond “I remember you!” after you remind them of the cruise you were on, but they don’t…

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

All will gladly respond “I remember you!” after you remind them of the cruise you were on, but they don’t…

I constantly am amazed at how many officers not only recognize us, but call us by name, sometimes years after we last sailed with them.  Perhaps the most remarkable example was when Cruise Next Manager Tauran spotted us standing in the atrium of the Joy on embarkation day of an Alaska cruise in July 2019.  He stepped away from his desk, made a bee line for us, and warmly greeted each of us by name.  The last time we had seen him before that was February of 2016 on the Breakaway, when he was a junior officer and we only spoke to him briefly at the Captain's cocktail reception in the Haven.  He remembered our names, the date of the sailing at which we met, and the topics we discussed at that cocktail party three years earlier.  Many of the officers who call us by name are ones with whom we have shared dinner as Latitude members.  They include several GMs, a couple of Captains, and a dozen or so other three or four stripe officers. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I know more NCL officers than I can count, many of whom are friends - much more than acquaintances. When I get on a ship that I frequent, not only do the officers know me by name, but so do many restaurant hostesses and waiters. 

Sure, if you cruise once every few years, nobody will know you, nor will they if you make no effort to interact with them; they’re not mind readers. 

My bigger question is this: if you feel that keeping track of key crew members is so pointless, why are you even reading this board, let alone throwing insults at those of us who have relationships you never will?

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, lkjacobs said:

I know more NCL officers than I can count, many of whom are friends - much more than acquaintances. When I get on a ship that I frequent, not only do the officers know me by name, but so do many restaurant hostesses and waiters. 

Sure, if you cruise once every few years, nobody will know you, nor will they if you make no effort to interact with them; they’re not mind readers. 

My bigger question is this: if you feel that keeping track of key crew members is so pointless, why are you even reading this board, let alone throwing insults at those of us who have relationships you never will?

Well said   I have many many crew member friends that I hear from on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I find it amazing and enlightening when I board a cruise ship and someone comes across from their desk, station or w.h.y. with a Mr Mike, or a Ms Pauline for my wife, with the date and ship we previously met on.

We will talk to anyone and love the camaraderie over the years without "keeping in touch".   There is a bond in cruising that overrides names.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

This may have been your experience but it certainly hasn't been mine. I guess some of us are just more memorable than others...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

This may have been your experience but it certainly hasn't been mine. I guess some of us are just more memorable than others...

I guess I fall into the 'more memorable' category - when I sailed the Bliss 6 months after the cruise we were both on the assistant CD remembered me.  Not by name, but he recognized me.

6 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Yes, they remember you...well maybe not you...but lots of others.

We actually share our wedding anniversary date with an officer and his wife (Asst Gm), also

my birthday same as member of cruise next staff. When you talk to crew, you can make some lifelong friends, as we and many, many others have done.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I was remembered by a head bartender on The Joy last March from TWO years previously when I sailed on the Getaway. As I walked into the bar, a voice called out, " Miss ______ !  (My nickname; NOT the name that shows up on their cheat sheets.) Now THAT'S impressive!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

While this is true, it is also false.  We just disembarked from the Jewel. We were on Hera year ago, and one of the restaurant hostesses, called us out be name, from a distance, before we ever saw her.  That was amazing.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:41 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Tell me you don't appreciate the crew members without telling me you don't appreciate the crew members. 

Is there any updated crew member information for the NCL Sun.  As a side note we take vanilla creamers with us when we cruise.  We always bring extra.  It is a great conversation starter with the wait staff and the Maitre'd.  We love to share and it comes back many fold.  Crew remember the creamer lady!!