Jet lag? Tour same day?

flukemaster

So we ( 6 of us) plan on cramming in a tour after we get off the plane in Rome. We are staying in the central area hotels. The flight leaves NY at 5:25pm and gets to Rome at 7:45 am, so it is an overnight flight. How many people actually sleep while flying? I would think with them serving dinner and then just the adrenaline ( and movies) 

there would only be about 4 hours ( on an 8 hour flight) to actually sleep on the plane ( we have lie flat seats). Once we get there, I would assume that we go thru customs, get the transportation to the hotel and would arrive there at about 10am. I would doubt that we can check in that early, so i guess we will just leave the bags there for a few hours.

How many people are totally exhausted from the jet lag to anything at all? Our plan was to take a tour for 4 hours either that night or sometime during the day, rather than just hang out for the rest of the day. Have anyone taken a tour after they get off a flight? 

Immigration (called Passport Check in Europe)and claiming bags (FCO is not a particularly efficient airport)will take time, not Customs. Customs is the red/green system, which if you don't have anything to declare and use the green line, literally takes seconds.

It is very commonly recommended here to try to stay awake as long as you can by being active...walking around, for example. The more you sit, the more you want to fall asleep. I would walk as much as  you can, enjoying the scenery and people watching, stopping only to eat, and if you need to rest the legs. Stay outside in the light as long as you can.

The air crew will encourage sleep, so they will darken the plane after dinner is served. You should be able to get at least 4, probably 5 hours sleep. We did a Toronto-Copenhagen flight this summer...that was a total of 6 hours. Definitely not enough sleep time, considering the meal schedule. But we followed what I described above, and stayed awake until after 9pm local time.

36 minutes ago, flukemaster said:

So we ( 6 of us) plan on cramming in a tour after we get off the plane in Rome. We are staying in the central area hotels. The flight leaves NY at 5:25pm and gets to Rome at 7:45 am, so it is an overnight flight. How many people actually sleep while flying? I would think with them serving dinner and then just the adrenaline ( and movies) 

there would only be about 4 hours ( on an 8 hour flight) to actually sleep on the plane ( we have lie flat seats). Once we get there, I would assume that we go thru customs, get the transportation to the hotel and would arrive there at about 10am. I would doubt that we can check in that early, so i guess we will just leave the bags there for a few hours.

How many people are totally exhausted from the jet lag to anything at all? Our plan was to take a tour for 4 hours either that night or sometime during the day, rather than just hang out for the rest of the day. Have anyone taken a tour after they get off a flight? 

The best way to avoid jetlag is to stay awake and in the sunlight as long as you can.  

Go get some coffee and panini after you drop your bags.  Depending on your hotel location, walk around to nearby landmarks, maybe the Trevi fountain, piazza Navona, etc..  But, yes, you can book an early afternoon tour to an outdoor location such as the Colosseum.  Then check in to your room, but do not take a nap.  By 6 pm you will be really tired and you can get dinner and go to bed early.  You will be glad you did it this way.

Do not book a tour for that night.  You will not be able to stay awake that long.  If you take an afternoon nap and then go for a tour, you will have jetlag for days.

• Like 3

Most flights from the US to Europe are overnight flights. Many, many people manage to get enough shut-eye or at least rest that they can keep going the next day. I know that for me, the adrenaline of actually BEING there is usually enough to carry me through (coupled with a couple of espressos throughout the day....)

I agree that it's best to avoid napping if at all possible. Also that taking a night-time tour would be asking for a miserable time with everyone trying to keep their eyes open.

A few tips to help encourage sleeping on the plane:  start going to bed early a few nights before your flight to encourage you to be sleepy earlier. Find a good place to eat in the airport and have your dinner there, then decline the in-flight dinner and try to go to sleep. One or two drinks may help you get sleepy, but don't overindulge or you'll truly feel terrible come morning. Drink plenty of water. If all else fails and you can't sleep, just try to rest and relax. 

7 hours ago, flukemaster said:

. . . . .How many people actually sleep while flying?   . . . . Have anyone taken a tour after they get off a flight? 

I have never been able to sleep on a long flight, even when I splurged on a lie-flat seat for a flight from Chicago to London.   I doze fitfully, but otherwise I just read or listen to soothing music.   If I have a choice, I pick a flight that's closer to my usual bedtime rather than a late afternoon or early evening one.

When a friend and I landed in Rome before a Celebrity cruise some years ago, we dropped our bags off at the hotel and then took a Hop-on, Hop-off bus around the city.  Sure, it's touristy, but it was our first time in Rome, and it was a low-effort way to see the major sights in our jet-lagged state.   We got off and walked around at several stops.

I absolutely agree with those who have said to get out, be active, get some sunlight, and avoid a nap. Power through the day; excitement and adrenaline will probably help.   Have an early dinner and go to bed early.   You will probably feel fine the next day.

As has been posted, adrenalin can do wonders...as least for a few hours.  Over more than 50 years of international travel we have tried all the usual ideas to minimize jet lag.  Flying Business Class is certainly a great start.  Even a couple of hours of sleep (on the plane) is a big help.  With the morning arrival we do what the OP suggests which is to go directly to our hotel, check-in, drop our bags, put our valuables into the hotel safe, and then start our tourist day.  We just suck it up and do our best.  Around 3 or 4 we return to the hotel, get in our room, and take a nap (no more than 2 hours).  Then it's a quick shower (or bath) and out to a nice dinner.  The couple of hours sleep on the flight coupled with the short nap gets us through dinner.  We then go to bed at a normal time and are close to normal the following morning.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As has been posted, adrenalin can do wonders...as least for a few hours.  Over more than 50 years of international travel we have tried all the usual ideas to minimize jet lag.  Flying Business Class is certainly a great start.  Even a couple of hours of sleep (on the plane) is a big help.  With the morning arrival we do what the OP suggests which is to go directly to our hotel, check-in, drop our bags, put our valuables into the hotel safe, and then start our tourist day.  We just suck it up and do our best.  Around 3 or 4 we return to the hotel, get in our room, and take a nap (no more than 2 hours).  Then it's a quick shower (or bath) and out to a nice dinner.  The couple of hours sleep on the flight coupled with the short nap gets us through dinner.  We then go to bed at a normal time and are close to normal the following morning.

Hank

Well, Hank,

I finally found a point where we disagree.  For me, an afternoon nap kills me for the next day - mostly because I can't wake up after just 2 hours. 🙃😁  I find it easier to stay up and crash after an early dinner.  

Other than that, we are on the same beam.

Happy new year and happy travels to you!

• Thanks 2

I think everybody has a different ability  to sleep in a plane.   I have tried numerous ways, even with over the counter meds.  Nothing has given me more than fitful sleep.  It seems that around me everyone is getting their full 8 hours.  

I too would avoid a power nap (which I will have when at home when predicting a late night out).   I do an early dinner and  waking adjusting to the new schedule.  

I do like Cruisemom’s suggestion of changing your sleep pattern prior to your trip.  

I'm with Hank on the 3pm nap.  I've done that for decades.  Gets me able to go out to get dinner at a civilized Roman time rather than the 5-6pm Tourist Special 😉

I used the TimeShifter app this summer to try to get a little help from jetlag.  That and flying Delta One so I could sleep a good sleep on my 10 hr flight from home to Paris.   It did help.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I'm with Hank on the 3pm nap.  I've done that for decades.  Gets me able to go out to get dinner at a civilized Roman time rather than the 5-6pm Tourist Special 😉

I used the TimeShifter app this summer to try to get a little help from jetlag.  That and flying Delta One so I could sleep a good sleep on my 10 hr flight from home to Paris.   It did help.  

I’m happy a couple of you like the nap idea!  I would love to tour for a while, take a nap and then do an evening food and wine tour. Otherwise I’ll want to crash early, get up early the next day, which will make me sleepy early, and we will never acclimate to their late dinner time. 

12 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m happy a couple of you like the nap idea!  I would love to tour for a while, take a nap and then do an evening food and wine tour. Otherwise I’ll want to crash early, get up early the next day, which will make me sleepy early, and we will never acclimate to their late dinner time. 

I think everyone responds differently to jet lag, plus the time you arrive makes a difference. (and your age!)

Europe is an 8 or 9 hr time difference for me coming from the West Coast.  If I arrive after 4pm, I'll have dinner then go to bed around 8pm. As long as i make up for that missed night of sleep, I'm good to go.   

But if I arrive in the morning, I prefer to have a nap first, then I'll go sightseeing, have dinner, and in bed around 8 or 9pm. 

I struggle more with the time difference when I get home. For the first week I'll  wake up at 3am.

Geez, I remember in my youth when I would fly all night, then go right to work from the airport on zero sleep.  Ah youth....

• Haha 1