ID help needed please

Emmcee1967

I made plans to go on a carnival cruise months ago. It sets sail on January 16th and I’ve just realized that I lost my wallet. I know that sounds funny but I never carry cash and always use Apple Pay so I don’t know how or when I could have lost it. 

That being said, I went online tonight to order another license, but it says it can take 2-3 weeks. I think I got my last license in about a week but I’m still nervous. 

So I have a paper drivers license with no picture, a picture of the old license, my birth certificate and my social security card. Do you think they will let me on the ship? 

This trip has been a nightmare so far, not through any fault of Carnival, though. All my fault. I bought the trip as a surprise for my sons 20th bday and he finally admitted to me today that he didn’t want to go. I bought the tickets through a third party and because it’s less than 14 days away they told me they couldn’t change the passenger to someone else. And now the wallet thing! 

Has anyone else cruised with the documents I mentioned or am I just going to have to kiss this trip goodbye? 

oh, did I mention it’s non-refundable? 
☹️

• Like 1

It probably should be "kiss this trip goodbye" but folks have gotten on with a hodgepodge of docs before. Is the picture of the old license expired? If not, and it matches all the info on the temporary, they may possibly let you on. I'd call carnival directly, the local port folks, and try to speak to someone by name, figure out what would work and then be able to reference them if any problems arise at the cruise terminal. It could also be an issue of what Carnival will accept vs what CBP will accept for reentry, they aren't supposed to let you on if you wouldn't qualify for reentry (document wise), but I have seen some folks make some claims that seemed against the rules but they claimed it worked.    

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your answer. I’m going to cross my fingers that my new ID makes it here in time. If not, I’m going through the process of getting refunds for the excursions and specialty dining I reserved. Does anyone know how to request a refund for prepaid gratuities? 

thanks again! 

11 minutes ago, Emmcee1967 said:

Thanks so much for your answer. I’m going to cross my fingers that my new ID makes it here in time. If not, I’m going through the process of getting refunds for the excursions and specialty dining I reserved. Does anyone know how to request a refund for prepaid gratuities? 

thanks again! 

You will get auto refunds on all that stuff if you don't make the cruise. Only cruise fare is up for loss if you don't make it and it will most certainly be non-refundable if 3rd party, even if it was not, it's so close to sailing that even if bought through Carnival you could only hope for a FCC at best but they won't touch it if it's a third party since it's considered a travel agent, even if just through one of the large online sites. Hope it works out for you! 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emmcee1967 said:

Thanks again! You’re very kind. I don’t blame them one bit for not refunding the cost of the cruise. I should have booked through them. Lesson learned about purchasing a non-refundable ticket though! 

Having a backup state ID is also a good thing to have, a lot of folks have lost DL's and been in your same shoes. It's gotta be nerve-racking. I'm pulling for you! Let us know how it works out.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

2 hours ago, Emmcee1967 said:

I don’t blame them one bit for not refunding the cost of the cruise. I should have booked through them. Lesson learned about purchasing a non-refundable ticket though! 

This close to sailing any cruise is going to be 100% nonrefundable regardless of where you booked it.

Your only option would have been to buy insurance with a Cancel For Any Reason benefit.  I think some policies may cover cancellation if your ID is stolen,  but I don't think losing it is a covered reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Having a backup state ID is also a good thing to have, a lot of folks have lost DL's and been in your same shoes. It's gotta be nerve-racking. I'm pulling for you! Let us know how it works out.  

Most states only allow you to have one ID, either a driver's license or a regular ID. If one lives in a state that allows two then it's an option for sure. If someone works for a government entity then their employee ID would work as long as it has a picture on it.

OP, crossing my fingers that your new license does come in before the cruise. If your means of getting to the port have been paid for or cost little then if it were me I'd probably show up with what I have since the only people that can tell you for sure if that would work are in the terminal itself. If boarding is denied you are in no worse shape than you are now and best case is you still get to cruise so you can relax from all this tension. As mentioned any pre-paid items other than the fare would still be refunded.

Perhaps @Ferry_Watcher  whose job is to check id for cruise passengers will see this thread and respond and be able to give you a more definitive answer as to your chances of being approved to board with the id you have left.

But hopefully it is all academic as your new license arrives in time.

I'll just throw this out there. Did you happen to purchase Travel Insurance? If you purchased the insurance plan offered by Carnival, it includes a Cancel For Any Reason benefit. This allows you to cancel the cruise all the way up to ships scheduled departure time and receive a 75% credit towards a future cruise That way maybe you can take a more relaxing cruise when the stars are better aligned for you.

• Like 1

when you get to the port make sure and carry on your luggage just in case they don't let you board.  I have heard.  I am surprised your temporary paper license doesn't have your picture.  Did you do it online?  Texas prints your picture on the temporary license when you renew in person.  You may want to go to the dmv office and ask them print you a new temporary license.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

when you get to the port make sure and carry on your luggage just in case they don't let you board.  I have heard.  I am surprised your temporary paper license doesn't have your picture.  Did you do it online?  Texas prints your picture on the temporary license when you renew in person.  You may want to go to the dmv office and ask them print you a new temporary license.

I have definitely read of the paper license with picture working.

9 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Another reason why it's good for travelers to put out a few bucks and have a passport.  Hope it works out well for the OP.  🙂

If I had a passport, I'd probably have lost that, too! I swear, it seems like every important vacation I've gone on, something has happened. One time I accidentally threw away our plane tickets and this was when it wasn't so easy to get new ones. 🥵

20 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

People keep them in a safe place and only take them out for travel.  Therefore less likely to lose than a DL, which is taken everywhere.

Also, less likely to lose 2 things than 1 thing.

19 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

You're not carrying your passport around town with you.  It will be in a safe place at home ready to be used for travel. 

Possibly, but I have read many accounts of passports being lost so not a good reason in my mind to get one (unless of course it is actually needed for the travel one is doing). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having lost multiple driver's licenses, I feel your pain. I keep my license in a compartment in my phone wallet and when my kids were little, they would play with my phone and pull the cards out.  I bet that in this circumstance a picture of the old one along with the new paper one will work in the event your other one does not arrive.  I have been allowed to pick up controlled substances before with just a picture of my driver's license and this is nowhere near as serious as that...I mean, if the DEA accepts a picture, I would think Carnival would.  I would call Carnival to make sure.  Let us know what they say.  

Also, I do not think you are legally supposed to have two copies of your driver's license or state i.d. so having a back up one isn't really an option. When I have gotten a new one before due to having lost one, the paperwork says that if you find your old one, you are supposed to destroy it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

You're not carrying your passport around town with you.  It will be in a safe place at home ready to be used for travel. 

But if you lose your license and then use your passport as a photo ID, it can then get lost as well.