Arvia - Impressions from Maiden

No pager thank you

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I find that they roll out the NDA when you have declined the first one or two offers to settle!

Funnily enough the NDA that I may or may not have signed on Britannia was due to a noise issue (and we had a 3 year old with us so it was really causing us grief), and it was presented with their first offer (admittedly their first offer was very reasonable).

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You are all right about noisy cabins, and as far as I know no cruise line is going to mention this problem.  Once you are a seasoned cruiser, you just look closely at the deck plans,  and do not book anything over or more particularly under a public area where there could be noise, i.e. where there is music or where there may be scraping of chairs etc., like the pool deck, which often happens early in the morning when the crew get there to sort it out.

Yes, we do the same. However, on ships like Ventura and Azura the mid ship suites are under the pool deck. Friends of ours booked a suite on their first P&O cruise and were disturbed very early every morning with chairs being dragged around as the deck was hosed down. As a result, they felt that they had wasted the extra money that they spent on a suite and have never booked another since. 

1 minute ago, itf said:

Funnily enough the NDA that I may or may not have signed on Britannia was due to a noise issue (and we had a 3 year old with us so it was really causing us grief), and it was presented with their first offer (admittedly their first offer was very reasonable).

Actually, you’ve just reminded me. We’ve had 3 NDA’s with P&O. Two were significant issues and were settled after a few rejections of their offers. However, one time (on Britannia) we had a very minor problem with a blocked basin in our suite. We didn’t complain about it (it wasn’t a big deal) but just notified the excellent maintenance team. Anyway, it took them about 3 or 4 visits to fix it and even though we weren’t at all bothered about it the deck manager very kindly gave us some extra OBC. What staggered me, given how NDA’s are generally only used by other companies in very serious situations where the company wishes to avoid adverse PR, we were asked to sign an NDA for it 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I find that they roll out the NDA when you have declined the first one or two offers to settle!

At the time I was having a few health problems onboard with an ear infection so I couldn't be too bothered once I got home.  I never actually asked for anything and they volunteered it about two months after we returned, apparently a follow up from my complaint to Reception on noise issues.  It was actually a surprise but my OH said he had a feeling it probably happened regularly and not many would be happy with Freddie Mercury playing in their room at 2.00am!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You are all right about noisy cabins, and as far as I know no cruise line is going to mention this problem.  Once you are a seasoned cruiser, you just look closely at the deck plans,  and do not book anything over or more particularly under a public area where there could be noise, i.e. where there is music or where there may be scraping of chairs etc., like the pool deck, which often happens early in the morning when the crew get there to sort it out.

Indeed we always check out the plans and avoid any obvious issues.

The problem starts when the noise issues are not predictable. In my example with Cunard we were well up the ship but the deafening engine noise and vibration was referred up through a network of pipes and affected a couple of cabins on virtually every deck, not something one could see on the plans. 

It is also a shame for new cruisers if they are caught out by this.

• Like 1

And you can get mysterious creaking from cupboards, doors in your cabin etc. during the night, in any cabin.  Utterly maddening when you can't sleep, and very noticeable to those of us who live in quiet spots with no noisy neighbours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I had a very irritating rattle in one cabin. I worked out it was one of the framed prints on the wall and tucked a bit of folded up loo paper behind it. Voila, peace & quiet...😄

Loo paper is an ideal rattle suppressant for P&O cabins and also works to silence whistles through balcony doors! Sadly it doesn’t work to silence noisy cabin neighbours 😂 

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Sadly it doesn’t work to silence noisy cabin neighbours 😂 

Sadly not for noisy neighbours on cruises who are up to all hours. But then they usually are the types who get up late, so an “accidental” bang on their door as you go to breakfast can help. Or accidentally pop your “please clean my cabin” sign on their door!…….😇

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

We are booked on Arvia for 14 nights Caribbean 18th Feb

Really  looking forward to it. First Caribbean cruise without  the kids

I sympathise with those guests who didn't enjoy the maiden cruise and had a poor Xmas and New Year

To me it's just like booking a new Hotel that's just opened

I would never ever dare risk it myself. Huge new cruise ship entire new team of staff working together for the first time. Huge learning curve. Then throw in Xmas and New Year and a full ship.

Wow that's really asking for trouble IMO.

I feel sorry for the staff as well as the guests taking on that challenge together TBH

Probably the hardest challenge the staff  will ever face on that ship 

And I realise this want planned to be the maiden cruise was it?

Regardless I think a couple of months are needed at new hotels and on new cruise ships to be confident that staff will know what they are all doing together and for faults to be ironed out

I'm hoping 2 months in the staff have bedded in and got used to the new ship etc and created a routine that works

The price we've paid providing we stay healthy for the 2 weeks we will have an great time and overcome any issues/niggles I'm sure

There's too many good and great things to do and see in 14 nights to worry about the negatives IMO

If I report a negative cruise then it seriously will have to have been bad!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 9

On 1/14/2023 at 11:26 AM, Dentist at Sea said:

In truth the CEO Paul Ludlow is just making his comments up as we only just this week received our full online feedback forms, so his comments are baseless or just made on hearsay. Analytically P&O probably will not have the true picture from the survey of Arvias inaugural cruise for at least a couple of weeks. 

We have been on enough cruises to know this one was rubbish just very poor. It is not about moaning or groaning or nit picking, for what we paid which was a lot of money, 99% of passengers would have said the same. 

Just one detail out of many. We booked the Retreat for a couple of days at a charge of £60 per person per day. It is something we always do as we like the quiet and the comfy beds plus service.  The comfy day beds were very comfy the service non existent. If you want a hot drink you make your own from a jug of hot water provided. Mid day meal sort of ok if you like eating out of plastic boxes. The much heralded afternoon tea was two miniscule scones with a pot of jam again enclosed in a hard plastic box.  

Every other Retreat or similar we have been in, and there have been dozens, were far far better provisioned and serviced 

Prior to this  cruise we had booked  Arvia  for a 15 day further cruise which we have now cancelled and are awaiting feedback from P & O . 

We used to book the retreat on previous cruises. We started to realise it simply wasn't worth the money.

Food options way better outside of the Retreat

We just find the best spot on the ship for us and get up early

On a Caribbean cruise with so few sea days even less reason to use the Retreat IMO

Prefer to spend the money on cocktails and speciality restaurants

On 1/9/2023 at 3:09 PM, Selbourne said:

For those who might not have read it, here’s what Paul Ludlow said to journalists regarding the maiden cruise of Arvia;

“As ever there were a few bugs in the system and a handful of guests - and it really was a handful of guests out of 5,000 guests - that had some problems on Christmas. What I can say though is that across the 14-day holiday - that all of those guests experienced - they had a wonderful time. The vast majority of people - 99.9 per cent of people - went away delighted," Mr Ludlow told gathered journalists. He said his team onboard "knocked it out the park" on the maiden voyage, and he is "more than confident" the current Caribbean cruise would not see problems with a "phenomenal" team on the ship. He said the glitches on the first cruise happened in just a couple of hours and were rectified "within hours".

You see that's inexcusable though

And had I been on that maiden cruise that would really upset me to read

Honesty is a better policy

A statement like that can ONLY be financially motivated

Otherwise just hold your hands up - admit the mistakes and promise to improve

Gain some respect back from the customers you have let down. Say sorry and improve. Simple as that

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 1:38 PM, Castle25 said:

But this wasn't the scheduled 'maiden'.........

I wouldn't trust a second, third or even fourth cruise tbh

We manage staff at large hospitality events across the UK

We always get new staff to manage every event (alongside experienced staff of course)

We put them with experienced staff to shadow when really they are allocated to work alone. It's less risk than leaving them on their own!!

Probably takes a month or so before we really class them as experienced staff and can rely on them to make good decisions with customers and say the right things etc

They learn more in the first months than they will in their entire careers. And the good ones become great and reliable etc

As such in an ideal world. From business experience I wouldn't book a new hotel, restaurant or cruise ship until 3 months after its opened

We are cruising Arvia approx 2 months after it launched. So I've gone against my own advice. But it's the latest we could leave it

It's much less of a risk of teething problems after two months 

But they will still be learning, improving and gaining experience even then

But I'm sure we will enjoy it regardless

• Like 3

As regards comparisons, I have cruised on other lines, but my main concern is the amount of cutbacks P and O have made since before Covid. I have been looking at various menus in the MDR and buffet and can see no shellfish whatsoever.

If you like Caesar salad you are going to be well catered for as recent menus feature Caesar salad as a starter every single evening except the two formal nights.

1 minute ago, Tablelamp said:

As regards comparisons, I have cruised on other lines, but my main concern is the amount of cutbacks P and O have made since before Covid. I have been looking at various menus in the MDR and buffet and can see no shellfish whatsoever.

If you like Caesar salad you are going to be well catered for as recent menus feature Caesar salad as a starter every single evening except the two formal nights.

It has replaced the prawn cocktail, which is a shame.

Arvia put on a 23:00 show in the Sky Dome last night called ‘X’ OMG we may as well have taken our bed up to see the show as the cabin was ‘bouncing’. Anybody who has seen this show will know what I mean 😬

Noise aside we’re still enjoying our trip and despite a few issues it’s been pretty damn good considering what we paid. To clear up an earlier enquiry, yes, the balconies on 15 deck near the Sky Dome are noisy too. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, devonuk said:

Booked on the left walk ins on the right… the queue at one stage reached the length of this particular corridor. No drinks or chairs offered, very hot and claustrophobic and this led to arguments between guest unfortunately 😳

7A3AF74E-7C4B-408F-8621-417CD4EC8E2E.jpeg

My theory on this is the mistake is having an app for a virtual queue but still allowing walk in

Every person on the right needs customer service when they arrive

Which in turn means staff who could be seating the virtual queue on the left are needlessly  having to serve the queue on the right

The queue on the right then get  a pager and have to come back again?

That's madness. This is 2023!!

Just have a virtual queue. Help people use the app.  Everyone in the virtual queue stay in your favourite bar with your favourite drink until you are called by the app

Nobody need queue at all?

What am I missing?

Virtual queues are brilliant. Providing everyone uses them together.

They were invented to stop physical queues ever being needed?

Not only are walk ins having to queue but the walk ins mean the virtual queue have to wait as well? What a waste of everybody's time

Virtual queues for all are the answer. Physical queuing is so old fashioned and no longer needed.

The world has moved on

23 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

My theory on this is the mistake is having an app for a virtual queue but still allowing walk in

Which in turn means staff who could be seating the virtual queue on the left are needlessly  having to serve the queue on the right

Just have a virtual queue. Help people use the app.  Everyone in the virtual queue stay in your favourite bar with your favourite drink until you are called by the app

What am I missing?

Not only are walk ins having to queue but the walk ins mean the virtual queue have to wait as well? What a waste of everybody's time

Virtual queues for all are the answer. Physical queuing is so old fashioned and no longer needed.

The world has moved on

Yes, in an ideal world. However some passengers might not even have a smart phone, or don’t want to use one on holiday. And remember, technology doesn’t always work. There are plenty of reports of the so-called app crashing or dropping out. 
The world is moving on, but P&O’s technology is still way behind. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What am I missing?

The world has moved on

Virtual queue needs the app. Two problems: (1) many P&O cruisers don't own a suitable phone, what would you do with them? (2) the app is unreliable and frequently doesn't work properly - many report it needs constant refreshing as it doesn't move through the queue automatically.  Add to this from my own experience it frequently won't load on to your phone.  The IT "expert" and three separate reception staff tried over three days to get it to load and work on my own and my husband's telephones, once new Iphone and one a year old Samsung.

Following your logic are how are you suggesting these passengers are dealt with, please?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

Arvia put on a 23:00 show in the Sky Dome last night called ‘X’ OMG we may as well have taken our bed up to see the show as the cabin was ‘bouncing’. Anybody who has seen this show will know what I mean 😬

Noise aside we’re still enjoying our trip and despite a few issues it’s been pretty damn good considering what we paid. To clear up an earlier enquiry, yes, the balconies on 15 deck near the Sky Dome are noisy too. 

Oh dear. I'm on a GF balcony saver in a couple of weeks so can't wait to see where we end up...no seriously😆

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip and things have 'settled down' somewhat. 

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Yes, in an ideal world. However some passengers might not even have a smart phone, or don’t want to use one on holiday. And remember, technology doesn’t always work. There are plenty of reports of the so-called app crashing or dropping out. 
The world is moving on, but P&O’s technology is still way behind. 

On both Britania and Iona the app worked perfectly, and my phone is only 2g/3g.   Yes it shut down if I did not not keep it active, but even it did close down, the app was still active when I went back in.

• Like 1