Need help confirming which one is shampoo and which one is soap

dhanakorn

On 1/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Maybe it's just me, but I do *not* like the "bulk" items where they have been sitting there who-knows-how-long, and just keep getting topped up...  How clean is it at the bottom; how often is it thoroughly changed and the full container really *cleaned*?  😟

I'll bring my own or purchase unopened containers somewhere, thank you.

GC

It’s soap, it cleans itself. 🙂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, barric said:

Actually, neither one is "soap".   They are liquid surfactants which include synthetic ingredients like sodium lauryl ether sulfate and thickening, foaming agents.  They work equally well in hard or soft water.   The shampoo will have a small amount of conditioning agent, but is otherwise fairly similar to a body wash.  Many people would not notice a difference in how they work.

SOAP is a solid, anionic surfactant created from lye and fat...sodium stearate for example.  It does not work well in hard water, forming insoluble soap scum.   But it lathers particularly well and has a special feel.  

Fragrance is an additive to liquid "soap" and bar soap.  Has no affect on performance and does not identify one product from another.  The same perfume can be used in all three.  

Bill Nye in the house. 

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Help me out here.  Are you concerned that "who knows how many strangers" have pumped that liquid soap dispenser?

I personally am not concerned as I bring my own bar soap. That "stuff" what ever it is does not do it for me. Others may find group use to be stimulating. To each their own.

20 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Help me out here.  Are you concerned that "who knows how many strangers" have pumped that liquid soap dispenser?

I'm struggling soooooo hard right now to not say the things that I know you and I are both thinking.

But I need someone to help me understand how "communal soap" with a single use dispenser that aliquots (hey look, I'm a fancy scientist too) your portion out to you at one time implies that I am lathering my body with such said soap and returning it back to the original container for the next stranger to reuse. What in the bloody world did this divulge into?

I think I'm going to hop on Amazon and see if I can buy a bottle of bubbles to get here before my next trip in <9 days..... oh mylanta.

• Haha 2

I don't think anyone is arguing that someone is "lathering [their] body with such said soap and returning it back to the original container for the next stranger to reuse" !

So much for the absurd.

[However, and very unfortunately, there *are* some crazies who do seem to get some satisfaction from adulterating things/substances that others will be using...]

Soap (or shampoo) is not a disinfectant.  It helps dislodge/wash away any dirt/etc.

If a large container is continually "topped off" with more, such that the container is never cleaned between uses (perhaps unless it breaks and a new dispenser is put into use?), then any bacteria or mold, etc., that is introduced could slowly grow somewhere, such as in a small crevice where the lower "cap" connects with the main container.

Now, if they'd put bleach in the dispensers, I wouldn't be worried about that!  🙄

(Yes, I'd have other worries about using it, of course...)

In any event, for us - or at least for DH - this is moot.  He has severe allergies, and we always travel with special soap, shampoo, and even hand sanitizer, so he does not end up in some ER.

I don't have that problem, but I still wouldn't use "stuff" that has been sitting around who-knows-how-long-after-who-knows-how-many-times-it's-been-topped-up?

But as with many situations, different people have different opinions and thresholds and can make their own decisions.

GC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Soap (or shampoo) is not a disinfectant.

Okay, you forced me to google.  First result:

Antiseptics and disinfectants | MSF Medical Guidelines

"

Definitions

Disinfectants are used to kill or eliminate microorganisms and/or inactivate viruses on inanimate objects and surfaces (medical devices, instruments, equipment, walls, floors).

Selection

Recommended products

1) Core list

No single product can meet all needs with respect to cleaning, disinfection and antisepsis. However, use of a limited selection of products allows greater familiarity by users with the products in question and facilitates stock management:

• ordinary soap;"

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was mixed up as well on my last cruise (body wash was milky and shampoo was clear)...

Wonder if I would need to book an appointment with my doctor to discuss the potential life threatening effects...

20230215_163726.jpg

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sim1979 said:

Mine was mixed up as well on my last cruise (body wash was milky and shampoo was clear)...

Wonder if I would need to book an appointment with my doctor to discuss the potential life threatening effects...

Now why would  you want to waste your doctors time when you can get all the necessary information from the internet?

• Haha 1

The dispensers are refilled by the cabin steward.  Both shampoo and body wash will have preservatives included to protect against mold or bacterial contamination.  But they are NOT disinfectants.  A pump bottle is a relatively sanitary way to dispense product into ones hands without contaminating the contents.    

Now if you are concerned about the bottles on wall being contaminated during refilling, consider that the juice dispensers in the buffet are also  hand refilled.  Same with the mix that goes into the ice cream machine dispensers. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:58 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Mrs Spiff is one who prefers the bar soap (I can go with the flow, but would prefer bar soap in the shower).  This is why I have about six small bars of soap in my Dopp kit that I've pilfered from hotel rooms I've stayed in.  They're small, and it makes the Mrs happy.

You could be arrested for transporting surfactants without a license!! 😉😎

Personally I’ve got enough allergies that I just bring my own stuff so I have a fallback option if I have a reaction to whatever is on hand. I know I can’t use the stuff in the Spa as I’ve had a reaction to that before.

One year when they were still using the little bottles I used the hair conditioner as body lotion and couldn't figure out why it wasn't soaking in. Once I got my reading glasses I figured it out.

• 2 weeks later...