Probably a Silly Question, but How Do YOU Carry Food Up to Your Cabin?

LEMJMcC

7 minutes ago, cargopilot said:

If your getting the food from Windjammer, would not the proper direction be DOWN to your cabin?

Spent four weeks on Wonder on deck 17.   WJ was definitely "down" to the WJ.  😉 

In fact all Oasis class ships have many cabins above the WJ.  

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There are always dozens lying in the hallway for you to choose from- no charge. 

Have not seen those trays for years now.  

Some pax put their individual plates, cups, glasses, etc. out in the hallway when finished...much of it still with food on it.  Gross...just gross.  Some hallways look like garbage dumps, very unsanitary.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have not seen those trays for years now.  

Some pax put their individual plates, cups, glasses, etc. out in the hallway when finished...much of it still with food on it.  Gross...just gross.  Some hallways look like garbage dumps, very unsanitary.  

It is going to get worse with once a day cabin service. Next used towels will be out with all the other stuff. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

These stretch-to-fit covers from Dollar Tree $1.25 are super lightweight and don't take much room in a suitcase. You can even stack plates on top of them. Couple them with a DT or thrift shop lightweight cafeteria tray and VOILÀ  you have the equipment to do your own room service. Don't forget to tip yourself! 

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 6.17.50 AM.png

Those are exactly what I use from Dollar Tree, and they work incredibly well! So convenient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Are we the only people who think the idea of having food (esp something like pepperoni pizza) in our cabin is sort of gross?  Crumbs, leftovers, odors, wrappers, plates, cutlery and cups.....no thanks.

You may not be the only people, but you are most definitely in the minority 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Are we the only people who think the idea of having food (esp something like pepperoni pizza) in our cabin is sort of gross?  Crumbs, leftovers, odors, wrappers, plates, cutlery and cups.....no thanks.

Cups? Even beverages are gross? I can assure you there is no leftover wine in our cabin 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The cabin is cleaned.   

As a sun phobic redhead the only use I can see for a balcony is to have a leisurely private meal out there.   That does seem like it would be relaxing.  

They also do room service.  Therefore many people don't have a problem with food in the room.  

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I keep a little carton of milk in the "almost cool fridge" in case the milk vat is empty at the coffee machine for my Latte.   The boiled eggs.....midnight snack works well to keep stomach acid at bay since we eat so early.  

But no crumbs, leftovers, odors, wrapper, plates, cutlery, or cups are included.  😉 

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I enjoy sitting out on the balcony with something to snack on and a drink. The gross part will be once a day cabin service where the dirty stuff does not get removed. 

• Like 4

I always look at it like you do for a picnic at the beach, a park, etc.  

"Pack it in....pack it out".  If you can bring it into the cabin, you can bring the plates back out to return to  from where you found them.   Beats having dirty dishes in the cabin, and most definitely less gross and more sanitary than leaving your garbage in the hallway for someone else to clean up.  😛

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

I always look at it like you do for a picnic at the beach, a park, etc.  

"Pack it in....pack it out".  If you can bring it into the cabin, you can bring the plates back out to return to  from where you found them.   Beats having dirty dishes in the cabin, and most definitely less gross and more sanitary than leaving your garbage in the hallway for someone else to clean up.  😛

I can understand that approach and applaud it - however, sometimes it is really not convenient to do it right away (trying to make a show or get out of the room for a port excursion, etc...). And some people may feel like they are not trying to take that kind of a vacation (DIY), but would prefer to be a bit more pampered for the increased price of a cruise vacation vs camping. If you get room service at a nice hotel, you don't take your own dishes back to the kitchen; someone comes and gets them. 

I'd like to see one of those multi-slot tray carts on every half floor, like at IKEA, if you've ever eaten there or another cafeteria-style location. Although, I guess that wouldn't help for food brought up without a tray...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I enjoy sitting out on the balcony with something to snack on and a drink. The gross part will be once a day cabin service where the dirty stuff does not get removed. 

Easy peasy, just chuck it overboard at night!

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:49 AM, LEMJMcC said:

On past cruises I would awaken much earlier than the lovely wife and go out to catch the sunrise ... So what tactics have you successfully employed to carry a bunch of drinks and food up to your cabins?

My husband is on the "Hobbit Diet", which include First Breakfast and Second Breakfast.  He gets up early and goes out to have coffee and a pastry early, and sometimes he brings me back a drink or a pastry.  He never brings so much that he can't easily carry it.  

On 1/9/2023 at 9:36 AM, Scottdalfonso said:

say I wanted to take a few slices of pizza to  the room...can I get a whole pizza to bring up with me? 

Yes, you can get a whole pizza. 

Yes, you can ask them to make something specific for you ... though obviously you'd have to wait for that. 

Yes, you can ask them to put it in a pizza box instead of on a plate. 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, LEMJMcC said:

I checked, but the smallest quantity is a pack of 30.

If you really want one of these, you can get them at a local fast food restaurant.  

On 1/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

if I ever use the buffet, I use one plate for my food, and another, for a cover  even if I’m just walking from the food station to my table.

A napkin could do the same job.  

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yet keeping the dirty dishes around the room isn't good either.  I wish they'd install a "drop spot" of some sort for dirty dishware on each hallway.  

36 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Easy peasy, just chuck it overboard at night!

Not so easy for those of us in the cheap seats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I can understand that approach and applaud it - however, sometimes it is really not convenient to do it right away (trying to make a show or get out of the room for a port excursion, etc...). And some people may feel like they are not trying to take that kind of a vacation (DIY), but would prefer to be a bit more pampered for the increased price of a cruise vacation vs camping. If you get room service at a nice hotel, you don't take your own dishes back to the kitchen; someone comes and gets them. 

I'd like to see one of those multi-slot tray carts on every half floor, like at IKEA, if you've ever eaten there or another cafeteria-style location. Although, I guess that wouldn't help for food brought up without a tray...

We never put plates of half eaten food in the hallway.   If we don't have the opportunity to take plates or cups back to the WJ, ...we simply leave them in the cabin for the attendant to remove, dumping the liquids from the cups down the sink.  Not piled up as garbage dumps in the heavily used carpeted hallway.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We never put plates of half eaten food in the hallway.   If we don't have the opportunity to take plates or cups back to the WJ, ...we simply leave them in the cabin for the attendant to remove, dumping the liquids from the cups down the sink.  Not piled up as garbage dumps in the heavily used carpeted hallway.  

I have been told, more than once, that placing your room service tray in the hallway was the staff’s preferred method 

• Like 2