Probably a Silly Question, but How Do YOU Carry Food Up to Your Cabin?

LEMJMcC

On past cruises I would awaken much earlier than the lovely wife and go out to catch the sunrise.  On my way back to the cabin I would stop by Cafe Promenade to pick up a hot breakfast tea for me, coffee for the wife, and some breakfast pastries for us both.  Also there were many evenings that we would want to enjoy a late night snack and I would again run down to Sorrentos to pick up some pizza and grab some beverages as well.  In either case, I had my hands full!

The problem for me has always been trying to carry all this from the promenade deck back up to the cabin, especially when I had to take the elevators - imagine a guy with two drinks and a bunch of food in his hands trying to hit the elevator button with his elbow or big toe of one foot while balancing on the other!  Anyway, it occurred to me that others have likely solved this dilemma and what better place to find possible solutions than the CC Forum?!

So what tactics have you successfully employed to carry a bunch of drinks and food up to your cabins?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, travisma81 said:

Why aren't there plastic trays like at a fast food place?  They would even come in handy at the Windjammer. 

Trays in "any" buffet are now a thing of the past.  Cuts down on "waste" which includes food waste as well as washing waste. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

On past cruises I would awaken much earlier than the lovely wife and go out to catch the sunrise.  On my way back to the cabin I would stop by Cafe Promenade to pick up a hot breakfast tea for me, coffee for the wife, and some breakfast pastries for us both.  Also there were many evenings that we would want to enjoy a late night snack and I would again run down to Sorrentos to pick up some pizza and grab some beverages as well.  In either case, I had my hands full!

The problem for me has always been trying to carry all this from the promenade deck back up to the cabin, especially when I had to take the elevators - imagine a guy with two drinks and a bunch of food in his hands trying to hit the elevator button with his elbow or big toe of one foot while balancing on the other!  Anyway, it occurred to me that others have likely solved this dilemma and what better place to find possible solutions than the CC Forum?!

So what tactics have you successfully employed to carry a bunch of drinks and food up to your cabins?

For breakfast order room service.  It is free if all you are getting is pastries.  For Pizza.....well, I see no reason to carry a small piece to the room to eat.  I just eat it at the spot, and carry the beverage.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

For breakfast order room service.  It is free if all you are getting is pastries.  For Pizza.....well, I see no reason to carry a small piece to the room to eat.  I just eat it at the spot, and carry the beverage.  

Alternatively, order room service day one and hang on to it, and use it for future trips.

Or take two trips.

Or, be like me, trying to take everything back, and awkwardly drop pastries on the ground. Actually, I recommend skipping that option ...

Edited by Rubyfisch
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Thanks, but you assume 1) it's a small piece and 2) it's only a piece (singular) ;0).

I thought room service is no longer "complimentary" or included in the fare??

Just now, Scottdalfonso said:

say I wanted to take a few slices of pizza to  the room...can I get a whole pizza to bring up with me? 

Now that's what I'm talking about...a whole pizza and a couple of RedBulls right before turning in for the night...I'm all in!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It is disgusting to think that people eat their food after bringing it on to  a crowded. The only thing is worse, is when I see people actually eating on the elevator.

if I ever use the buffet, I use one plate for my food, and another, for a cover  even if I’m just walking from the food station to my table.

m

• Haha 2

We never have.  We just go eat in one of the venues.  DH wakes up earlier than me, and sometimes he goes out on the balcony (he used to go out on deck when we first started cruising) but we just go together to get coffee and breakfast.  Much easier than trying to balance/carry food.   The free coffee onboard always leaves a lot to be desired so we grab one from either Starbucks on Cafe Lattetudes (ship dependent)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Trays in "any" buffet are now a thing of the past.  Cuts down on "waste" which includes food waste as well as washing waste. 

I've seen more people spill trays holding multiple items than single plates/glasses.  Big mess in WJ or wherever it happens.

• Like 1