LIVE South Pacific (Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga) - Eclipse, twelve nights 14 January

Redking

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Redking was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

A few of us, well more like a couple of thousand of us, have decided to take a wee jaunt up to the South Pacific from Auckland and give the Eclipse a change of scene from the majestic scenery of New Zealand.

I thought I’d use the occasion to have a go at doing my first LIVE. Given that we all choose to cruise in different ways and look for different experiences in the ports that we visit, I have put out a call to the members of our Cruise Critic Roll Call to join in (and anyone else who cares to drop by).

About Us

I’ll kick things off by introducing ourselves. We are Kim and Findlay and moved back to New Zealand 3 years ago after spending 18 years in Brisbane, Australia.

I would describe us as reluctant first-time cruisers, choosing a Baltic Cruise 12 years ago (coincidentally on the Eclipse) as our first cruise for the convenience of getting from the UK to St Petersburg whilst taking in the other Baltic capitals. Findlay was not convinced he would enjoy the cruise right up to embarkation day. The rest as they say is now history. We didn’t stop smiling from the moment we boarded. The only thing that wasn’t quite to our taste was the MDR experience and for the next few years we cruised with our two sons in AquaClass which we loved. Fast forward to 2017 and, finding ourselves empty nesters, we gave the suite life a try. Again, as others have said, it’s hard to go back once you’ve dipped your toe in those waters.

Itinerary

I’ll add more on this as we go.

The cruise is a 12-night round trip from Auckland calling at 2 ports in Fiji (both on the main island of Viti Levu), Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga. This will be our restart cruise (our last pre-Rona was the Tahitian Treasures on the Solstice) and doing a local cruise without the hassle of long-haul flights really appealed to us.

My understanding is that this is only the second time that Celebrity has offered this itinerary and it is only offered once in the Australia/NZ season. It is therefore popular as a leg in a B2B with an Australia/ New Zealand cruise.

We are not ones for booking Celebrity Excursions and usually do a combination of independent tours and “winging it” at the port. We have an excursion booked with Celebrity for American Samoa and after much pondering and research, have chosen to wing it for the other ports. Our thinking is that because this is a local cruise for us, we will go with the flow and can always come back again on a land or cruise holiday.

Please join us. Embarkation day -3 and counting!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

We’ll be on the Eclipse starting in February from Sydney and are interested in your impressions of the ship. We know she was scheduled for upgrades that didn’t happen due to Covid, and are wondering how things are going on board. Have a wonderful cruise-sounds like an amazing itinerary! 

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to your “Live”.  In 2019 we sailed out of Sydney around New Zealand then spent 10 days back in Australia driving from Sydney to Melbourne flying back up to Sydney to go out on Explorer to the South Pacific. Great trip! 

Would be interested to hear how doing a Live report effects your holiday. We will be sailing the Caribbean for 47 days on 3 ships in about 2 weeks and was thinking of doing a live. It helps all to get through winter, of course its summer where you are. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

I’ll be following as well, very interested in your impressions of the various ports. We have family in NZ and are planning a visit next Feb to see more of your stunning country and adding an itinerary like this would be perfect! Thanks for doing this live review, hope the wifi cooperates 🤞🥂🚢

• Like 2

Embarkation day -2!

Phew, having myself a wee break from the packing.

16190753_20230112_180757(2).thumb.jpg.ea35afcbfb159441168274a7172ababc.jpg

We had a very busy Christmas and New Year with family visiting from Australia and Scotland. Whilst it was a joy to all be together for the first time in over three years, I counted four “turnaround days” which has given me renewed respect and gratitude for the wonderful job that the Celebrity crews do for us both before and during the cruise.

We’ve spent the last three days getting the house spick and span for our pet/house sitter’s arrival tomorrow.

The first suitcase is packed with one to go and two carry-ons. The ease with which everything went in and the number on scales made me think we must have forgotten a load of stuff. I then remembered that we’re doing a local 12-night cruise and not our usual land/cruise combo which is typically four or five weeks. With that in mind maybe we have packed too much!

We fly up to Auckland tomorrow.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Redking said:

Embarkation day -2!

Phew, having myself a wee break from the packing.

16190753_20230112_180757(2).thumb.jpg.ea35afcbfb159441168274a7172ababc.jpg

We had a very busy Christmas and New Year with family visiting from Australia and Scotland. Whilst it was a joy to all be together for the first time in over three years, I counted four “turnaround days” which has given me renewed respect and gratitude for the wonderful job that the Celebrity crews do for us both before and during the cruise.

We’ve spent the last three days getting the house spick and span for our pet/house sitter’s arrival tomorrow.

The first suitcase is packed with one to go and two carry-ons. The ease with which everything went in and the number on scales made me think we must have forgotten a load of stuff. I then remembered that we’re doing a local 12-night cruise and not our usual land/cruise combo which is typically four or five weeks. With that in mind maybe we have packed too much!

We fly up to Auckland tomorrow.

Cheers! A well-deserved break! Like you, I think I’ve packed too much too 😂

Safe travels up to Auckland tomorrow!

10 minutes ago, nz1 said:

Cheers! A well-deserved break! Like you, I think I’ve packed too much too 😂

Safe travels up to Auckland tomorrow!

And to both of you 🥂

• Like 1

So excited to see your Live Post.   I've been waiting to join you for this wonderful adventure.   While we won't be doing this same cruise will be visiting many of the ports on the repositioning cruise next year.

Hope you have great weather and a great time at sea.   I know you have been anticipating this cruise after so many cancellations.  

• Like 2

Embarkation day -1 starting to feel real.

The day started with some final cleaning and the arrival of our wonderful pet sitters. Our little sausage's stress levels were on the rise following the appearance of the big black boxes.

20230113_102139.thumb.jpg.dbb1eb339f5d9f0ad332bb0ff0fcd42a.jpg

Briefing completed with pet sitter, we headed off to Tauranga Airport for our 40 minute flight to Auckland. Guess who we saw on her final port of the current cruise.

20230113_134500.thumb.jpg.44389314422ef41a22254644ca3d3b88.jpg

This will be our fifth trip to the airport since Christmas and I still notice something new. Dinky little terminal and probably the quietest airport I've ever been to. Little wonder, not too many options on destinations!

20230113_143426.thumb.jpg.7cb6dce14653b034e2f62c7ddcd95437.jpg

20230113_142831.thumb.jpg.405a8d782d0d570fd4f4f3a9363376d2.jpg20230113_143212.thumb.jpg.c63adcc5b024b059f2d34dae49416a80.jpg

Some headless hats, one owner later found.

20230113_142329.thumb.jpg.bad24a4df2971ef975f4e420517d58ae.jpg

20230113_143732.thumb.jpg.f14f6202d232316ede2fe2f23a308a8f.jpg

Transport for today. A bit smaller than tomorrow's.

20230113_150219.thumb.jpg.6b56573776e5cee2172f05a5e7f8ff99.jpg

On the Skydrive bus heading into Auckland City.

20230113_143426.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Redking said:

First cocktails of the holiday Bar Albert. Great roof top bar and views at our hotel, Voco.

20230113_185533.thumb.jpg.41ec3fa866802b17f9e5feaa52e8604d.jpg

20230113_185523.thumb.jpg.f9a5f397b71d7ef72613f8db1dc5795e.jpg

Those are gorgeous cocktails! We walked past the Voco earlier - looks very new! Hope you’re having a great pre-cruise evening ☺️🍸

10 minutes ago, nz1 said:

Those are gorgeous cocktails! We walked past the Voco earlier - looks very new! Hope you’re having a great pre-cruise evening ☺️🍸

They were stunning as was the glassware. Happy precruise evening 🥂

• Like 1

What a great start to your review, I am looking forward to what has to come. Local for you perhaps but very exotic for the rest of us. My sister lived in NZ for 5 years and used the opportunity to visit many places on your cruise. I have lots of friends who now live in your neck of the woods. Bay of Plenty - lucky you! Have a great time😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluetardis said:

Drinks look delicious. Your little dachshund is adorable. This is my Niles

2494EC8D-DCDE-4BB0-AFC6-31050956CA34.jpeg

Hey, don't do that or we will also start posting our adorable puppy pictures here (me included).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1