1 Bottle Of Wine Per Adult Question

meanmom08

The general answer is NO.  The real answer, is maybe.  People claim to have gotten things like that through from time to time, but my thought is why take the risk.  Bring what you know will make it.  We always bring sweet reds along with sprite and make our own wine coolers.  

• Like 1

There was a thread not too long ago about this and it seems like a 50/50 proposition. The stores in my area sell it as wine and it is called wine. How it is marketed shouldn't matter, but I can see some security folks seeing cocktail and rejecting it.

Carnival's policy just says wine, it doesn't specify the flavor or alcohol content etc. So I would say it should be allowed without question. But it all comes down to what do the folks at the pier think.

• Like 2

I'll cast my lot with those who say "not likely" because of the fact that those drinks are labeled 'Margarita" and "Cocktail'.  The security people aren't going to concern themselves with alcohol content, they've got thousands of items to inspect in a short amount of time.

We're going to start bringing some champagne and OJ to make mimosas for sitting on our balcony and watching the sun set. 

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

This has been asked before, and it was confirmed by John Heald that this cocktail is no longer allowed to be brought on as wine.

Rather arbitrary, but I suppose if that's the way they want to go with it they certainly can.

17 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'll cast my lot with those who say "not likely" because of the fact that those drinks are labeled 'Margarita" and "Cocktail'.  The security people aren't going to concern themselves with alcohol content, they've got thousands of items to inspect in a short amount of time.

We're going to start bringing some champagne and OJ to make mimosas for sitting on our balcony and watching the sun set. 

I had a security guard try to take my champagne from me, saying it wasn't wine.  
They ended up taking it to a supervisor who allowed me to keep it. 

From what I've seen the drinks in the OP are sometimes allowed, sometimes not.  Like others have said, it depends on who you get. My last cruise I didn't even take my wine out of my bag, just put it through the xray machine.  So I would have been fine. 

19 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The definitive answer is maybe and port security has complete discretion.

@BlerkOne has the best answer.  Whatever the local carry-on protocol is at the individual port is, that's what rules.  It will also vary from cruise line to cruise line, with Carnival having the least acceptance rate for carry-on beverages.  

On Carnival sailing days at Seattle's Pier 91, a large rain barrel with a bottom spigot is wheeled out to the security area.  Any alcohol (spirits, beer, etc) that is confiscated is opened and poured into this barrel.  At the end of the day, the filled barrel is rolled into a janitor's closet where there is a floor drain (think shower pan), and the bottom spigot is opened and all the collected alcohol flows down the drain.   Any bottled water with sealed caps gets donated, and if the seals have been broken, then that "water" also goes down the drain.

This collection barrel is only used on Carnival days because there is a higher percentage of folks trying to skirt the carry-on alcohol rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, justafem said:

I've brought those on numerous times.  Never an issue.  And if there were, I'd point out the (small) 'wine' on the bottle.

Brought them on my last 5 carnival cruises. 

Do you sail from California?  Most of the people I see who have luck sail out of there. 

7 minutes ago, theavonb said:

If bringing a bottle of wine onboard is the bottle with a screw cap allowed or does it have to be a corked bottle? 

Screw cap is totally fine.  In fact, for the last few years that's all I bring (La Crema pinot noir).

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

If you bring a corked bottle, do they have a cork screw you can use in your stateroom?  Or do you need to bring it?  Or pay a corkage fee?

You can request one from Room Service or from your Room Steward.  No fee for this, but if ordering from Room Service a tip is expected.  I used to carry my own travel size like this:

image.jpeg.3f4ab158a0eaf4e68e558cd537995329.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

If you bring a corked bottle, do they have a cork screw you can use in your stateroom?  Or do you need to bring it?  Or pay a corkage fee?

Corkage fee is charged if you bring your bottle into the MDR or speciality restaurant.  It is not a fee for uncorking the bottle, it is a surcharge for bringing your own wine.

You can bring a corkscrew or ask your room steward for one.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

You can request one from Room Service or from your Room Steward.  No fee for this, but if ordering from Room Service a tip is expected.  I used to carry my own travel size like this:

image.jpeg.3f4ab158a0eaf4e68e558cd537995329.jpeg

Is that TSA friendly?