Best card for avoiding overseas transaction fees

Hi,

We have finally rebooked our covid-failure trip to Norway and UK!!

We have pre-paid a lot of stuff, and the conversion fees etc are substantial.

We usually just use our paywave card 3-5% fees (for NZ), but for the remaining tour balances, and everyday purchases while OS, I have read about the 28 degrees card and the Bankwest Zero platinum mastercard.

There is a lot of complaints on Product review about 28 degrees with payment failures and other difficulities bpay etc??

I looked at Bankest but I was a little worried about the "purchase rate and the ongoing balance transfer rate" of 14.9%".

I was planning to load the card up with cash and use like a debit card, so is there an easy card like my Aussie debit paywave card around without the fees??

thanks 

Many people have reported that they use the 28 degrees card and they recommend it.

I have obtained an ANZ 'rewards Travel Adventures' Visa card mainly because our bank accounts are with ANZ and it is super easy to arrange for automatic payment of the credit card balance. There is an annual fee ($120 I think + $65 for a second cardholder) but we were given 40,000 reward points when we opened the account and have earned points every time we use the card. These points translate to cash. In the three months we have had the card we have earned nearly enough to pay the fee.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We use the 28 degrees credit card for transactions, no issues.

We also have a Citibank debit card for cash advances while overseas, again no issues.

Ditto, and ditto no issues. We've been using them for several years now.

• Thanks 1

We have Citi Bank debit cards. No fees but you don’t earn any interest. Transfer Aussie dollars into the account and spend it as Euro, US dollars, UK pounds, pesos, rupiah, whatever. When you get home, transfer the balance back to your normal account, leaving a few dollars in Citi Bank to keep it active. Simples!

• Thanks 1

Have a look at Ubank.

We have used 28 Degrees Credit Card for overseas spends and Citibank  debit card for years for overseas travel.

Citibank cancelled our cards  due to not using it, even though we had left money in the accounts, they had not been active.

Searched around, read reviews etc and went with Ubank. No account keeping fees, no overseas ATM fees and no foreign transaction fees. Havent used them overseas yet, but are so happy with their product we have transferred all our everyday spending, savings etc from ANZ, who I am over dealing with as they have changed all their accounts and charge fees.

Great savings rates too with Ubank.

It is all online, set up easy and is part of The National Bank.

• Thanks 1

Also  as a happy 28 degree customer I would advise that when we had a huge cancellation debt for a tour due to Covid cancellations in 2020  and the tour operator ws unable due to bankruptcy to refund  28 degrees paid out in full - without any excess charge either.

• Like 3

I also use the 28 degrees card along with the Citibank debit. So far no issues and the customer service I have recieved had been good. On top of that good apps for keeping an eye on your money. My only addition was an ANZ Visa card after Citibank changed to Mastercard. It is not a great rate but I had an experience in Sweden where the 28 degrees wouldn't work but the Visa Citibank did so now I carry one Visa just in case😂

I would also add as a tip download an ATM locator app so you can seek out fee free ATMs. Private ATMs are just taking over everywhere in Europe now and their fees can be a lot worse than many cards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We use the 28 degrees credit card for transactions, no issues.

We also have a Citibank debit card for cash advances while overseas, again no issues.

Yep. Exactly what we've been doing for more than 10 years and heaps of OS trips with no problems whatsoever. 

Citibank has changed slightly and you need to establish a "travel wallet" but still an excellent product for ATM transactions when travelling.

13 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

Have the Bankwest one and no issues, very happy with it.

I have a bankwest card and have been very happy with it.   No annual fees and other pluses.

just remember if you are about to retire Make sure you have a credit card for each partner separately because if one dies and it is not in your name as the holder you will have trouble getting another one.    Age discrimination 🤮

eileen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Have a look at Ubank.

We have used 28 Degrees Credit Card for overseas spends and Citibank  debit card for years for overseas travel.

Citibank cancelled our cards  due to not using it, even though we had left money in the accounts, they had not been active.

Searched around, read reviews etc and went with Ubank. No account keeping fees, no overseas ATM fees and no foreign transaction fees. Havent used them overseas yet, but are so happy with their product we have transferred all our everyday spending, savings etc from ANZ, who I am over dealing with as they have changed all their accounts and charge fees.

Great savings rates too with Ubank.

It is all online, set up easy and is part of The National Bank.

That sounds ideal! I will check it out , thanks 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We always use a bank's ATM or just outside attached to the bank rather than random one.

Maybe my husband is paranoid, but he will only use an ATM outside a bank and if the bank if open at the time. I had always smiled at his caution until we were on a trip in Turkey. One of our companions tried to draw money out of an ATM one evening and the machine 'ate his card'. Our guide called someone, and next thing a police car arrived and our companion was asked to go to the police station with them while they sorted out the problem with his card. While he waited at the police station drinking coffee and talking to the police, the bank manager came from his home, went into the bank and retrieved the credit card. This was then brought to the police station and our friend then driven to our hotel.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

So, I wint be chargedto put money on the card to use like a debit card? Was worried After seeing "purchase rate and the ongoing balance transfer rate" of 14.9%".

We have done that many times but only for charges against the card, not for cash withdrawals. You would have to check if you would be charged for cash withdrawals if the account has a credit balance and what would happen if other debit charges had taken the account into debit (even though you had put money into the account). 

9 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Also  as a happy 28 degree customer I would advise that when we had a huge cancellation debt for a tour due to Covid cancellations in 2020  and the tour operator ws unable due to bankruptcy to refund  28 degrees paid out in full - without any excess charge either.

28 Degrees did a credit card chargeback on a cruise that was cancelled in 2020. We got all of the final payment back through them but the deposit had been made outside the chargeback window unfortunately.

I have used Latitude 28 Degrees for many years with no problems from them at all. I once had a problem while in Beijing when I used an ATM and it did not work, fortunately just returning my card. I contacted 28 Degrees and they were very quick to sort it out for me.   Another time, I had a card stolen in Spain and 28 Degrees did a great job tracking the fraudulent purchases on the card and rebating the money to me. So I would highly recommend them for credit purchases of goods and services

I think you need a separate debit card for withdrawing cash, one with no foreign exchange transaction fees. It's better to have a second card, in any case.  Try to get one that is a different carrier to the credit card, so if it's a Mastercard, choose a debit card that is a Visa card, or vice versa.

In some countries, I found that one card would work but not the other.

And I agree about using an ATM attached to a bank that is currently open for business.  Some of those independent company ATMs in shopping centres are a bit strange and may have hidden fees.  Unlike Australia, in many countries they don't have to disclose the fees they are charging at ATMs before you complete the transaction.

11 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

...It's better to have a second card, in any case.  Try to get one that is a different carrier to the credit card, so if it's a Mastercard, choose a debit card that is a Visa card, or vice versa.

In some countries, I found that one card would work but not the other…

We visited Hong Kong Disneyland what seems a lifetime ago in 2010. They would take Visa but not MasterCard or maybe it was the other way around. 🤷‍♂️ Fortunately I had both cards with me. I think I also had American Express back in those days. 

This was also the trip when we took our very first cruise, 4 nights on Legend of the Seas. Next month we’re doing cruise number 23.  😱😁