Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

Just now, mellon1 said:

LOL.  I would surely hope they clean the chairs after the cruise.  Thus, probably why they sit on the napkin.  I couldn't do it, but of course, we wouldn't have to worry about what to wear!  Here we haven't cruised since 2020 and are looking at 2024 and I wanted to get dressed up as we haven't done anything and am wondering if getting dressed up in a thing of the past.  One of the things I always enjoyed.  

Plenty of people still get dressed up for the "formal" nights. You will not be at all out of place if you want to dress up nicely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Plenty of people still get dressed up for the "formal" nights. You will not be at all out of place if you want to dress up nicely.

Thanks for that comment.  I would feel bad packing things I didn;t wear.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Thanks for that comment.  I would feel bad packing things I didn;t wear.  

On a family cruise with Royal Caribbean, we chose to wear cocktail dresses for ladies and black tie for the men. We ate in the MDR on formal nights and must say I felt hugely uncomfortable as people with shorts and very casual clothes were staring at us…even though we had followed the dress code and they had not…..so it works both ways !!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, rbtan said:

You always seem to find the coolest things! I never saw one of those before.

Unless you've gone into a church that hasn't been remodeled in the past 50 years they're almost impossible to find. I always though they were for hats but I'm reading they were for bulletins & cards also. I guess that's why there a thing of the past. Maybe they could add them to the back of the chairs in the DR's. 😁

13 hours ago, rbtan said:

White & Gold night?

Not very well attended with people dressed in white & gold clothing as it wasn't well published prior to our cruise in Dec. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, PTMary said:

Isn't it their choice what is comfortable? I would think they know better than anyone else what is comfortable to them. 

You are assuming that they have actually worn clothing that is well tailored and thus have something to compare their current clothing to.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

You are assuming that they have actually worn clothing that is well tailored and thus have something to compare their current clothing to.

Makes no difference if their clothes are "well tailored" or not. If they are comfortable, that is what counts. I have occasionally opted for so-called tailored clothes. They have never been as comfortable as an old pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, no matter how much they cost. Some of us don't have a craving to impress others. 

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PTMary said:

Makes no difference if their clothes are "well tailored" or not. If they are comfortable, that is what counts. I have occasionally opted for so-called tailored clothes. They have never been as comfortable as an old pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, no matter how much they cost. Some of us don't have a craving to impress others. 

Mary, there you go again trying to inject logic and a thoroughly practical point of view into into a conversation where these ideas are ridiculed. 

Your thought that Some of us don't have a craving to impress others.will not resonate at all with those who appear to live their lives with a singular focus on impressing others. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, PTMary said:

Makes no difference if their clothes are "well tailored" or not. If they are comfortable, that is what counts. I have occasionally opted for so-called tailored clothes. They have never been as comfortable as an old pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, no matter how much they cost.

I know to some a t-shirt and sweat pants are the most comfortable things around. I am much more comfy in lightweight dress pants and a golf shirt. T-shirts to me are almost as restrictive as wearing a tie, and sweats are much too heavy.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:09 AM, Reina del Mar said:

On a family cruise with Royal Caribbean, we chose to wear cocktail dresses for ladies and black tie for the men. We ate in the MDR on formal nights and must say I felt hugely uncomfortable as people with shorts and very casual clothes were staring at us…even though we had followed the dress code and they had not…..so it works both ways !!!

I’m with you. I hate to stand out because I’m dressed very differently whether it’s because I am or am not “following the rules”. That said, I’d rather be overdressed than underdressed but it is still easier if you know what to expect.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2023 at 1:09 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Are you sure they weren't staring at you for some other reason?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Think we might have noticed!

If people are "staring" at you (which I find a bit of an exaggerated claim), how do you know it was your clothing choices? Could be a piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe. LOL!

Edited by PTMary
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, PTMary said:

If people are "staring" at you (which I find a bit of an exaggerated claim), how do you know it was your clothing choices? Could be a piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe. LOL!

Were you there?

We were a group of eight and everyone was well turned out so we’re all know what we experienced 

I do not use hyperbole,  just describe circumstances as they were !!!!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Were you there?

We were a group of eight and everyone was well turned out so we’re all know what we experienced 

I do not use hyperbole,  just describe circumstances as they were !!!!!!!!!!

You should have told them to take a picture it lasts longer. 😁 

March 2017, we were on RCs Jewel Of The Seas. It was the third night, second leg of our B2B Caribbean cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. My wife's idea.  As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a loud mouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) behind us say, "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whoever he was) and said, “no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin. What did it say"?!  They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head, turned around. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other and my wife also added she was so thankful I didn’t drop the F-bomb on them we both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal.

We no longer take formal wear and not because of that incident. We don't let others intimidate us. I wear Polo/golf style shirts and dockers in the MDR in the evening (except the first evening I always wear shorts and a polo/golf style shirt) and my wife wears slacks and fancy tops. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

You should have told them to take a picture it lasts longer. 😁 

March 2017, we were on RCs Jewel Of The Seas. It was the third night, second leg of our B2B Caribbean cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. My wife's idea.  As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a loud mouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) behind us say, "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whoever he was) and said, “no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin. What did it say"?!  They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head, turned around. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other and my wife also added she was so thankful I didn’t drop the F-bomb on them we both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal.

We no longer take formal wear and not because of that incident. We don't let others intimidate us. I wear Polo/golf style shirts and dockers in the MDR in the evening (except the first evening I always wear shorts and a polo/golf style shirt) and my wife wears slacks and fancy tops. 

You showed em. 😆 LOL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There are a few people on this board that seem to crave attention on formal nights. Most of us just want to be left alone to eat in peace. 

And when they get it, they are offended that they are being stared at. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PTMary said:

And when they get it, they are offended that they are being stared at. 

Very sad comment, that those who follow the suggested code are craving attention. They are choosing to follow what is asked and made to feel uncomfortable for doing so….

Once again…cruiselines need to state a dress code, formal or otherwise..and enforce it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Very sad comment, that those who follow the suggested code are craving attention. They are choosing to follow what is asked and made to feel uncomfortable for doing so….

Once again…cruiselines need to state a dress code, formal or otherwise..and enforce it!!

Like it or not, Princess has changed from the formal cruise line that it use to be in order to survive.

Expecting a cruise line to remain stagnant just to fill the desires of what has become a minority, isn't going to happen. In this transitional period they now are being lenient about accepting everyone dressed as they choose.

Either accept what they've become today or move on to a cruise line that better suites your desires, like P and O, Cunard or Seaborn. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1