Best RCCL ship for 18 month old

Looking for suggestions for the best ship for an 18 month old.  We are planning on going on a multi generational extended family trip in 2025 (Caribbean/Bahamas or somewhere warm 7 day) and have found out we will have a grand baby joining us who will be around 18 months at sailing time.  There will be one baby - rest are adults 20-80 years.  No babysitting required as we have lots of arms available to help mom and dad.  Looking for a ship with baby friendly play areas and possibly splash areas.

4 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Looking for suggestions for the best ship for an 18 month old.  We are planning on going on a multi generational extended family trip in 2025 (Caribbean/Bahamas or somewhere warm 7 day) and have found out we will have a grand baby joining us who will be around 18 months at sailing time.  There will be one baby - rest are adults 20-80 years.  No babysitting required as we have lots of arms available to help mom and dad.  Looking for a ship with baby friendly play areas and possibly splash areas.

Pick for the adults. The baby wont remember a thing and all ships have play areas and splash pools.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Pick for the adults. The baby wont remember a thing and all ships have play areas and splash pools.

It is not about memories, but about comfort during cruise. It’s very convenient to have splash area during hot Caribbean cruise.

We definitely saw splash areas on Oasis class and Quantum class.

If baby will be potty trained by that time he/she can also use kids pools which look nice on mentioned classes.

Not all the ships have baby splash areas! Make sure you pick one of the newer ships that have water areas SPECIFICALLY designed for non-toilet trained children. I would recommend Oasis class as it will have something for everyone of every age.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Not all the ships have baby splash areas! Make sure you pick one of the newer ships that have water areas SPECIFICALLY designed for non-toilet trained children. I would recommend Oasis class as it will have something for everyone of every age.  

Never pick a ship to satisfy an 18 month old. In hot Caribbean weather, the baby should be in the shade or inside. 

• Like 1

I would pick one of these ships

Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships with a Splashaway Bay Water Park:
  • Adventure of the Seas.
  • Freedom of the Seas.
  • Harmony of the Seas.
  • Independence of the Seas.
  • Liberty of the Seas.
  • Oasis of the Seas.
  • Odyssey of the Seas.
  • Ovation of the Seas.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

• Adventure of the Seas.
  • Freedom of the Seas.
  • Harmony of the Seas.
  • Liberty of the Seas.
  • Oasis of the Seas.
  • Odyssey of the Seas.
  • Ovation of the Seas.

Splashaway Bay = tea bags. Nasty!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Splashaway Bay = tea bags. Nasty!

Can't be a nasty as the pools or hot tubs that the adults go in.  Have you seen the hygiene of some of these adults.  The splashaway area is for kids, so you don't really have to worry about it.  He asked what ship would be best for a 18 month old. You said they should be in shade or inside.  So pretty much saying keep them at home?  They don't plan on leaving the baby out there for hours and im sure will use sunscreen.  Most babies that age won't last long before a nap.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

Can't be a nasty as the pools or hot tubs that the adults go in.  Have you seen the hygiene of some of these adults.  The splashaway area is for kids, so you don't really have to worry about it.  He asked what ship would be best for a 18 month old. You said they should be in shade or inside.  So pretty much saying keep them at home?  They don't plan on leaving the baby out there for hours and im sure will use sunscreen.  Most babies that age won't last long before a nap.

Yep, inside like said.

Never go in hot tub.

On our recent cruise, we noticed that a couple brought a small blow-up baby pool with them to the main pool, filled it with water from the shower, and placed it next to their lounge chairs under an umbrella. That toddler had a great time in her own little pool and mom and dad took turns getting in the main adult pool. I had never thought of that but it worked out perfectly for that family! Easy to pack the pool too!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

Ok @rnr4thatsme, 

I guess according to fredmdcruisers you should just take the baby and spray them time to time in the shower and spray them with the hose and keep them in the cabin for the 7 days.  So I guess take turns keeping the baby inside

Or, read the previous post. Great idea. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DustFSU said:

• Adventure of the Seas.
  • Freedom of the Seas.
  • Harmony of the Seas.
  • Liberty of the Seas.
  • Oasis of the Seas.
  • Odyssey of the Seas.
  • Ovation of the Seas.

The navigator and mariner both have splashpads for tots along with the Royal Babies and Tots.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DustFSU said:

• Adventure of the Seas.
  • Freedom of the Seas.
  • Harmony of the Seas.
  • Liberty of the Seas.
  • Oasis of the Seas.
  • Odyssey of the Seas.
  • Ovation of the Seas.

I’d double check, some splash pads don’t allow diapered kids.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d double check, some splash pads don’t allow diapered kids.

Yes he is correct after I did further research, but there are areas they let little ones play in.  You could call RCCL or if you have a travel agent they would know more

23 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

Yes he is correct after I did further research, but there are areas they let little ones play in.  You could call RCCL or if you have a travel agent they would know more

Or you could plan the cruise around what the adults like to do or prefer on a ship. Take the baby along and I promise he/she will enjoy the vacation and the attention of all the relatives. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Or you could plan the cruise around what the adults like to do or prefer on a ship. Take the baby along and I promise he/she will enjoy the vacation and the attention of all the relatives. 

I’m sure no one really cares about the 18 month old but for the parents. Personally I wouldn’t take a toddler on a cruise because when my kids were that age I’d prefer a vacation with a lot of things to do for kids that age, so I could enjoy myself too.

This is the list of the ones with splash zones for babies but some are smaller than others::

• Allure of the Seas.
  • Anthem of the Seas.
  • Freedom of the Seas.
  • Liberty of the Seas
  • Oasis of the Seas.
  • Odyssey of the Seas
  • Harmony of the Seas
  • Symphony of the Seas
  • Wonder of the Seas

Also a few don't have drop off nurseries (whether that is an issue for you or not is for you to consider). I thjnk its jewel, endurance and adventure if I'm not mistaken but you can look it up on the Royal tots and babies page 

• Like 1

Congrats on the G’baby! We are absolutely enjoying being G’parents to our little guy & was looking forward to treating all to a cruise (Wonder of the Seas)  too! Hee hee, surprise, surprise, his little brother is on the way, so we are going to have to wait a little longer. I would suggest making sure they have a nursery for access to the indoor play area as well as a splash pad. Ask your travel advisor to request a high chair for dinner & a pack n play for the room. I kicked around one deck below child play area but decided on deck 6 for easy access  to merry go round & Johnny Rocket (quick breakfast) and little play area too. I know how excited you are, and hope you have a fabulous trip! Memories for a lifetime!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

None. Love, food, attention, and adequate rest are what any 18 month old needs,  whether on land or sea. ❤️

Edited by teddie
  • Thanks 1