What changes would you suggest?

phoenix_dream

(Fun fact- RCCL actually turned a profit in Q3 of 2022. Only a few analysts give any weight to the idea of the company going bankrupt. The real question is how fast can they go back to making money hand over fist. Their very expensive crystal ball is saying, more or less, 2025.)

Eyes need to come off the product and onto shoreside operations. Investment needs to be made into a higher-functioning website, with baked-in dynamic pricing, similar to airlines.

Rather than swapping prices every 3 months, changes should be happening on a near-daily basis, and each sailing should fluctuate independently. Hot itineraries pull in top-dollar, and cheapo repositioning sails (shoutout to anyone else on the May 2023 Millennium LA-Vancouver!) go low enough to fill the ship.

A monthly payment system like Klarna should be used to advertise low installment payments. A $4,000 cruise is only $150/month booked 18 months in advance with a 10% downpayment!

Honestly, the CTO should just be fired at this point. Regardless of the above idea, we all know the website is hot garbage.

Second would take more time and creativity, but they need to use the advantage of being the rare industry where labor is cheaper than material costs. Anywhere a material cost ("stuff") can be replaced with labor ("experience") will help save money without feeling like nickel-and-diming.

An example would be altering the MDRs on future renovations to feature live kitchen stations in sight of passengers. People already pay top-dollar for chefs-counter seating in restaurants on land. If on lobster night, there's a chef hand-broiling each tail for all to see(as far as passengers know. There can still be a backroom station pumping them out en masse), there's an understanding of why each one is so precious and can't be an all-you-can-eat commodity. Does it bring back unlimited lobster? No, but enough people eat with their eyes, and after watching tails get flamed for an hour, I'm sure a large amount will be fine with just one, and a hearty side or another less expensive entree.

Bottom line: It's hard work, but you can't trade something for nothing (or add a fee) and keep excitement up. Celebrity should be making swaps to different ideas, with better cost control.

Edited by kguerriero
  • Like 1

I had someone from RCCL management on a dating app. She said she also regrets the cuts that had to and have to be made. 

For example, she mentioned that a full refurb for the Equinox was planned (we spoke about the ship as my used-to-be-favourite) but had to be canceled. As she works in interior architecture, she said it hurts her to see the ship like it is today.

She also said that cutbacks are not over but contrary still in progress. About all refurb projects are stopped, and they cut back where they can. And that will go on for  quite some time.

My last trip was very good in entertainment, and the Concierge steward was really nice. But food as such and MDR staff were really - well not BAAAAAD but obviously below that what I had known. That needs to change. If the ship looks a bit worn out on the outside... Well, I don´t usually see that unless I go on land (still is a pity though). But I have low acceptance for mediocre food and staff when spending one or two monthly salaries on a cruise.

I understand cruise lines saying "we had such a hard time, we need to recover first". 
Well, it´s the same thing with me. And what I need for that is a perfect vacation...
Sorry X.

Edited by Nemanoxer
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Would love to see more pub style food and even a sit down pub style restaurant.  Could make the buffet smaller to accommodate this.  I would like a more casual dining option that is not the buffet.  I think there is a lot of waste at the buffet and they need to downsize it....sounds like this may already be happening.   Pub style food would typically be cheaper than the MDR fare...thinking burgers, fajitias, fish and chips, wraps etc.  NCL does this well with the O'Shehans resturant.  

I have been saying that for years.  It's almost as if Celebrity is trying to maintain an image of 'class' and a true pub wouldn't fit their style.  Sorry to burst their bubble but at least one lowly beer drinking, pub food eating person has snuck on board a few times already 🙂  I love O'Sheehan's for cozy no pretense atmosphere as well as the ability to sit and get a bite of pub food anytime.  There are some folks that would say that if that is what a person wants then go on NCL but we all know there is more than one factor that goes into how we choose our cruise.

Craft Social seems to be their attempt at this but it feels more like a cigar bar to me that is uninviting and to have to pay for the food there sends a message too.

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You clearly don't live in an area where bread had become "on request" at restaurants - or even worse, on request and with a fee. That brings up even more outrage than serving tilapia!

I think bread on request gets rid of a lot of waste!

15 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I read that they put one into place for the TA community but I have yet to experience it on the guest side including twice yesterday where I gave up each time after over sixty minutes on hold and today I finally got through after over ninety minute wait. 

I recently had two calls with wait times over an hour (first one I finally gave up and called back)- no option for call back.. Ridiculous that a phone call is required to purchase something and receive CC status discount. 

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Funny, not the same.

I would also add that I have cruised probably more than 99% of the people on cruise critic.  I had “passenger status” when I performed on cruise ships (mostly Celebrity).  I cruised 9-13 month contracts with a few months off in between for 4 years. That’s a lot of cruising!  I also had the privilege of seeing how things work behind the scenes. I now cruise as a paying passenger with my family. So yes, I know a thing or two about changes to the industry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Me too.  Lot's of money to be saved by modifying TA commission structure or eliminating TAs.

From what I can find, 64% of all cruises are booked through travel agents. Imagine the cost of hiring enough people to replace them. Also the cost of office space, equipment, and training for them. Lastly, a common complaints about booking direct is the time waiting on line, and inadequately trained agents. If somebody post about not getting the answer they wanted, the replies are “Keep calling back until you do get the answer you want”. You think it will get better??

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

From what I can find, 64% of all cruises are booked through travel agents. Imagine the cost of hiring enough people to replace them. Also the cost of office space, equipment, and training for them. Lastly, a common complaints about booking direct is the time waiting on line, and inadequately trained agents. If somebody post about not getting the answer they wanted, the replies are “Keep calling back until you do get the answer you want”. You think it will get better??

Somehow the airlines figured it out and there are a lot more airline passengers each day compared to cruise passengers.  How about hotel reservations?  Why should cruise reservations be different.  You don't need an army of new people.  The website needs some improvements but it's really not bad to book on-line.  It's not uncommon in other industries but perhaps you pay extra to work with a live person.  

I also think Celebrity should consider “splitting” the company.  Since the bigger, newer ships require more $ to run, make them the mass market version of Celebrity (Relaxed Luxury). Cut the services and food quality (like they’re already doing) and market to the type of crowd that won’t mind a reduction in those things.  It’s all about volume and filling those ships.  

Use the smaller ships of the fleet as the Modern Luxury portion of the fleet.  Continue to offer the same standards and perhaps more, at a higher price.  I know I would pay more if I’m still getting what they advertise and would also spend more onboard if the product is quality. They also put themselves into another category of “premium” with the higher standards.  There will always be people who can afford these things during difficult financial times.  Personally,  I would just cruise less and go big on the luxury version but there are others who are just happy “being at sea”.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Somehow the airlines figured it out and there are a lot more airline passengers each day compared to cruise passengers.  How about hotel reservations?  Why should cruise reservations be different.  You don't need an army of new people.  The website needs some improvements but it's really not bad to book on-line.  It's not uncommon in other industries but perhaps you pay extra to work with a live person.  

I always book over the phone directly with Celebrity.  As long as you double check the reservation for any mistakes after booking it it’s easy peasy.

12 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I always book over the phone directly with Celebrity.  As long as you double check the reservation for any mistakes after booking it it’s easy peasy.

Yep, I agree.  Celebrity made an extra 14% on your reservation.  Why should Celebrity pay 14% to a TA only for the TA to give a kickback to another passenger.  Not fair to you and Celebrity is leaving a lot of money on the table.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

9 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I also think Celebrity should consider “splitting” the company.  Since the bigger, newer ships require more $ to run, make them the mass market version of Celebrity (Relaxed Luxury). Cut the services and food quality (like they’re already doing) and market to the type of crowd that won’t mind a reduction in those things.  It’s all about volume and filling those ships.  

Use the smaller ships of the fleet as the Modern Luxury portion of the fleet.  Continue to offer the same standards and perhaps more, at a higher price.  I know I would pay more if I’m still getting what they advertise and would also spend more onboard if the product is quality. They also put themselves into another category of “premium” with the higher standards.  There will always be people who can afford these things during difficult financial times.  Personally,  I would just cruise less and go big on the luxury version but there are others who are just happy “being at sea”.  

So you are basically saying you would like middle class earners to munch on cafeteria quality food (that´s what we got last time on the Equinox) and only high flyers to enjoy the quality we had in let´s say 2012?

Interesting approach.

We start liking land vacations better every month, anyway.

9 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

So you are basically saying you would like middle class earners to munch on cafeteria quality food (that´s what we got last time on the Equinox) and only high flyers to enjoy the quality we had in let´s say 2012?

Interesting approach.

We start liking land vacations better every month, anyway.

That’s reality and the “new normal” unfortunately.  Wish it wasn’t so but it’s only going to get worse.

33 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Maybe it's counter-intuitive, but careful reading of comments from management and annual reports clearly state that it is the older, smaller ships that are less cost-effective to operate. Partly due to better design and fuel efficiency of newer ships and partly due to holding more passengers across which to spread fixed costs. (Obviously the pax differential applies to the M-class as opposed to the S and E classes, which hold about the same number of souls.)

Also the E-class ships were basically designed from the ground up to cater to the "suite" population. If you repurpose those ships as mid-tier mass market, what are you going to do to sell all those suites onboard??

Apex 146 Sky Suites, 2 Penthouse Suites, 6 Edge Villas, 2 Iconic Suites

Solstice:  44 Sky Suites, 12 Celebrity Suites, 8 Royal Suites, 2 Penthouse Suites

156 suites vs. 66 suites on ships with approximately the same number of passengers.... Viva la difference.

23 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Craft social seems to have disappeared...we did try it and enjoyed it once and then actively looked for it again and couldn't find it.  

It's on Equinox.  Quite popular for college football playoffs during the holiday cruise.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You can still book airline tickets and hotel rooms through travel agencies. With the manpower you have now you are only booking 1/3 of the cruises. Simple math says you have to triple that to get to 100%. Improve the website, kidding right? I’ve been on this board since 2003 and they were complaining about the website then, and it’s now 2023 and the people still complaining about it. Where’s the financing going to come from, last I read they were about $20,000,000,000 in debt.

If the solution is as simple as you say, the first step would be to clean house in Miami, they should have fixed it a long time ago.

20 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Ok.  What are some improvements or benefits that have been added?  I and many others only see things being taken away.  I noticed a big difference on my last cruise with Royal (Celebrity’s Mama) in November.  The food was terrible (even in one of the specialty restaurants), less food choices and super long wait times for everything (staff shortages).  We were also charged for room service.  I was on the same ship pre pandemic and it was a big change from that cruise.  I’m hearing a lot of the same from recent X cruisers.

I didn't say there were things added - just that there were things that were done right. We've sailed twice in the last 7 months (including in January 2023) and we were well fed, super-picky me found something good for dinner every night, our rooms were clean and well tended to, we saw shows, we had plenty of drinks, but more than that, we had really relaxing holidays. The only time we waited for anything was for a tender, and we waited for those in 2012 as well. 🤷‍♂️