DORA The Explorer

hey-buc

We had read all the reviews we could find as to what to do in Cartagena and Dora's name kept coming up. I reach out to her via email and she responded the next day. Our tour was 12-5-2022 and was suppose to be 3 couples but one was a no show. We met exactly where she said she would be and boarded a almost new small bus. She was always narating as we moved along. I can tell you this woman loves her country and her job. All the different walks, and places we saw will last me a lifetime. She provided water if you needed. It was a full 4 hour tour, we would take the bus to the different places and would then walk around while she would tell us what we were seeing. My highlight of the tour was to see the statue of Simon Bolivar at his park, just beautiful. Just a reminder, there are a lot of folks in Cartagena and you will get ask a lot to buy this, buy that from the locals, but just say no thanks and move on. On a scale of 1 to 10, Dora gets a 10. I can honestly say you will not be dissapointed with a booking with Dora. http://www.cartagenatour.com/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We tipped the driver $10, Dora's helper-$20, Dora-$40.  Yes we probably overtipped but it was great tour and were usually a little extra generous tippers.  We figure if we can afford to travel like we do we can pass it forward.  In general at home or travel we tip around 20%.  Everything is US dollars.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise and stopped in Cartagena and used Dora for our excursion and she was WONDERFUL.   She was funny, enthusiastic, witty and you could tell that she loved her country/city with all of the history and knowledge that she shared.      We were in an air conditioned Mercedes van with 10 other people on the tour and were amazed at the beauty of the city.  If you book with her, you won't be disappointed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have moderate mobility issues. I have booked Dora for our cruise. We have to meet her outside the port. She said there is a shuttle to the port area and then about a 1/4 mile walk to get to her is this accurate. Also would it be about the same walk to get the bus for a ship's excursion? Thank you for your help. Stewart.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 1:00 PM, RBAlbany said:

Her website does not mention price.  What did anyone pay for the tour?  Thanks.

I'm not the OP, but I have Dora reserved for a date in February.  Her email said $80 per person in USD, payable at the end of the tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a tour with Dora today. She is as advertised and we had a thoroughly enjoyable tour. If you like Colombian Coffee, she stops at “The Dungeons” which are shops in the old Spanish walls where you can buy some.

We too had a wonderful tour with Dora’s Company. (2/1/2024). There were eight of us in our group formed from our roll call. We had Josie for our tour director and Juan who was our driver who professionally navigated  all the tight narrow traffic congested streets in comfortable a Mercedes air conditioned van.   Josie was  very  professional and fun and shared her culture and country with us. We enjoyed having her.    The view from La Popa was beautiful looking toward the City. We had a nice tour of the Monestary and a peak into the chapel as Mass was in progress. We had a wonderful walking tour around the Old Walled City which is very beautiful.  
This is a great private tour company and the second time we have toured with them.  Highly recommend. I finally met Dora in one of the shops. She is quick to answer emails with all my questions.   If you want to book one of her  great yours book her early. They are a small company and in demand. 

This is a great tour. It was just our party of 3.  We were able to drive to places that the large buses could not. Dora provided a lot of information while showing us the sites of this beautiful city. Highly recommend!

Our group of 17 ladies had a lovely tour of Old Town and highlights of lovely Cartagena with Dora as our guide. Dora was prompt, thorough and professional in all of our communications prior to the trip. She provided complete instructions with a map for meeting in the port area and took great care to see that everyone was safe and enjoyed the tour. The bus was new, comfortable and air conditioned. Her driver and assistant were attentive to our group and helped everyone off and on the bus and helped keep aggressive vendors at bay. Dora's love for her country and culture come through in her narrative and she was most interesting and informative. The tour was a very pleasant mix of walking and riding on the bus with water provided, frequent rest stops and brief opportunities for shopping. We had a most enjoyable day in Cartagena and enjoyed dancing in the square to live music at our last stop for the day! We highly recommend Dora's tour!

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2024 at 9:05 PM, HRHMadonna said:

Our group of 17 ladies had a lovely tour of Old Town and highlights of lovely Cartagena with Dora as our guide. Dora was prompt, thorough and professional in all of our communications prior to the trip. She provided complete instructions with a map for meeting in the port area and took great care to see that everyone was safe and enjoyed the tour. The bus was new, comfortable and air conditioned. Her driver and assistant were attentive to our group and helped everyone off and on the bus and helped keep aggressive vendors at bay. Dora's love for her country and culture come through in her narrative and she was most interesting and informative. The tour was a very pleasant mix of walking and riding on the bus with water provided, frequent rest stops and brief opportunities for shopping. We had a most enjoyable day in Cartagena and enjoyed dancing in the square to live music at our last stop for the day! We highly recommend Dora's tour!

Was there a LOT of walking?

• 3 weeks later...

We also had a fantastic tour with Dora in early March. There were 8 on our tour that day in a comfortable mini-bus/van with good A/C - it does get hot in CO. We were delighted with how much we saw on this tour considering it was a short port time. It is a beautiful, vibrant city with so much history.  Dora, her assistant and bus driver did an excellent job.  If you would like to read more and see photos of Cartagena in my full trip review of the Rotterdam, I am giving the link on the HAL board.  Cartagena begins on post 27.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:08 PM, hmorrow said:

Was there a LOT of walking?

I would say only a moderate amount of walking--most of it was on sidewalks and level ground--nothing I would consider strenuous.  Most of my group members were in the 65-80 year old range and did not find it difficult. Dora's bus would usually drop us off near the attractions and park and then come back for us.  Her assistant and the bus driver were very attentive and assisted us when stepping down from the bus. The assistant also stayed near the back of the pack and made sure everyone stayed with the group. 

I imagine everyone has a different opinion on what would be considered "a lot of walking"--but we found it to be a comfortable pace and no complaints about the amount of walking.