Solo to couple cabin update?

Bxc53

I’m looking to book a cruise next fall as my first solo cruise. The DW has a schedule conflict at the time, but could possibly make it at the last minute .  So, for anyone who has done this or the TA’s that hang out here, is this possible/ common/ easy to convert a solo reservation to a 2 pax in the same cabin? 

27 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

I’m looking to book a cruise next fall as my first solo cruise. The DW has a schedule conflict at the time, but could possibly make it at the last minute .  So, for anyone who has done this or the TA’s that hang out here, is this possible/ common/ easy to convert a solo reservation to a 2 pax in the same cabin? 

Never had an issue in getting a second guest added for just the taxes and fees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have, they repriced my whole cabin. I'd been monitoring the price and it was significantly less, and then *bam* new, inflated, close to end pricing.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

@Ourusualbeachwill know. 

Can book as TBA and name later too. But might not get solo pts. 

I was told that if there's a no show, you do get the points.  Am i mistaken on that?

If that is so, your best bet is to book both of you, and then have your hubby be a no show.  You will get the taxes and port fees back, which is usually (but not always) the difference between a solo fare and a couple fare unless the solo supplement is waived or reduced.

Otherwise, you run the risk of it getting repriced higher to the current price.  Or, a lower price might present itself, and you might get OBC for the difference.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

That is correct.  It changed within the past 6 months

I was told that back in 2019.  There was a slight chance my wife could not join me on an Allure cruise back then and I was told that if she was a no-show, then I would get the bonus points for sailing solo in our room.

2 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Or, a lower price might present itself, and you might get OBC for the difference.

No more getting OBC for price drops after final payment.  Any difference in price before final payment date on a booking that has been paid in full early is refunded to the card on file.

Just now, Rogueperson said:

I was told that back in 2019.  There was a slight chance my wife could not join me on an Allure cruise back then and I was told that if she was a no-show, then I would get the bonus points for sailing solo in our room.

I edited my reply as I misread yours.

You no longer get double points for a no show.  Changed recently.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The lifeboats need to have the capacity.

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

@mjkacmom I was coming to say just that. If you don't book as a couple from the beginning you may not be able to add another guest if the muster station is full. Otherwise, it's super easy you just pay fees & taxes as @Ourusualbeach stated.

This is incorrect. 

Lifeboat/muster capacity is ONLY an issue for third or fourth person added to a room.  Even if booked solo in a double occupancy room, they will always maintain the two-person assignment for that room's lifeboat/muster.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What about studio balcony Ken?

I have studio solo booked on ovation and a friend may want to come.

It was only a $100 deposit,we would have to change cabin .

Would that be a cancellation and rebooking?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I've always been told that a room / category change isn't a cancel/rebook -- if you don't change the sailing date or ship, it's just a room change.  

So you should be able to change from a studio room to a double occupancy room without penalty, then add the second person.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

No extra fees to change cabins on the same sailing, you would just pay the prevailing rate for 2 guests in the new cabin.

You can't have 2 in a studio

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No extra fees to change cabins on the same sailing, you would just pay the prevailing rate for 2 guests in the new cabin.

You can't have 2 in a studio

One more question , I know this is getting technical but you are the man.

It was a C&A promotion for a solo studio balcony.

11 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@brillohead Apologies for providing incorrect information. I was passing along what I was told by a phone rep when I booked as a solo and inquired as to what the process was to add someone. Thanks for the correction.

That's why I always get my info from a reputable travel agent... the phone reps have never even been on a cruise, let alone know all the ins and outs of how bookings happen. 

They've probably only ever run into that situation trying to add on a third/fourth person, and just "assumed" it worked the same way for all rooms.  That's one of the reasons I love Cruise Critic.... so many people have taught me so much about the little details that I couldn't learn on my own!

• Like 3

Just now, Ned11 said:

I got double points when my sister couldn't come last October.

With RCI there's usually three outcomes to any issue: the policy outcome, what most people encounter and the exception - I'll let you figure which one of those you experienced.