Speciality dining fee

vickykay

Hi. I just looked on my cruise planner on the app for cruises in May and October. Both had the speciality dining venues at $70, which is insane. I wonder if Celebrity is planning  another increase?  Can anyone currently on a cruise confirm this?  Thanks. 
May book the three deal package as still reasonable. 

4 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Hi. I just looked on my cruise planner on the app for cruises in May and October. Both had the speciality dining venues at $70, which is insane. I wonder if Celebrity is planning  another increase?  Can anyone currently on a cruise confirm this?  Thanks. 

Which ship and restaurant?

37 minutes ago, vickykay said:

It gets worse...When you buy a multi night dinning package Pre Cruise and go to the final payment they tack on an 18 percent gratuity.

A very thrifty friend once pointed out that the Total  Price of a Specialty Dinning Meal is also including the Price you Paid  (in your cruise fare) for the Meal you Don't Eat in the MDR or OVC ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

It gets worse...When you buy a multi night dinning package Pre Cruise and go to the final payment they tack on an 18 percent gratuity.

A very thrifty friend once pointed out that the Total  Price of a Specialty Dinning Meal is also including the Price you Paid  (in your cruise fare) for the Meal you Don't Eat in the MDR or OVC ?

But there's no food in the OVC (satire)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Buying a package doesn't mean you will get to choose all your specialty restaurants.  You are guaranteed the first one, but then it's a roll of the dice, especially if the ship is nearly full.  Make sure you read the fine print about the packages.  If you reserve the restaurants separately, at a little higher price, you get what restaurants you reserved.  We got caught in that a few years back and could not go to all the restaurants we thought we could.

• Thanks 1

I do not know about other parts of the country, but where I live for $70pp I can have a great meal in a 4 or 5-star restaurant.  Why would I want to pay $70 for a much lesser quality meal on a cruise ship? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, natshala said:

I’m on Ascent in December 2023. Looks like lunch at LeGrand Bistro went from $20 to $30.

Lunch at LeGrand Bistro on my November, 2022 Edge cruise was $30.  The believe this is the current price on all E Class ships.

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm in the Summit in Aug and checked the menu, Le Petit is $70.80 + 18% 🤔.  Did the math, the odd amount of $70.80 over $55.00 is an 28.72% increase

Absolutely NUTS that for a couple, the all in cost is $167.08

We’re on Millennium in March and Le Petit Chef shows $60.00 per person as a regular price. Once you add the 18%, your price would be $70.80 per person. In fact, if one books now, the cost is $55.00 plus gratuity per person due to an 8% discount being offered.

Does your app actually show the $70.80 before gratuity, because I don’t ever recall Celebrity using regular pricing before gratuity that would include cents.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

5 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

We’re on Millennium in March and Le Petit Chef shows $60.00 per person as a regular price. Once you add the 18%, your price would be $70.80 per person. In fact, if one books now, the cost is $55.00 plus gratuity per person due to an 8% discount being offered.

Does your app actually show the $70.80 before gratuity, because I don’t ever recall Celebrity using regular pricing before gratuity that would include cents.

Randy

That explains it, thanks

We've never done specialty dining, however on our upcoming cruise in March, I saw a special in the planner for Tuscan on the first night.  I think it was about $35/pp plus gratuity.  I figured that would be worth it.  However, I don't think I would ever pay $70/pp or more for specialty dining.  I'm happy with the MDR.

• Like 2

I booked Tuscan Grill for $58 for the two of us in Nov. of 2021 for our Feb. 2023 on the Silhouette.  At that time they were not adding the 18% grats to my checkout.  Do you think they will add the grats once we are on ship or will we be "grandfathered in" with no additional grats?  Anyone experienced this?

10 minutes ago, scidee said:

I booked Tuscan Grill for $58 for the two of us in Nov. of 2021 for our Feb. 2023 on the Silhouette.  At that time they were not adding the 18% grats to my checkout.  Do you think they will add the grats once we are on ship or will we be "grandfathered in" with no additional grats?  Anyone experienced this?

They did not add the 18% to any of our dinners that were booked before the change. 

11 minutes ago, luv2camp04 said:

We've never done specialty dining, however on our upcoming cruise in March, I saw a special in the planner for Tuscan on the first night.  I think it was about $35/pp plus gratuity.  I figured that would be worth it.  However, I don't think I would ever pay $70/pp or more for specialty dining.  I'm happy with the MDR.

Every time I go to book that First Night offer it only gives me an 8:30PM seating. Way too Late for us so I have to pass on that offer.

Just now, D. B. said:

Every time I go to book that First Night offer it only gives me an 8:30PM seating. Way too Late for us so I have to pass on that offer.

I get that!  I got us a 6:30 time (which is actually a bit early for us) but we're sailing out of San Juan so sail away isn't until 8:30.