"Routine Maintenance" Cancels April 21 Liberty sailing

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That is odd, since the April 24 cruise is still bookable. 

Maybe they're finally fixing the outdoor TV screen!

We did notice that about three weeks ago they essentially closed out the ship with 'sold out' on everything except Interiors that were going for $6000 per stateroom for 2 people. 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Not sure what kind of "routine maintenance" suddenly cancels a cruise, but whatever it is, Liberty of the Seas April 21 has been cancelled. 

Pretty ballsy for RC to call this routine maintenance. Routine maintenance is scheduled (e.g., performed at regular intervals while the ship is in service or when the ship is scheduled to be drydocked).  Unless a problem needs to be urgently fixed, cruise shop drydocks are scheduled years in advance.  It's not like taking your car in for an oil change. 

Cancelling a cruise with less than 3 months notice makes this seem to be something other than routine maintenance. 

• Like 2

We were on the Liberty of the Seas last March.  We had a B2B booked.  We received a letter in Sept of the previous year that the first leg of our B2B was cancelled due to the ship scheduled for annual maintenance.  We tried to rebook for the week after but never could get what we wanted so we ended up with one week.  It was our 50th wedding anniversary cruise and we had a big on board credit which we lost. We were not happy but we had fun the one week. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Pretty ballsy for RC to call this routine maintenance. Routine maintenance is scheduled (e.g., performed at regular intervals while the ship is in service or when the ship is scheduled to be drydocked).  Unless a problem needs to be urgently fixed, cruise shop drydocks are scheduled years in advance.  It's not like taking your car in for an oil change. 

Cancelling a cruise with less than 3 months notice makes this seem to be something other than routine maintenance. 

Some of the guests are hearing a rumor it is to fix the big screen TV out by the pool. That would incredible if that turns out to be true. Kicking an entire ship load of people off the ship to fix something so trivial. I can't find anything online about what this 'routine maintenance' is that was so important they had to cancel a cruise. 

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Some of the guests are hearing a rumor it is to fix the big screen TV out by the pool. That would incredible if that turns out to be true. Kicking an entire ship load of people off the ship to fix something so trivial. I can't find anything online about what this 'routine maintenance' is that was so important they had to cancel a cruise. 

Agree with you if that is the reason. I could see if they had to replace it maybe having to block off surrounding areas which would have a bigger impact on one's experience, but I'd rather sail with a broken screen or whatever the issue is than be canceled/changed from my chosen date (especially so close to.sail date).

Edited by cruizzing

Lots of reports from recent cruisers about the entire ship doing a lot of shaking.  I bet it is to fix this issue.  If some other issues get addressed that would be great too.  If they have the screen all set they could do that at the same time.  Too much to hope that small improvements like freestyle machines and maybe laser tag could happen at the same time?  Crossing my fingers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Kicking an entire ship load of people off the ship to fix something so trivial.

depending on whats wrong with the tv, if it needs to be replaced or if other parts need to be replaced it may not be so trivial. The only easy way to move big heavy bulky equipment or parts on and of the ship is by using some kind of crane. whenever something is lifted in the air there is always a bunch of risk and liable both on the ship and dock side

15 minutes ago, SNemeth said:

Lots of reports from recent cruisers about the entire ship doing a lot of shaking.  I bet it is to fix this issue.  If some other issues get addressed that would be great too.  If they have the screen all set they could do that at the same time.  Too much to hope that small improvements like freestyle machines and maybe laser tag could happen at the same time?  Crossing my fingers.

They've been through a couple drydocks and haven't added the Freestyle machines, seriously doubt they would add them during a quick 3 day service.

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They've been through a couple drydocks and haven't added the Freestyle machines, seriously doubt they would add them during a quick 3 day service.

I doubt it too, but some in my party have it on their wish list.  Our next cruise is Oasis and we are not on Liberty until May 2024, so we will keep hoping.  

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Liberty isn’t scheduled for another dry dock until 2026; something must have come up that cannot wait until then.  That a cruise is being canceled implies the work either (a) cannot be done with ship operating or (b) passengers might be endangered by the work.  As the TV is a long standing issue, one would think they’d have either repaired it sooner or planned the gap in the schedule months ago.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

As the TV is a long standing issue, one would think they’d have either repaired it sooner or planned the gap in the schedule months ago.

It can't be repaired. It has to be replaced. And with supply chain the way it is, especially for a unique one-off item like this, there probably wasn't a way to pre-plan it.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It can't be repaired. It has to be replaced. And with supply chain the way it is, especially for a unique one-off item like this, there probably wasn't a way to pre-plan it.

Hmm, the supply chain allows numerous one-off item to arrive pre-planned to building and launch of new ships but there was no way to plan this one-off item?

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Hmm, the supply chain allows numerous one-off item to arrive pre-planned to building and launch of new ships but there was no way to plan this one-off item?

supply chain issues has delayed ship launch dates. Norwegian newest ship the Norwegian Viva first sailing got pushed back by a few months

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

supply chain issues has delayed ship launch dates. Norwegian newest ship the Norwegian Viva first sailing got pushed back by a few months

No need to exaggerate.  Viva’s first sailing is delayed seven weeks not a few months.  I did not say cruiselines don’t encounter supply chain issues, I said enough one-off items are making it through the supply chain adequately to build and launch entire ships.  

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

When building a ship, those "one off" items are ordered a couple years in advance.  While diesel engines are not "one off" items, I have known where lines will pre-order engines years before the contract to build the ship is even tendered.  And, each "one off" order delays everything behind it, since the production line has to be retooled for the next "one off" item.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago after boarding a Royal ship in PEV I saw a Carnival ship in the berth next to terminal 18 having it's outdoor screen replaced.  They had a crane lifting several large crates onto the pool deck. 

It's not something they would break down and try to bring all the pieces up through ship elevators or take all the old screen pieces off the ship using ship elevators.  Some pieces might not even fit through inside spaces or a ship elevator.  

Several bins and crates of equipment were lifted by crane to the pool deck.  

Before going to Cape Liberty a few weeks later this is probably high on the list of possibilities.  They might also also need to clean the ship's hull before she starts heading into Canadian waters from Bayonne.  That's another possibility.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

The Navigator finally had the screen replaced a few months ago after being in bad shape since the first of last year and it did not require the ship to be dry docked. It could not be repaired. It was replaced while guests were aboard. Took a few days. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

The Navigator finally had the screen replaced a few months ago after being in bad shape since the first of last year and it did not require the ship to be dry docked. It could not be repaired. It was replaced while guests were aboard. Took a few days. 

Thank goodness! because it still looked awful when we were onboard in September. Thanks for letting us know. 

15 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Then why haven't they replaced it on Liberty?  It has literally been broken for more than a year.